chubby thighs...to resistence train or not?

Options
hey all.
i've been working out for the past 6 weeks. reduced my calories and recently downsized my carb intake even more.
i'm noticing my arms and shoulders are slightly more toned, but not losing ANYTHING from belly or thighs. i understand those are the hardest areas for women to blast, and i'm trying to be patient.

my routine: treadmill 60 mins a day 5-6 times a week with an incline
squats (40) and lunges (40 per leg) about 3-5 times a week (upper body strength training too)
cycling about 3-5 times a week for 30 mins on avg 14 mph

so it's not super intensive, but i'm wondering if this might be bulking me? am i being too lazy? expecting too much? is it an age thing (i'm almost 30)?

i've always had chubby legs, even as a little kid, they're just stocky. but i've been doing this routine on and off for the past 10 years, and always bike a lot in the summer. it used to help almost immediately. i'd see a difference. i won't even get into the stress my stomach fat is causing. that seems to be not going anywhere. i broke down crying in the middle of my work out today.

anyway several sites suggest to do long distance running with some HIIT to burn fat, and THEN start the strength training. what do you think? what have you done that was successful? i don't want to waste any time with ineffective training.

thanks for your help! good luck to everyone in their missions!

Replies

• booyainyoface
    booyainyoface Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    weights. heavy ones. less cardio. you won't get bulky.
  • boomtimebust
    boomtimebust Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    really, less cardio?
    thanks for your input, i appreciate it!
    what kind of exercises do you suggest?
  • canelly
    canelly Posts: 731 Member
    Options
    Ok I will use this pic to show you what I did to slim my legs a bit. I started to use the eleptical for 30 min a day and lil by little I when up in each level till I wasn't sore anymore. I also just picked up running. I been running since November and my legs fat just melt away! They look so nice and toned I love them! But now I want bigger more muscly legs lol.. So I need to start lifting.

7D0F3FFD-0C41-46DC-A87D-AC4E505526C6-4143-0000038CE17062DD.jpg

Ok edit it to add another better pic.

2E3122EC-CD78-4271-A5B7-C330836D41FB-4143-000003AC36AE4930.jpg

I also do lots of squats and lunges by the way.
  • Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    Do you do weighted squats and lunges? How much weight? Why so many reps?

I also think too muh cardio as well. I love cardio but an hour and a half see s a tad too much.
  • MissPeppers
    MissPeppers Posts: 302 Member
    Options

Can I have legs like yours? Pretty please...?
    I also have stocky legs with a lot of muscle underneath that fat layer. But I've seen the changes and I don't do much cardio, only strenght training and it works. Just have to manage the fat loss part first ;-)
  • Tann33
    Tann33 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    :smile:
  • larnsperger
    larnsperger Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Running is an excellent way to tone the legs, so is an elliptical. Squats and lunges are hands down great ways to tone up that area, and you can add weights as you get stronger. You don't mention what you are eating? If you are doing that much cardio consistently I would think you'd begin to see some results, but not if the diet isn't high in good sources of lean protein and vegetables and some fruit. Hang in there trial and error is how we learn:)
  • canelly
    canelly Posts: 731 Member
    Options

Can I have legs like yours? Pretty please...?
    I also have stocky legs with a lot of muscle underneath that fat layer. But I've seen the changes and I don't do much cardio, only strenght training and it works. Just have to manage the fat loss part first ;-)

Them you!!! When I was little I always had big muscly legs but after I had my kids and gains a lot of weight they got really fat. But I'm glad they are getting better now.
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    Here's another vote for weights...my legs were always where I carried my fat. Now they are shapely and lean, ALL DUE TO HEAVY WEIGHT TRAINING!!!

Before: 105 pounds and did nothing but cardio...notice the cellulite!!

oldlegs.jpg

Now: 110 pound and smaller legs with very little unnoticeable cellulite

legs.jpg
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    Ok I will use this pic to show you what I did to slim my legs a bit. I started to use the eleptical for 30 min a day and lil by little I when up in each level till I wasn't sore anymore. I also just picked up running. I been running since November and my legs fat just melt away! They look so nice and toned I love them! But now I want bigger more muscly legs lol.. So I need to start lifting.

7D0F3FFD-0C41-46DC-A87D-AC4E505526C6-4143-0000038CE17062DD.jpg

Great legs, perfect really! Love the muscles.
  • Pixi_Rex
    Pixi_Rex Posts: 1,676 Member
    Options

so it's not super intensive, but i'm wondering if this might be bulking me? am i being too lazy? expecting too much? is it an age thing (i'm almost 30)?

Bulking.. I doubt it. Get into a strength training program you will notice a huge difference.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    weights. heavy ones. less cardio. you won't get bulky.

This! Squats & lunges holding something heavy!
  • vickilm1976
    vickilm1976 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    WOW! Loving this thread, you girls make me want to go out running and then lift some heavy weights! Thanks for my Saturday morning motivation! Beautiful!
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,230 Member
    Options
    hey all.
    i've been working out for the past 6 weeks. reduced my calories and recently downsized my carb intake even more.
    i'm noticing my arms and shoulders are slightly more toned, but not losing ANYTHING from belly or thighs. i understand those are the hardest areas for women to blast, and i'm trying to be patient.

my routine: treadmill 60 mins a day 5-6 times a week with an incline
    squats (40) and lunges (40 per leg) about 3-5 times a week (upper body strength training too)
    cycling about 3-5 times a week for 30 mins on avg 14 mph

i've always had chubby legs, even as a little kid, they're just stocky. but i've been doing this routine on and off for the past 10 years, and always bike a lot in the summer. it used to help almost immediately. i'd see a difference. i won't even get into the stress my stomach fat is causing. that seems to be not going anywhere. i broke down crying in the middle of my work out today.

anyway several sites suggest to do long distance running with some HIIT to burn fat, and THEN start the strength training. what do you think? what have you done that was successful? i don't want to waste any time with ineffective training.

thanks for your help! good luck to everyone in their missions!

It is almost impossible for a woman to put on muscle while in a calorie deficit. A small amount maybe, but most of the change will be in increased strength and endurance.

I also say more resistance, less long boring cardio. Do HIIT instead.
  • boomtimebust
    Options
    WOW, you look amazing! congratulations! thanks for your reply also :)
  • boomtimebust
    Options
    no, no weights on the lunges/squats.
    are 40 reps a lot?
    i do 100-200 crunches a day 5 times a week and i'm not seeing any changes.
    such a novice here!
  • sofielein
    sofielein Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    OMG those are sexiest legs ever!

I seriously would not want to lose an inch from there. Thighs need dimension and flesh to sexy. Skinny thighs are for kids.

I want exactly legs like yours... I need to check what you did there.
  • Hezzietiger1
    Hezzietiger1 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    yes.. always resistance train.
  • Xhell_on_heelsX
    Options
    Oh my lord, If I could get legs like these on here, I'de be a happy girl. Love reading all the replies and getting ideas of what I can do next =]
  • runningwoodpecker
    Options
    OMG those are sexiest legs ever!

I seriously would not want to lose an inch from there. Thighs need dimension and flesh to sexy. Skinny thighs are for kids.

I want exactly legs like yours... I need to check what you did there.

Please do not bash other people's body types.