Fit Smokers?

Options

Replies

• bradphil87
    bradphil87 Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    Sorry but a 'fit smoker' is an oxymoron! I know you don't want to hear it, but quitting is really the biggest, most important decision you can make for your health over and above healthy eating and exercising. You've made a step by trying to quit. Go the whole hog and kick the sickarette entirely to the kerb. I quit 6 months ago and I'd struggled for years quitting half heardely. A quit smoking forum like this one offers great support http://www.quitsmokingmessageboard.com/. It has no hold on me now. Not meaning to sound smug just some tough love, you've lost weight and look great you can do this!

The harshest criticizers of smokers are former smokers....just as the harshest criticizers of drinkers are recovering alcoholics.
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    Sorry but a 'fit smoker' is an oxymoron! I know you don't want to hear it, but quitting is really the biggest, most important decision you can make for your health over and above healthy eating and exercising. You've made a step by trying to quit. Go the whole hog and kick the sickarette entirely to the kerb. I quit 6 months ago and I'd struggled for years quitting half heardely. A quit smoking forum like this one offers great support http://www.quitsmokingmessageboard.com/. It has no hold on me now. Not meaning to sound smug just some tough love, you've lost weight and look great you can do this!

The harshest criticizers of smokers are former smokers....just as the harshest criticizers of drinkers are recovering alcoholics.

I would also argue that 6 months hardly means you'll never pick it up again. Sorry but I quit for a year once and 3 years another time. Still went back both times. I quit for months over and over. I still think about it sometimes so I'll never say never...
  • Shas2228
    Shas2228 Posts: 187
    Options
    I smoke between 3 and 10 ciggs a day. It really depends on my mood. I'm able to work out just fine. I do have plans on quitting down the road when I'm ready for it.
  • misssiri
    misssiri Posts: 335 Member
    Options

Not true. Some people are just a little self-righteous.

OP, I've known marathon runners that smoked. I never asked the questions you asked so I really don't know. I myself quit smoking 2.5 years ago and didn't start running until after that. I was new to living in Albuquerque at the time so with the elevation there I would be winded going up the stairs. I couldn't imagine attempting to run. I did frequent the gym when I lived in Seattle (smoked before and after) and also living in San Diego and attending dance classes. I don't think I was fit though.
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    I remember that a former roommate used to run and work out hard because he thought it offset the effects of smoking, and he loved to smoke. It seemed to work out for him, but he was young.

I've been reading recently that sitting for more than 3 hours a day (desk job) is as hard on the body (but in different ways) as smoking a pack of cigarettes per day. It's a good thing I don't do both!
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options

So OP sends me this message

(... snip...)

Nice guy. Only trying to help. Can't edit my post now time has lapsed. Plus, last time I checked, the internet is a place where people ask for opinions and people give them. You can't dictate to people to edit their posts. Chill! Think you need a smoke!

I have reported your post. It is against the community guidelines to publicly post a private conversation.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/welcome/guidelines
  • sugarlips1980
    sugarlips1980 Posts: 361 Member
    Options

So OP sends me this message

(... snip...)

Nice guy. Only trying to help. Can't edit my post now time has lapsed. Plus, last time I checked, the internet is a place where people ask for opinions and people give them. You can't dictate to people to edit their posts. Chill! Think you need a smoke!

I have reported your post. It is against the community guidelines to publicly post a private conversation.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/welcome/guidelines

Lol. Quaking in my boots!

I wasn't being self righteous. I struggled for a long time to quit. I joined a quit smoking forum I mentioned and over there it's all about the tough love. Just wanted to tell you about it coz I'm a nice person! You know rumour goes smoking is kinda unhealthy, you're on a fitness site...you can't shoot people for offering advice and support to quit! My intentions were well meaning.
  • sugarlips1980
    sugarlips1980 Posts: 361 Member
    Options

I would also argue that 6 months hardly means you'll never pick it up again. Sorry but I quit for a year once and 3 years another time. Still went back both times. I quit for months over and over. I still think about it sometimes so I'll never say never...

