How much does your meat weigh?!

Options
13»

Replies

• FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    I've weighed both before, and after. I believe 4 oz of raw chicken came out to about 3 oz of cooked chicken. If you check the MFP database, I think 4 oz of grilled chicken comes out at a higher calorie count than what you get with the raw numbers.
    This makes sense also. Is there anything you guys weigh besides meat? I know measuring cups can cover quite a bit, but I saw one person say condiments, I never thought of that.
    Everything. Rice potatoes, veg, yoghurt, sugar, flour...you name it. When I make fridge oatmeal, it's easy to add greek yoghurt from a big tub by putting the jar on the scale, zeroing it and adding stuff. Then zero again and add the next ingredient.
  • SMK683
    SMK683 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I weigh after. I use a Weight Watchers scale that converts from ounces to grams. I can zero out the plate, weigh an item, zero it again and add another food to the same plate. This makes it easier to weigh and use the same plate.
  • Hadabetter
    Hadabetter Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    The title of his thread is highly misleading and I am thoroughly disappointed by the lack of humorous replies about meat size from the guys. ;-))
    Yeah me too.
  • 1Fizzle
    1Fizzle Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I've learned a lot from this! Thanks to all of you who took the time to respond!! Any other feedback is welcomed....
  • Topher1978
    Topher1978 Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    If the label says 4oz serving = such and such, they are going by uncooked weight. That is how the MUST label, same with restaurants.
  • laurelobrien
    laurelobrien Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I find it varies greatly! I invested in a kitchen scale a long time ago and get much more accurate calorie results. Always weigh uncooked, as the weight of cooked meat can vary hugely (based on how much water is still in it).
  • VanillaBeanSeed
    VanillaBeanSeed Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Definately weigh!! Portions in a container are usually not portioned correctly!!
  • susanp57
    susanp57 Posts: 409 Member
    Options

Thanks Susan..No, I was just talking about some frozen chicken breast from anywhere, and really any type of food that's typically measured..is grams the standard for measuring?

It's just grams are more accurate. 1 grams = 0.035274 ounces.

As an aside, I've been making most of my own bread. In much of Europe, recipes are set forth in grams rather than by volume like cups or tablespoons. It is much easier to cook that way. And especially when it comes to baking, more precise.
  • 1Fizzle
    Options
    I had no idea measuring entailed so much. I feel incorporating this measuring into my dirt will assist me in dropping more weight and ensuring I'm a bit more thorough in my logging.
  • 1Fizzle
    Options
    I had no idea measuring entailed so much. I feel incorporating this measuring into my dirt will assist me in dropping more weight and ensuring I'm a bit more thorough in my logging.
  • 1stday13
    1stday13 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I find it varies greatly! I invested in a kitchen scale a long time ago and get much more accurate calorie results. Always weigh uncooked, as the weight of cooked meat can vary hugely (based on how much water is still in it).
    Love this post. I have been trying to figure all these things out too...:huh: However with all the different answers, do I just pick the one I like most and go with that :noway: ^ If the before weight includes water why would that be included in serving size? ? Wouldn't it be more accurate after cooking all the water ( or juices) out ? I may be more confused than ever :sad: PS( did enjoy Troll like comments, all I could do not to run with them too ):laugh:
  • susanp57
    susanp57 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    My understanding is that the nutritional information figured for foods in the database here and elsewhere is based on raw foods.

I think figuring caloric intake is as much art as science.
  • 1Fizzle
    Options
    Love this post. I have been trying to figure all these things out too...:huh: However with all the different answers, do I just pick the one I like most and go with that :noway: ^ If the before weight includes water why would that be included in serving size? ? Wouldn't it be more accurate after cooking all the water ( or juices) out ? I may be more confused than ever :sad: PS( did enjoy Troll like comments, all I could do not to run with them too ):laugh:

This is what I thought also..If I weigh a piece of Salmon and it was 6 ounces raw, but after cooking it went down to 4, still log it as 6 is what I see a lot of consensus on. And hey, you can troll and inform also...keeps it fresh and fun...LOL.