Fit Smokers?

Options

Replies

• summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    My husband is former Army, and had a drill instructor that would chain smoke, including while on 10 mile runs. I suppose it's possible to condition yourself to be fit and be a smoker, but that doesn't make it healthy.
  • morticiamom
    morticiamom Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I think there's a YMMV element to this. I've seen smokers with amazing fitness. Would they have been able to achieve even more had they never smoked, or quit early on? No one knows -- it's not evident from looking at them.

Other people, it's quite evident. The last time I had to be admitted to the hospital for severe status asthmaticus (a several days long asthma attack that my regular medication couldn't stop,) I was asked whether I smoked. Being a smart*ss, I gasped out,

"I guess if I did, I'd be dead." Whereupon the doctor taking care of me looked up and, deadly serious, said

"Yep."

The point of the anecdote is that smoking doesn't affect everyone the same. I do, however, believe that, as a general rule, it's immeasurably better to quit.
  • mortyfit
    mortyfit Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    My husband is former Army, and had a drill instructor that would chain smoke, including while on 10 mile runs. I suppose it's possible to condition yourself to be fit and be a smoker, but that doesn't make it healthy.
    I don't know of any smoker who has ever claimed that it is a healthy habit. I am fully aware of the health problems caused by smoking, which is why I have worked as hard as I have to decrease my dependence on it and then quit. None of us who smoke think we are doing a good thing for our body--the question was by the original poster whether you can be "fit" and still smoke. The answer is YES. However, I can be a LOT more fit by quitting smoking while continuing my fitness routine. So that's what I'm working on.
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    My view is that you may well have a high fitness functionality as a smoker and feel you can get away with it while you can perform - in some cases - better than those who are non smoking.

However, smoking sometimes has a way of seeming fine and then suddenly turning around and biting you in the *kitten*. You may get away with smoking and fitness for years but once you are diagnosed with Chronic Obstructive Pullmonary Disorder there is no coming back to full health; no return from Lung Cancer or Heart Disease.

I was a commuting cyclist, runner and dancer into my thirties and used smoking to control my weight. I didn't think it affected my performance.

So to answer the original post, and I believe with respect to the original poster's wishes, I feel you can perform well and appear to be fit and smoke - until your lottery numbers come up and then you get very unfit very quickly.

(Non-self righteous ex-smoker)
  • emandrews1988
    emandrews1988 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I smoked for 10 years, and during those 10 years I pushed through gym classes and countless workouts. Then when I quit smoking for 2 months I didn't really notice any difference in my workouts, but when I started smoking again I was breathless within 10 minutes (I'm a pack a day smoker keep in mind) so I quit the exercise instead of the cigarettes lol. A year later I decided to quit smoking again, this was 2 months ago. After 1 month of eating a ton I realized I gained 15 lbs in a month so here I am working out again lol.

If you aren't experiencing any shortness of breath or chest pain during exercise I would say that its very possible to be a fit smoker, being a fit smoker is much better then being a smoker who does no physical activity!
  • irenematilda
    irenematilda Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I've yet to quit and can't offer any comparisons, but I was just reading Allen Carr's 'Easy Way To Quit Smoking and came across this...

'It is a fallacy that smokers are weak-willed and physically weak specimens. You have to be physically strong in order to cope with the poison.'

I thought it seemed relevant to the discussion.
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    My father was a moderately successful college athlete and then rigorous weekend athlete, all while smoking. He quit around 30 years ago, when he was in his 50s. Six weeks ago, he had a lobe of his lung removed because of lung cancer, which probably was caused by smoking. He's still in the hospital and is struggling with breathing. It's not pretty.

(Non-self-righteous never smoker. Both my parents smoked and if we'd started they would have kicked our a$$es. I'm grateful because i wouldn't want to struggle with an addiction. Both my parents quit decades ago, but both are suffering from illnesses that probably were caused by the previous smoking. The only safe period for which to smoke is NEVER. In 30 years, it will be too late to do anything.)
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    My father was a moderately successful college athlete and then rigorous weekend athlete, all while smoking. He quit around 30 years ago, when he was in his 50s. Six weeks ago, he had a lobe of his lung removed because of lung cancer, which probably was caused by smoking. He's still in the hospital and is struggling with breathing. It's not pretty.

I'm very sorry to hear of what your father is going through. That must be very difficult for him... and for you.
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options

I'm very sorry to hear of what your father is going through. That must be very difficult for him... and for you.

Thank you. I appreciate it. Imagine every breath taken being a struggle. I thought that people who quit years ago were in the clear. Not true.
  • Danni1585
    Danni1585 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I don smoke traditional cigarettes, I switched to electronic 2 yrs ago, it gives me my nicotiene fix without the tar etc. I hav noticed a huge difference in my capacity to exercise, and I Can "smoke" wherever I want, at work, bars etc. I would never judg a smoker but the electronic cigarettes have worked for me.
  • Jongfaith
    Jongfaith Posts: 195
    Options
    I'm not sure I'm fit yet although I am more so than ever before and a smoker. I smoke around 1/2 to a pack a day and try to workout everyday for 30min to an hour. I typically feel weak when pushing my limits especially when lifting but can out run and out lift my non-smoker gym buddy. We joined the gym at the same time at similar weights and I can now run 30 min, dead lift 150 lbs, where she walks and still has yet to attempt a dead lift. Does this make me more fit even though I smoke and she doesn't? I honestly think I just push harder.

Perhaps there is an extra barrier to being a fit person and a smoker but I have seen people finish a marathon and light up so yeah I believe those people are fit smokers.