I know I'll never smoke again. Sorry you're not as confident in your quit, but I am in mine. Doesn't mean you should rubbish other people's achievements. Show respect is also in the rules, shall I be as petty as you and report your post?!
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,024 Member
    Options
    I was able to smoke cigarettes before/after doing cardio at the gym. But when I started riding my bike regularly, there was no way to smoke. I could barely breathe.
  • LadyBeryl
    LadyBeryl Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Have you considered starting a MFP group on "Fit Smokers" to discuss the concept of smoking tobacco and staying fit? I doubt that anti-smokers will join a group like that.
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    I don't know if an answer can be had for those that do smoke. If they smoke, is there a way to tell the difference since there are not periods of non-smoking? Does that make sense? It's like there isn't a way to compare.

This is what I was thinking.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options
    I am a runner and a smoker (1/2-1 pack/day). I will be heading out for a long run in a few minutes, said run will be somewhere between 1 1/2 and 2 hrs - which I will immediately follow with a cigarette. So yes, it's possible.

I don't know that I'm "fit", and since I've only ever run as a smoker, I can't say whether it's hurting my fitness or not. If I get around to quitting, maybe I'll have the non-smoker side as a comparison.

Sorry-don't have much to offer to the discussion I guess.

This is sort of what I'm curious about. Do you feel that the cigarettes limit your performance? I assume if you can haul butt for 90 minutes you probably don't have shortness of breath climbing stairs, etc. I have no idea if this question seems silly or not, but have you ever stopped during a run for like a 'smoke break' and then resumed running? When is your last smoke prior to going for a run? (If you don't mind me asking - - it's just an extremely interesting concept.)

I honestly can't tell you if smoking impacts me-because of exactly what spade said-I don't have a non-smoking version for comparison. I would guess that I'd be a faster runner if I didn't smoke, but I really don't know.

I walk for a few minutes to warm up & cool down before/after a run. I usually have a smoke during the warm up & the cool down. I don't take "smoke breaks" during a run-although I've considered the idea lol. The reason I don't isn't due to the absurdity of the idea (sadly), it's because I can't start up again if I stop (same is true for tried "walk breaks" and water stops and anything other than just running).

I will say that the extra 75 lbs of lard I was dragging around made me winded going up the stairs (with or without smoking).
  • Farah_akbar
    Farah_akbar Posts: 1,692 Member
    Options
    OK DON'T JUDGE A BOOK BY ITS COVER EVERY ONE IS NOT PERFECT I am a SMOKER and i am not going be SHAME ABOUT THIS IS HONEST TALKING RIGHT HERE I HAVE BEEN SMOKING SINCE I WAS 15 IN THE SCHOOL DAYS AND I AM 28 AND STILL SMOKING I DID UP WHEN I WAS CARRYING MY BOTH CHILDREN BUT THEN STARTED AGAIN I REASON I SMOKE IS CAUSE OF STRESS SOME PEOPLE GO THOUGH OUT LOT IN THERE PAST WELL I DON'T KNOW ABOUT OTHERS BUT I HAVE BEEN TO HELL AND BACK I LOOK AT A SMOKE AS A FRIEND AND I LET IT OUT ONCE I AM DONE I SMOKE A PACK A DAY AND I STILL AM ABLE TO MAKE IT THOUGH THE DAY WITHOUT NOT ME RACKED SMOKING IS UP TO WHO WANT TO SMOKE THEY SHOULD NOT JUDGE OTHER ITS THEIR LIFE IF THEY WANNA THEN SMOKE IF NOT THEN DONT I AM GOING TO BE HONEST HERE NOW EVERY MORNING BEFORE I GO TO THE GYM I HAVE A SMOKE I WORK OUT FOR LIKE 1 HOUR AND HALF AND I AM OK I LOOK IT AS A COMFIT AND THEN I COME AFTER THE GYM I HAVE ANOTHER BUT YES I WOULD LOVE TO GIVE UP WHEN I AM READY AND NOT WHEN SOMEONE GIVES ME **** ABOUT IT I AM FIT IN A WAY I CAN CANDLE IT I WOULD SAY DON'T JUDGE OTHERS LOOK AT YOUR SELF BEFORE YOU DO

