Seriously, what the heck?!?!

Options

Replies

• BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    You are doing everything precisely right except for one thing. Patience. From the sounds of your routine, you're taking all the correct steps. Stick to it, don't give up. This is a long game.
  • JillyCornwall
    JillyCornwall Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    One meal high in salt/sodium can cause a 2-3lb water retention. You are doing everything right, be patient, stick at it, the scales will eventually reflect your effort!
  • sunlover89
    sunlover89 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    The scale means nothing, especially in the first month. Get a tape measure.
  • NightOwlMama
    NightOwlMama Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    you shouldn't worry so much about the scale and #'s. What's important is that your continuing your plan and keep up the good work. Check in next week and it could be quiet possible that you'll lose double the weight. Water weight is always possible but consider the way your clothes feel rather than what that scale tells you. Hang in there your doing great
  • jayliospecky
    jayliospecky Posts: 25,022 Member
    Options
    Yeah, everyone's saying it, but it's just so true. My weight fluctuates like crazy, whether it's TOM or not. And it can swing up to 5 pounds. So yeah, unfortunately it takes patience.
  • LCFulmer
    LCFulmer Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Keep up the good work... weighing yourself every week can get discouraging because it will go up/down as your body adjust to workingout. Muscle DO NOT weigh more than FAT. A pound of muscle is exactly what it is... 1 pound just as a pound of fat is 1 pound. You wouldn't have picked up 1.3lbs of muscle in two weeks... so its more than likely water. Give it time.. check the way your cloths fit and stay off of the scale. I weigh in 1 a month... don't need to added stress of the scale. As for eating back my calories.. I usually only eat back 1/4 - 1/2 depending on when I workout and how much I burned.
  • sixpackdream
    sixpackdream Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    It's water, there are times of the month I can't lose weight and times the weight just falls off, and I'm a guy. Can't imagine what you women go through -lol.

This should be a life change (sorry to use that cliched term), and if you continue to do well you will notice big changes after a couple of months. I think week two is always a strange week for most people because your body is wondering what you are doing to it and it tends to rebel a little.
  • JanaCanada
    JanaCanada Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    Muscle does not weigh more than fat, any more than a pound of concrete weighs more than a pound of feathers. A pound is a pound is a pound. Where the misunderstanding often comes in is that muscle is much more dense than fat, so that, by volume, it seems to weigh more. That is, a pound of muscle occupies less space than a pound of fat. In addition, because a pound of muscle burns more fat than a pound of fat, even at rest, by increasing your lean muscle tissue mass, you're helping your body burn more calories.

But back to your question. If you only have a small amount of weight to lose, then you may feel like the weight training is not helping you move down on the scale. In fact, the number may even go up, but you will look thinner. This is due to an increase in lean body mass (muscle, bone, blood volume) and a decrease in body fat. In other words, even if the scale doesn't change much, you will probably see a difference in how your clothes fit.
  • x_pix_x
    x_pix_x Posts: 21
    Options
    I wouldn't let one week get you down, it's a long term process and its the general trend of weight going down that's the important thing. A weekly weigh is just a snapshot of one particular time during the week, the next morning you could be 1.5 lbs down, 2 up that evening etc. I weigh myself all the time (not saying that's what anyone else should do) because it actually makes me obsess over the numbers less! I take a note of it on a note on my phone with the date and time. It just helps me get a feel of what my body is doing, most mornings were showing a 2lb loss for the week but one randomly showed a 1lb gain, then the next day it dropped again. I can even put on up to 3lbs between a morning and evening weigh in depending on what I've eaten, whether I've been to the loo etc
  • V44V
    V44V Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    1.3lbs of muscle on a week? Perhaps water or not weighing in under the same conditions as before (time of the day, day of the week, pre/post ablution).
  • jpell420
    Options
    I think you are concentrating on short term numbers, maybe? Do everything you know is right and only weigh yourself once a week. Probably water weight. The body fluctuates weight on a pound here or there. Your weight loss will never be a straight line (x,y).
  • mapnerd2005
    Options
    One pound of muscle weights the same as one pound of fat. Muscle is just denser tissue so it takes up less space than fat (sorry, pet peeve).

