Depression!!!

Options
2»

Replies

• SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    It amazes me that people who would never proclaim to diagnose or treat a heart condition or cancer on an Internet forum feel perfectly free to think they know about psychiatric illnesses. See a professional. Now. Depression is an illness and effective treatment is available.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    Also for many people, their drug of choice to fight depression has been food. You take that away and what do you expect? Yes, a crisis. Get treatment.
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    I take 5HTP. You may be suffering from SAD if you live in a state that is not sunny during the winter.

5HTP is a natural serotonin booster but you should not take it if on an antidepressant. I also highly suggest speaking to your dr about taking it in case it could interact with any medications you currently take.

http://www.webmd.com/vitamins-supplements/ingredientmono-794-5-HTP.aspx?activeIngredientId=794&activeIngredientName=5-HTP
  • dustycaravan
    dustycaravan Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    So there are obviously MANY reasons for depression!
    it can be hereditary... hormonal imbalance...vitamin D deficiency..seasonal depression.situational depression ETC..

When I was struggling with it I tried to take care of as many spects at once as possible.

I took a daily safe dosage of Vitamin D drops 1,000 iudrops/day and I took herbal supplements for my adrenals

*adrenal glands are what pump cortisol hormones into your system when they are in constant STRESS they can no longer monitor what they are pumping out!
    since the adrenals are a gland, they affect every other gland in the body that produces hormones...When we have high levels of cortisol in our body we also tend to get the belly bulge or beer belly as a stress response...

So I took herbs that support healthy adrenal function....
    When you are stressed you always deplete your B vitamins first... so I always take a liquid B complex in the morning
    I also take a natural product called 5-htp (this is a mood stabilizer and can keep your waves of depression less extreme think of it as a way to calm the sea, there may still be some bumps but they aren't tsunami waves anymore)

Summary

I took Vitamin D
    Liquid B vitamins

and a product called Veeva that contains 5-htp and some adrenal herbs...

now I believe everything here is safe to take with meds ecept 5-htp as it helps with seratonin... if you are already on an MAO uptake inhibor drug than you may be unable to use 5htp..

but you may still use vitamin D, and your B's
    and you may use adrenal products on there own
    (just go to the health food store and ask for adrenal support)

***always make sure to be aware of any pre existing health conditions that you may have before starting any program if your depression is extreme you should seek help from a qualified doctor/psychotherapist .. this is not intended to diagnose but to open you up to other ways to work on this, with your doctor, nutritionist, psychotherapist /primary health care provider

I am posting this to help, as everyone needs different things, I would recommend doing what feels right for you, and doing what you and your doctor feel is safe for you!

All the best
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with clinical depression at 13, but I was also given a diagnosis much later on of bipolar, which was then retracted after only 1 session, so I have no idea which I have, but I do know that I have attention issues and that I experience long, long periods of not being able to break out of a repetitive routine, or being able to do the things that I shouild be doing. I simply get rooted and stuck, and lose all my creativity.

I was on various medications in the past, but do not wish to be medicated now, and have not taken anything in some years. I bought some 5-htp, but have yet to take it as I also take a sleeping pill, and am always concerned of side effects with anything anyway.

Exercise helps a lot, but outside of that, it can be very difficult to make yourself do things that might help, when you lack the motivation and spark to move yourself.
  • dustycaravan
    dustycaravan Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    OH ASLO please keep in mind, since our B vitamins are depleted when stressed...
    If the body has an insufficient amount of b3 (Niacin) it will convert the 5-htp into b3... so anyone out there using 5-htp with no luck you can try to take a liquid b complex for a bit to make sure that the 5-htp isn't just getting converted to b3 instead of remaining tryptophan!
  • justoneanna
    Options
    Depression is a many layered illness. Most people go through depressed periods, due to stress, grief, and other life factors. This kind of depression reacts well to natural treatments, changes in diet, exercise, fresh air, and other forms of self care, especially if it's caused by a nutritional imbalance (which is a very real thing). Some people go through prolonged depression that responds to therapy and increased coping skills. Others respond well to a variety of meds that treat a variety of chemical imbalances.

In short, if you're feeling a little depressed and sad, double check a lot of the excellent advice, and do a google search on self care and treating mild depression. If you're dealing with severe depression, or long-term, life-impacting chronic depression (even if it's mild) seriously consider seeing a therapist, who can refer you to a psychiatrist.

If you're not sure, I don't think seeing a counselor is ever poorly advised, and talking to someone can really help you with coping skills as you change major factors in your life (and change is common thing to cause stress, which can cause depressive episodes). A good counselor or therapist will not push meds on you, especially if you say you don't want them :) (And they can't prescribe them anyway!)
  • amyllu
    amyllu Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Some very interesting points here but those who say it's because of this or that are soo very wrong!!
    Every sufferer has their own particular thing that affects them ..as has been said already. Myself, as with no doubt a lot of others, I find that it's really a case of finding out how best to manage it as it never goes away.

I have found that if I watch or dwell on things from the past it can start me off on that road.
    Getting over tired is often another cause.

Just this afternoon I was watching a very sentimental film called "Finding a Family". Everything was okay until the remark was made in the film.."everyone has someone that loves them" ..At that I burst into tears because I feel I don't...My daughters who are now in their late 50s never bother to phone or contact me and I barely hear from my sisters either. Because I have learnt over the years that noone else is sitting and weeping at my predicament why waste time doing that either. The feeling still hovers in the background but I know I just have to get up and DO something to get my mind off it.
This discussion has been closed.