Alternative to peanut butter

Options

Replies

• MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    There is no alternative for peanut butter. That said, think outside of the typical breakfast box. Eggs and meat are better protein sources than peanut butter. I think that there is a major stigma that breakfast is supposed to be sweet and mine often is, but sometimes I eat leftover dinner food for breakfast and those are the days that I hit my protein goals.
  • thefewsteps
    thefewsteps Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    cottage cheese, yogurt, greek yogurt, hummus, beans purees, eggs/whites, soy products, soy nuts

all of these have some fat but less than pb and typically less calories. pb is good for you though.

there are direct pb alternatives like pb2 and i think its a brand called marthas. all powders that can mix to form pb. also better'n peanut butter has half the average calories.
    or you can buy peanut flour or soy flour and get creative with what youre making.

also things like flax seed, chia seed, and nutritional yeast can give you an added protein boost.
  • Shadowknight137
    Shadowknight137 Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    Scoop of protein powder with one or two tablespoons of water. Mix it to a thick paste, then spread it on your toast.

Roughly 120kcal, depending on the brand you have.
  • azwen
    azwen Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Amazon sells PB2, too. I bought a jar of each (plain and chocolate) to try, then when I reordered, I bought a 1 lb. bag. I eat it frequently on toast. When the weather warms up, I'll probably use it in smoothies as well.
  • nitrogen_widget
    nitrogen_widget Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    What is the issue with fat? It is calorie dense but it is also essential for health and hormonal balance.

This.
    A serving of PB is roughly 180 cals & 16gs of fat. Easy to fit into macros.
    Something with a higher protein to calorie ration though is vanilla whey & mix it with your coffee as if it were powdered creamer.

On a side note,
    FAT doesn't make you fat.
    Excess calories do.
  • jumcclure
    jumcclure Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt and egg substitute
  • 1stday13
    1stday13 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I hate to sound uninformed but, what is PB2? Is that a brand??
    It where they take a perfectly good peanut butter then suck the life out of it and call it diet food so people don't feel guilty eating peanut butter, or for the people that have fat phobia's. J/K.:wink:
    PB2= Peanuts with all oil ( fat) removed then peanuts are ground into a powder (flour like) that you mix with water to desired consistency. Hence all the flavor of peanut butter without fat. It is really good. ( gives me my PB fix ! ) :drinker: I order mine on line. http://www.bellplantation.com/ Lots of other sites carry it too. :happy:
  • Wolfena
    Wolfena Posts: 1,570 Member
    Options
    I agree that PB2 is great.... and I've even seen it sold in my local supermarket lately - used to have to order it in bulk online!
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    Looking for a lower fat alternative to peanut butter for breakfast protein. Any suggestions?

Whey protein powder, eggs, Greek yoghurt, low fat soft cheese: you can get cheaper peanut flour than PB2. Are you really having that much fat or protein in your peanut butter, serving size is fairly small?
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    PB2= Peanuts with all oil ( fat) removed then peanuts are ground into a powder (flour like) that you mix with water to desired consistency. Hence all the flavor of peanut butter without fat. It is really good. ( gives me my PB fix ! ) :drinker: I order mine on line. http://www.bellplantation.com/ Lots of other sites carry it too. :happy:

peanut flour is generally still 12% fat, including PB2. The comparison on the website is sneaky IMO, they use volume not weight. They say two tablespoons of PB2 is 12g but two tablespoons of peanut butter is more like 30g so obviously it will have more calories.
  • ItsVJ
    ItsVJ Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I'm a peanut butter freak, and this has been one of my most difficult challenges. I've discovered a product called "Better 'n Peanut Butter" and find it to be a pretty darned good replacement. It's the real deal - an all natural product made of peanuts, but it has 85% less fat and only 100 calories per serving - about 1/2 the calories of regular peanut butter. It's really creamy and spreadable - I love it.

I've only found it in one store in my area (St. Louis, Mo.) - one of our high-end supermarkets. But I watch for it everywhere and haven't yet checked online for it. You have to keep it refrigerated after you open it.

If you can find, buy it and give it try!
  • Mommy4812
    Mommy4812 Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    Oh ok. Thanks for the info. Like I said I never looked into it or anything before.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter is a healthy fat. Don't eat an alternative, just eat an all natural peanut butter that only has nuts and oil in it. The fat is good for you. It's all natural, why wouldn't you want it in your body?
  • Deliriant
    Options
    Better n peanut butter is yummy!
    I don't eat regular because it leads to binging so I would recommend this kind:)
  • RawTriGal
    RawTriGal Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    a few good plant sources for protein include hemp seed, quinoa (which you can actually cook up like a hot b'fast cereal and season the same way), lentils.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    I'm a peanut butter freak, and this has been one of my most difficult challenges. I've discovered a product called "Better 'n Peanut Butter" and find it to be a pretty darned good replacement. It's the real deal - an all natural product made of peanuts, but it has 85% less fat and only 100 calories per serving - about 1/2 the calories of regular peanut butter. It's really creamy and spreadable - I love it.

I've only found it in one store in my area (St. Louis, Mo.) - one of our high-end supermarkets. But I watch for it everywhere and haven't yet checked online for it. You have to keep it refrigerated after you open it.

If you can find, buy it and give it try!

Sorry, but look at the ingredients list at Better N Peanut Butter...............far from natural. It has far more than 5 ingredients that have no place in peanut butter........Soy, really???

Natural peanut butter will have 2 ingredients...........Peanuts, salt.

I would say the ingredients of Better N Peanut Butter is anything but the real deal.

Ingredients: PEANUTS (AS DEFATTED PEANUT FLOUR AND NATURAL PEANUT BUTTER), TAPIOCA SYRUP, PURE WATER, DEHYDRATED CANE JUICE, RICE SYRUP, VEGETABLE GLYCERIN, SOY FLOUR, SALT, TAPIOCA STARCH, NATURAL FOOD FLAVORS, PAPRIKA & ANNATO, CALCIUM CARBONATE, LECITHIN, VITAMINS E & C (ANTIOXIDANTS).
  • fionadasein
    fionadasein Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    sunflower seed butter, soy butter, sesame seed butter (tahini) -- look for low sugar -- delicious!
  • alexbusnello
    alexbusnello Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    What is the issue with fat? It is calorie dense but it is also essential for health and hormonal balance.

This. I eat peanut butter everyday and most of the time I have a tablespoon and a half.
  • alexbusnello
    alexbusnello Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    Plus, not everyone can get PB2. I can't where I live and for me to order it is NOT worth it. Plus, it's not in it's natural form and doesn't have all the nutrients that REAL peanut butter or peanuts have. Sure, it's lower in calories, but just make it fit for you. You're missing out on important fats and nutrients.
  • dlc27573
    Options
    Probably savory. I mostly eat peanut butter on toast for breakfast, and I find the protein really helps hold me through till lunch. I am trying to cut down my fat as I am consistently in the red on fat, even when I am under on calories.