Weight varies day-to-day, minute to minute, etc, as the scale-jumpers know. Try not to let yourself get discouraged over it. It sounds likes you are doing the things you need to do. You are right that you probably have not gained 1.3 pounds of muscle in a week, but if you have been working your muscles it is quite possible that your muscles are retaining a little extra fluid as they repair themselves. Keep going, and they'll eventually release that fluid. The best part about getting used to working your muscles is that they recover faster and faster, to the point where you won't feel sore like you do in the beginning. I can't wait to get back there, cause being sore SUCKS!!! I've also "gained" a little over a pound the past few days, but even if TOM is not soon, just remember he's a mean sob that messes with you throughout the cycle, not just at the end.
  • SparkleShine
    SparkleShine Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    It's not muscle this fast and while eating at a deficit. But it has only been two weeks. Often you will see a good loss the first week, and then not the next - could be water weight, could be your body adjusting to new eating habits and calorie intake. Give it time. And yes, measurements are a great idea - often the scale will show no loss, but the tape measure will.

Just keep at it and don't let the scale get ya down.

Ditto!!!

Keep at it. You'll see a drop very soon!
  • rebeccahansen3
    Options
    Thanks for the replies everyone! I feel a ton better! I knew it wasn't muscle, but I didn't think I could be holding on to that much water weight in my muscles. I only weigh in once a week so I don't obsess of weight fluctuation, but that was just discouraging after waiting all week for a loss just to get a gain! I'll keep on top of my measurements and just keep rolling with it. THANK YOU everyone! You all rock!
  • determinedbutlazy
    determinedbutlazy Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    It's either 1lb of water or 1lb of poop. Whenever you start a new exercise programme, your body will tend to retain water to repair muscle, once your body has adjusted to the exercise, you will notice the scale drop again.

Do not expect that to happen any time soon, though. You're best off taking before photos and measurements rather than going by the scale.
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies everyone! I feel a ton better! I knew it wasn't muscle, but I didn't think I could be holding on to that much water weight in my muscles. I only weigh in once a week so I don't obsess of weight fluctuation, but that was just discouraging after waiting all week for a loss just to get a gain! I'll keep on top of my measurements and just keep rolling with it. THANK YOU everyone! You all rock!

At my highest weight, I could fluctuate a solid 10 lbs over the course of a week. Water weight fluctuation can vary by your current size, so don't sweat it. It sucks, but try to work on focusing on your fitness and nutrition goals instead. Let the weight come off as it wants. It never comes off in a linear fashion for anyone.

Good luck to you.
  • millzy64
    millzy64 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I started dieting back in August but only started weight training about a month ago. Prior to that the weight was coming off pretty regularly. When I started working out the weight loss stopped and fluctuated for weeks. Today I recorded my first real loss in a while so I feel your pain. Just stay with it and you'll break through and when the weight starts coming off, you'll have toned muscles waiting underneath. Stay with it.
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options
    open your food diary.

also, what the others said about retaining water from exercise..keep at it
  • tlnurse
    tlnurse Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I found that when I ate "ALL" my exercise calories back, I would gain weight as well. I think they are overestimated sometimes. I generally eat "1/2" back and that has helped!

Remember....you are only on "week 2" of a lifetime jouney....don't get discouraged....just keep going!:flowerforyou:
  • alexveksler
    alexveksler Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Yeah, everyone's saying it, but it's just so true. My weight fluctuates like crazy, whether it's TOM or not. And it can swing up to 5 pounds. So yeah, unfortunately it takes patience.

So agree with you. I've seen just about everything in weight fluctuations in the past 18 months :)