Nonfat Milk!

Options
So, I drink a lot of nonfat milk with protein powder, but I feel like it may be too much. Four cups of milk a day! Is that much milk freakishly abnormal, or what?

Replies

• Topher1978
    Topher1978 Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    If I wasn't using fermented milk (kefir) I would easily be doing the same. I usually use the fat-free at night with my casein, otherwise, it is kefir.
  • AussieTrainer
    Options
    the milk looks fine to me; it could be the McDonald's for both lunch and dinner 2 days in a row that may have had better options
  • JonathonMars
    JonathonMars Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    the milk looks fine to me; it could be the McDonald's for both lunch and dinner 2 days in a row that may have had better options

Yeah, totally agree! I work there, and...have yet to take the plunge into pre-cooking and preparing meals for myself. I have zero cooking skills. I can honestly say I have only boiled water a handful of times in my life.
  • DebraYvonne
    DebraYvonne Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    I think that's normal for guys who like milk. Have you ever tried almond milk? I love it. It doesn't have as much protein but its very low cal and lots of calcium
  • NaomiJFoster
    NaomiJFoster Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    You're 'supposed' to have five servings of dairy a day. Personally, I have 3 glasses of milk most days, and some cheese or yogurt. My husband can drink 1/2 a gallon of milk a day...but he's kind of milk-crazy.
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options

Yeah, totally agree! I work there, and...have yet to take the plunge into pre-cooking and preparing meals for myself. I have zero cooking skills. I can honestly say I have only boiled water a handful of times in my life.

Learning to cook will change EVERYTHING about weight loss for you! I promise. Start small, until you gain a little more confidence in the kitchen. You CAN boil water, so that automatically opens up lots of options for you. Try boiling some noodles, then browning some hamburger or chicken cubes in a skillet, and that will open up hundreds more food options. Start small, get comfortable with the basics, and you'll naturally branch out from there. Good luck!

Btw, I think the amount of milk you drink is probably fine, as long as it all fits into your calorie goals. :)
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    Sounds perfectly healthy to me.
  • sbrooks0387
    sbrooks0387 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    i wish i could drink 4 glasses and be happy with that! i went from anti-dairy for about 3 years to i got pregnant with my first son and started downing milk like it was cool. now 2 months after my third son was born i still drink 4 cups of milk a day (sometimes more but i try to stop at 4 and use my cals other places). I still can't stand plain milk though and have to add mix to it.
  • terijoestoes
    terijoestoes Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Are you people nuts? Milk was designed for calves not people!!!!
  • JonathonMars
    JonathonMars Posts: 358 Member
    Options

Learning to cook will change EVERYTHING about weight loss for you! I promise. Start small, until you gain a little more confidence in the kitchen. You CAN boil water, so that automatically opens up lots of options for you. Try boiling some noodles, then browning some hamburger or chicken cubes in a skillet, and that will open up hundreds more food options. Start small, get comfortable with the basics, and you'll naturally branch out from there. Good luck!

Btw, I think the amount of milk you drink is probably fine, as long as it all fits into your calorie goals. :)

Thanks! I think I may make a grocery list and try to make lunch for tomorrow before I go to sleep and make dinner myself, since my schedule actually allows for that tomorrow!
  • kms1320
    kms1320 Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Honey was designed for bees, what's your point?
  • disdatdude
    Options
    Gotta have my cereal, but I would say that I don't have more than 8oz of whole milk in a day. Maybe twice a week I might have 16oz in a day (if I have pancakes I'll drink milk). Back when I used to eat Jelly, as in PBnJ, I used to guzzle milk. Maybe 12oz w/each sandwhich, 2 or 3 times a day! Now that I only eat PB without the jelly I can use anything to wash it down.
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options

Thanks! I think I may make a grocery list and try to make lunch for tomorrow before I go to sleep and make dinner myself, since my schedule actually allows for that tomorrow!

I'd also add to Molly's suggestions that you pickup a few basic cooking books.

The Joy of Cooking is still a great intro book with tons of easy recipes and instructions: http://www.amazon.com/Joy-Cooking-75th-Anniversary-2006/dp/0743246268

There are also some really good cooking instruction videos on Youtube if you browse a bit.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    I drink that much whole milk regularly.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    So, I drink a lot of nonfat milk with protein powder, but I feel like it may be too much. Four cups of milk a day! Is that much milk freakishly abnormal, or what?

no
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    IIFYM
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I drink at least that much everyday. I used to drink a lot more - >10 cups a day in the form of lattes.
  • terijoestoes
    terijoestoes Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    My point is why drink calories with no fiber. All top nutritionists believe we have been pro grammed to think milk is a super food. Not that good for you. 4 cups of honey a day wouldn't be healthy either
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

So?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    My point is why drink calories with no fiber. All top nutritionists believe we have been pro grammed to think milk is a super food. Not that good for you. 4 cups of honey a day wouldn't be healthy either

It's called protein, and I like my lattes