Is chewing on ice the same as drinking water?

Options

Replies

• ultimatemike
    Options
    Yep, and burning a few extra calories........Your body has to work to warm it up!

No, it doesn't. The calories in heating ice and food calories are different by a factor of 1000. You would have to chew an entire litre of ice to burn a couple of calories.
  • n0ob
    n0ob Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
    I just got a KILLER ab workout by trying not to make a scene at work...

yes, chewing on ice is the same as drinking water. even better as it burns an insignificant number of calories by your body to heat it to body temperature.
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    No. Only water is water. Period.

There's no ice meter on MFP for you to track the amount of ice cubes you chewed.
  • cubbies77
    cubbies77 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    uhm. Yes.

Also when you do drink water, drink it cold.It helps speed up your metabolism just a little.

Not enough to make a difference. That's one of those straws people grasp. You might burn about 3-4 more calories drinking cold water.
  • cbart2818
    cbart2818 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    i know you said that it isn't and addiction - but sometimes it is a sign that you need more Iron.

:)

There is truth to this.... when I was in my teens I had a huge craving for ice cubes... turned out I was anemic. Just a thought.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    I don't understand the question.
  • KittieLea
    KittieLea Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    Can you please re-phrase the question?
  • Karabobarra
    Karabobarra Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    HMmN7.gif

lol.....Love this!!!
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    tumblr_lnycarlKHt1qh7y4k.gif
  • hughtwalker
    hughtwalker Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    Either you have no fillings or my compliments to your dentist.
  • T1mH
    T1mH Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Ice is water, coffee is water, pop is water, watermelon is 95% water, a potato is 75% water.

You could never drink "water" and be adequately hydrated. You could never drink liquid and be adequately hydrated. Staying hydrated is important but this 8 glass of water myth thing is not based on science.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    polar-bear-facepalm.jpg
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options
    uhm. Yes.

Also when you do drink water, drink it cold.It helps speed up your metabolism just a little.

IF0oI.gif
  • atamrowski
    atamrowski Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    That gives me an idea............freeze wine...crush it and chew on that! At least I can burn some calories while getting a buzz.
  • n0ob
    n0ob Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
    uhm. Yes.

Not enough to make a difference. That's one of those straws people grasp. You might burn about 3-4 more calories drinking cold water.

a calorie is defined as the energy needed to raise 1 g (1 ml) of water 1*C. Food calories are kilocalories (1000 calories). A liter is 1000 mL.

there, just armed you with all you need to measure the calories burned raising the temperature of most food and water for yourself...
  • looking4au
    looking4au Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I agree with the other posts who state it is really, really bad for your teeth. You may not think so now, but it will show up in the future you can count on that. Also, ice cravings can mean a deficiency in other important vitamins and minerals.
  • hamilton040
    hamilton040 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Chewing Ice can mean you are iron deficient I'd look into it :)
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options
    Ohhhhhhhhh......if you do it right you'll get some protein in the end.... ;)
  • cubbies77
    cubbies77 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    uhm. Yes.

a calorie is defined as the energy needed to raise 1 g (1 ml) of water 1*C. Food calories are kilocalories (1000 calories). A liter is 1000 mL.

there, just armed you with all you need to measure the calories burned raising the temperature of most food and water for yourself...

Oh, okay. I'll just give up going to the gym and chug a gallon of ice-cold water every day instead.

Jennifer-Lawrence-ok-thumbs-up.gif
  • felice03
    felice03 Posts: 2,732 Member
    Options
    That gives me an idea............freeze wine...crush it and chew on that! At least I can burn some calories while getting a buzz.

you win the forums today!