I do wish to quit smoking but after multiple attempts must admitt I can't do it alone and I am saving up for Chantix or something to help me out due to insurance not covering those quit drugs.
  • PaulFromEssex
    Options
    As a smoker of 30+ years, I do agree that you can be fitter than alot of non-smokers, especially if you train more than them. I do, however, believe that over the years the smoking does catch up on you. I have returned to weight training after an absence of 15yrs, and find my chest / lungs burn like hell when seriously stressed on those last couple of reps. Something that never used to happen when I was younger. This may just be an age thing anyway ... but in my mind I'm convinced its the smokes. Of course I would prefer to be a non-smoker, but after so many attempts over the years, I've given up giving up! lol. So I will continue to smoke and pump (not at same time, you understand) and just have to work that bit harder to overcome the poison I'm inhaling. One day I will stub out my last ciggie ... who knows ... I might even still be alive afterwards! ;o)
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    As a smoker of 30+ years, I do agree that you can be fitter than alot of non-smokers, especially if you train more than them. I do, however, believe that over the years the smoking does catch up on you. I have returned to weight training after an absence of 15yrs, and find my chest / lungs burn like hell when seriously stressed on those last couple of reps. Something that never used to happen when I was younger. This may just be an age thing anyway ... but in my mind I'm convinced its the smokes. Of course I would prefer to be a non-smoker, but after so many attempts over the years, I've given up giving up! lol. So I will continue to smoke and pump (not at same time, you understand) and just have to work that bit harder to overcome the poison I'm inhaling. One day I will stub out my last ciggie ... who knows ... I might even still be alive afterwards! ;o)
    I am a couple of years older than you and I can say it is the smokes. When I started back up running while still smoking it hurt and was nearly impossible. The discomfort went away quickly when I quit smoking.

I smoked on and off from 14 to 51. I quit a few times, several for a year or more, but always restarted. This time I quit using an ecig and was able to stop immediately and have stayed quit for over 2 years. You still get the nicotine without all the other bad stuff. Google "Volcano ecig" if interested.
  • mmddwechanged
    mmddwechanged Posts: 1,687 Member
    Options
    My husband is a smoker and he can outrun me, speed and endurance. And I run more frequently than he does too.
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    I smoked for 33 years (was a pack a day smoker at least 20 of those years), and managed to BE fit for a long time. I smoked all through my military life and did five years of martial arts with being a smoker.
    I quit a year ago and am working on getting fit again. When I was a younger smoker trying to stay fit, I had no issues. As I got older, it became more challenging in that I would get winded easier.
    It is possible to do both, but not forever.
  • PaulFromEssex
    Options
    I am a couple of years older than you and I can say it is the smokes. When I started back up running while still smoking it hurt and was nearly impossible. The discomfort went away quickly when I quit smoking.

I smoked on and off from 14 to 51. I quit a few times, several for a year or more, but always restarted. This time I quit using an ecig and was able to stop immediately and have stayed quit for over 2 years. You still get the nicotine without all the other bad stuff. Google "Volcano ecig" if interested.

Thanks for the link Scott ... and well done on the quitting ... and the running!
  • myers0machine
    Options
    I enjoy a smoke now and then :) I don't worry to much only live a short life everyone has different goals do what it take to get to yours if you can fit smoking into it and still reach your goal then great then reach for another goal simple but bottom line is

You know smoking is stupid. You know you're gambling with cancer, stroke, and other health issues. But did you know you're also sabotaging your strength training?

"Smoking places carbon monoxide in your system, which prevents your muscles from getting as much oxygen to use for energy," says Scott Swartzwelder, Ph.D., a clinical professor of medical psychology at Duke University. "The less oxygen your muscles have to draw from, the less efficient they are at contracting, which can limit their capacity for work."

As for alcohol, it can cover your abs with a layer of lard and interfere with hormones that help build them. "Drinking alcohol on a regular basis can also keep your testosterone levels lower than usual and decrease muscle mass," says Swartzwelder.

Fix it: Quit smoking, and don't worry about becoming a cold-turkey butterball. "Getting in at least 30 minutes of exercise three or four times a week not only helps control body weight, but can also produce positive psychological effects that might diminish the need to smoke," says Swartzwelder. Drinking moderately (two drinks or less per day) won't harm testosterone levels and can actually improve your cardiovascular health, he says.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    I smoke 1 1/2 packs of marlboro menthol 100's a day. I lift, do occasional cardio, and smoking hasn't caused me any noticeable problems. That being said, I'd love to quit because I know it's not good for me long term, but it hasn't affected my fitness.
  • MaryB2
    MaryB2 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Sorry but a 'fit smoker' is an oxymoron! I know you don't want to hear it, but quitting is really the biggest, most important decision you can make for your health over and above healthy eating and exercising. You've made a step by trying to quit. Go the whole hog and kick the sickarette entirely to the kerb. I quit 6 months ago and I'd struggled for years quitting half heardely. A quit smoking forum like this one offers great support http://www.quitsmokingmessageboard.com/. It has no hold on me now. Not meaning to sound smug just some tough love, you've lost weight and look great you can do this!

So OP sends me this message

(... snip...)

Nice guy. Only trying to help. Can't edit my post now time has lapsed. Plus, last time I checked, the internet is a place where people ask for opinions and people give them. You can't dictate to people to edit their posts. Chill! Think you need a smoke!

I have reported your post. It is against the community guidelines to publicly post a private conversation.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/welcome/guidelines

Do you not realize your OP was against the rules? You can't specify who replies to your thread. #15 in the link you posted above.
  • vanguardfitness
    vanguardfitness Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    I smoke hookah about once every 2 months or so. Sometimes I feel winded the next day, sometimes not. My friend said hookah is equivalent to 50 cigarettes. I dunno, I should probably not do it anymore.