New BMI formula. Good news for some..

Options
1235»

Replies

• eillamarie
    eillamarie Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    Great news! In high school I had a six pack but @ 6 feet tall gym teachers told me I was highly overweight because of the BMI calculator!!
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I already commented on how this is actually not a good change for most people. But, it just happens to work for me because I am short with a small frame. For me it says down to just below 98 pounds is still in the healthy weight range. And it's just interesting because for all of my adult life I was always healthy at or above 98 pounds. Going below that (accidentally from being very active and busy) I think I looked too thin. All this new method shows is that the BMI system does not work universally for individuals and there really isn't any way to make it work. The current method says 101 pounds and above is healthy for me now, so it's just a few pounds different, but a few pounds enough to not be considered underweight on paper due to the natural day to day fluctuations. My doctor does not consider me to be underweight and does consider me to be healthy and at a healthy weight for my genetics and frame size. But, I am small framed. For other people this range would be way too low.
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    This says I could be 89 pounds and healthy. I'm short, but I'm not that short.
  • tsikkz
    tsikkz Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Waaah my BMI went up!
  • chellebublz
    chellebublz Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Idk this tells me my healthy weight is 102-137 and ===my goal is 145 lol. Not sure I've ever been 137 or under even when I was skinny as a teenager....
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    I agree with the results of this new formula. The standard one stated I was underweight and I knew I wasn't. Per the new formula, my 18.85 score is within the normal range.

I always believed that the BMI formula failed to factor in a small frame.

It's still a rough measure, but at least this approach is more realistic.
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    Yeah it now puts me ALMOST back at overweight. Despite being 61kg & 159cm tall. Yeah great...thanks.
  • brevislux
    brevislux Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    For me there's hardly any difference...
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    I'm still very much in the healthy weight range so I'm happy.
  • subconscious_ink
    subconscious_ink Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Barely any change here. Still overweight (no kidding! Who knew? :laugh: ) New BMI went up a tiny, tiny bit :ohwell: At 5'4 the weight range is 105 to 142. I felt pretty good at 135 about a year ago, so this seems ok. However, I agree with the rest of the posters that BMI is still a bit silly.
  • lexgem
    lexgem Posts: 163
    Options
    This formula is not accurate at all and would even be dangerous. I have been 3 kg above the low end of the healthy weight according to this formula... in college when I couldn't really afford to eat and my ribs stuck out.
  • Nutella91
    Nutella91 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    i am even more underweight than before
  • vanguardfitness
    vanguardfitness Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    Old was 25.89 (overweight) new is 19.80 (almost underweight! lol)
  • Jonesie1984
    Jonesie1984 Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    yay for me! haha I wonder if they changed it just because people on average are fatter now? Make us feel less bad.. :laugh:

-My weight range is 120-163.2 for someone who is 67.5 which to me is about reasonable. Lord knows I will never be anywhere near that 120 (thank God!) but it ranges consistent with my goal weight of 145ish.