I BETTER I AM GOING TO GET A OF BAD COMMENTS ABOUT THIS
  • taylorwaylor
    taylorwaylor Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    I smoked when i first started working out... I was out of shape too, but i think that the smoking was'nt really helping. I thought running 1 mile was amazing... Lol. I adapted to it quickly but my breathing would get weezy and i'd cough a lot after. I Ran my first 5K when i still smoked and i think my time was about 30mins, It's not that great but considering I did'nt run much before then i think it was good. I think after awhile though, smoking did'nt effect much of my cardio... But when i would quit and then chain smoke when i went out, my lungs felt so gross the next day... yuckkk. But i might have just been choosing to ignore what it was doing to my lungs before. either way, getting healthy has made me quit :) And now i don't even think about smoking.
  • kmorganlfc
    kmorganlfc Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    When I was in my late 20s and early 30s I used to do an incredible amount of cycling, which included time trials and a couple of triathlons. I ran a 10k in 41m19s. But I was quite a heavy smoker. Later in life, I gave up the exercise but not the cigarettes and my health suffered badly for it. I haven't smoked for a number of years and I can clearly tell that not smoking has a significant impact on the way I feel, which is obviously in a more positive way. It is a major regret I have in life to have been a smoker. If I could do 10ks in around 40 mins as a smoker, I certainly feel that doing them in 35mins would have been achieveable if I had never smoked.
  • HuwaydaS
    HuwaydaS Posts: 116
    Options
    Smoking is always bad, no matter what....
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    I smoke about 10-20 cigs per week. Some days I don't smoke at all. Other days I smoke most of my allotment for the week. I did notice ill effects from smoking on my workouts when I smoked a pack a day and worked in a bar with tons of second-hand smoke. At that time I didn't see the benefits of quitting because I would still be smoking everyone else's cigs via their second-hand smoke.

Now I don't really notice much of anything. Even when I mention it to doctors, they tell me I probably should quit but often say "oh that's not so bad" and prioritize it below some of the other things they think I should do for my health. I also run, although I just started again. Like the other poster, I did C25K for a couple of weeks and quit when I realized I could already run most of it straight. If I ever got out of working in bars, I would quit. It's not legal to smoke inside now in my state, but I do keep smoking because I don't get any other breaks and it's the only way I can get away from customers for a minute and avoid committing homicide against a customer. I am not allowed to leave for any other reason except to use the restroom. So I smoke for a way to get away!

On the days I don't work, I don't smoke.
  • RonnieLodge
    RonnieLodge Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    I believe that people who smoke CAN be fitter than people who do not smoke.

On an individual basis, common sense and studies suggest people will have better lung capacity, endurance etc as a non-smoker. Similarly, if the same person has 20kg of excess weight, you would assume they would be fitter/healthier if they dropped the 20kg.

Over the last decade or more I have gone from smoking a pack a day every day for years to not smoking for 6 months to smoking on the weekends and everything in between.

In that same decade I've been 20kg heavier and 7kg lighter but I certainly feel that the last 3 years or so I have been the healthiest and fittest I have ever been, and have unconsciously diminished the amount I smoke down to nothing over the last couple of weeks. (Not because I feel it diminishes my performance but because it is just not doing anything enjoyable for me anymore.)

So yes, I think you can have fit smokers. But they will probably be even fitter as non-smokers.

And smoking 1/2 a pack on a night out probably won't do much other than to make your hangover that bit more unpleasant.
  • Dexy_
    Dexy_ Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    My partner smokes a fair bit, and never exercises. I have never smoked and exercise daily. When he decides to exercise with me (rare), he has way more energy and stamina. It's very possible to be fit and a smoker :)
  • mortyfit
    mortyfit Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    I run 25-35 miles per week in addition to once-a-week spinning, yoga, and zumba.
    12% body fat, cholesterol, blood pressure, all well within the "healthy" range for a nearly 40-year-old man.
    Completed my second marathon several weeks ago with a 3:48:00 finish time.

I have smoked for 17 years. I am down to about 4 packs a week now, gradually decreasing because that is the only way it is going to work for me.

Preaching and scolding does not work, friends. If you really want to help someone quit smoking, encourage them without nagging and understand that there will be times that we REALLY feel we "need" a cigarette. Try one time to talk us out of it by suggesting a different activity, and if it doesn't work, then LET IT GO. The more you nag and throw the "what an idiotic thing to do to your body" type lines at us, the LESS helpful that is. All that serves is to make you feel better about YOURSELF, actually.

So in answer to the OP, yes. You can be fit and still be a smoker. I am. I am working very hard on eliminating the "smoker" part so I can improve to the next level of fitness I want to attain, and that is to get faster and run longer.