chubby thighs...to resistence train or not?

Options

Replies

• Tempe729
    Tempe729 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    no, no weights on the lunges/squats.
    are 40 reps a lot?
    i do 100-200 crunches a day 5 times a week and i'm not seeing any changes.
    such a novice here!

It's going to depend on your diet to. You can exercise all you want, but as they say "Abs are made in the kitchen". If you're eating too many "yuck" foods & not enough greens that may be why you're not seeing any difference in your tummy area (no matter how many crunches you do!)

As to the legs I'm in the same dilemma but I've noticed more change since doing HIIT & strength training then I ever did running.
  • Xhell_on_heelsX
    Options
    no, no weights on the lunges/squats.
    are 40 reps a lot?
    i do 100-200 crunches a day 5 times a week and i'm not seeing any changes.
    such a novice here!

What kind of crunches are you doing? Right now I'm doing the Jillian Michaels 30 day shred and she mentions that you need to do regular crunches but also do "reverse crunches", bicycle crunches and those regular cross crunch things..not sure what they are called (the ones with your feet on the floor, not up in the air like bicycle crunches). I just started the program so I havn't really seen results yet..but I'm thinking if Jillian Michaels says to do different kinds then I better do it lol
  • boomtimebust
    boomtimebust Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    sooooo many replies, thanks you guys!

my diet is full of vegetables, but probably too much fruit. i'm always over carb intake because of it.

what are good resistance exercises for legs? by adding weight, do you mean a machine or holding weights?

for future readers, the input tally is:

-leg weights
    -less cardio
    6 people agree

-HIIT
    1 person agrees

-elliptical 30 min/day
    -running
    -weighted squats/lunges
  • Juliejustsaying
    Juliejustsaying Posts: 2,332 Member
    Options
    I'm loving this thread also....I always carry weight in my thighs as well. I've been doing circuit training since May and love the results but still have heavy thighs...still have about 20lbs to lose...what kind of lunges are y'all doing? I'm up to 70lbs on the squat bar.
  • nessagrace22
    nessagrace22 Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • cicisiam
    cicisiam Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    How did you get such a great waist and abs? Legs look great too. Great job!
  • denezy
    denezy Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    I have big thighs... or at least I used to until I started doing spin classes regularly.... and lifting heavy. My legs have been burning for a year, but for the first time in my life I have been getting compliments on my legs (what?!). I kill it in spin class and it has taken a while, but I am almost pleased.

Lift heavy. Way heavier than you think. Then double that.
  • DeanBurrows
    DeanBurrows Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    The one thing that hasn't really been covered is that it's pretty much impossible to isolate fat loss, doing a 1000 crunches a day won't get rid of that belly fat, it will assist in fat loss but not specifically remove fat from that area.

Doing more Cardio (Running/leg based) or Heavy resistance just means you will gain better muscle strength in your leg area, but training that area hard in terms of resistance is good anyway because it being such a large muscle group your overall fat burn would be greater doing legs than if you were not.

My 2 cents;

Less Cardio more Resistance
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    just stopping by so this thread appears in my feed. Some great advice here and you ladies that posted pictures of your results look stunning.

I give this thread 5 stars. Would read again.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty proud of what has happened to my legs as a result of weightlifting. I don't dare post pictures after canelly's though!:laugh: !!

I have no opinion on the 'less cardio' issue because I'm also a runner- my opinion is that you should prioritize the weightlifting and fit the cardio around it however you like.

Squats, deadlifts, lunges, and hill sprints are the ticket to hot legs and a badass booty.
    I have been a runner my entire life, and never had the legs/azz I wanted until I started seriously weight lifting.
  • DeanBurrows
    DeanBurrows Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    my opinion is that you should prioritize the weightlifting and fit the cardio around it however you like.

Squats, deadlifts, lunges, and hill sprints are the ticket to hot legs and a badass booty.
    I have been a runner my entire life, and never had the legs/azz I wanted until I started seriously weight lifting.

This is what i was trying to say :D
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options
    I'm just here for the legspiration, go about cho' business!
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options
    http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wiki/The_Starting_Strength_Novice/Beginner_Programs

i was too ashamed to take before leg pics...but i have a before regular pic.
    lift heavy...3x a week, do cardio a few other days.

33110506_7732.jpg
    33110506_3110.jpg
    33110506_8190.jpg
    33110506_4848.jpg
  • hifromjamers1984
    hifromjamers1984 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Lift heavy. I recommend New Rules of Lifting for Women as a good resource. I'm totally jealous of the pix that have been posted. I want your legs!
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty proud of what has happened to my legs as a result of weightlifting. I don't dare post pictures after canelly's though!:laugh: !!

I have no opinion on the 'less cardio' issue because I'm also a runner- my opinion is that you should prioritize the weightlifting and fit the cardio around it however you like.

^^^ This is spot on. And Canelly and Crankster, your legs look fantastic!
  • marylinemo
    Options
    You should clean your diet and go for heavy lifting twice a week (legs). Targeting the fat on the lower body is generally extremely hard for most women, so be patient. Lifting won't make your thighs look big, it's fat that does that.
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    I'm just here for the legspiration, go about cho' business!

Me too. Leg envy. Have it in spades right now. I think I have great legs, but dang.
  • blondesrntdum
    Options
    I'm always so intimidated going into the lifting room at the gym. I've been using Jillian Michaels' DVDs at home. She focuses more on strength than cardio and I finally feel like I'm noticing a difference in muscle tone, especially my arms. I too have the trouble with my thighs, always have. I think I'll start incorporating some extra squats until I get the courage to hit the lifting room! :)
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I love the way that Canelly says she got her legs from running and body-weight lunges and squats, and all the other posters keep talking about and advocating weight-training, as if they did not even read what she said !
    I am sure you can achieve nicer legs both ways. But, lets face it, if you want to burn a lot of calories fast, running wins hands down. It is also not true that you can run miles and miles and not strengthen and tone your legs. Running and walking are what legs are for.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    I have chubby thighs and lift heavy. They are strong and awesome chubby thighs.