people are so ignorant and rediuclous!

Options
Oompa_Loompa
Oompa_Loompa Posts: 1,099 Member
SOOOO i just read that a high school in missisippi is CANCELLING their prom because a female student( apparently she is a lesbian big deal!) is was going to bring a girl as her date and wear a tux..so they cancelled the prom. Im sorry dont want to offent anyone but that is the stupidest thing i have ever heard! People need to mind there business especially with how the world is evovling around that stuff. IS IT REALLY THAT BIG OF A DEAL!! I am want to write a strongly worded letter to that principle...rediculous

Replies

• shanerylee
    shanerylee Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    right on sister. :) thank god for people like you that are minded that way :)
  • crapattack
    Options
  • MercuryBlue
    MercuryBlue Posts: 886 Member
    Options
    Wow, that is ridiculous.
  • Ashia1317
    Ashia1317 Posts: 415
    Options
    I agree.

We talk about not discriminating against races, why sexuality? It's NOT hurting anyone!!!
  • koolk
    koolk Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Dear Oompa_Loompa, just make sure when/if you write to that principal, you use a word editor and spell check.
  • MTGirl
    MTGirl Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    Wow. That is sad. However, Oompa, when you write that letter, use spell check:laugh: (full disclosure: I live and die by spell check!)
  • amelia_atlantic
    amelia_atlantic Posts: 926 Member
    Options
    We were just talking about that in my office.

I cannot believe people could have such ignorance and hate in their hearts in 2010! It's awful.

Just think of the backlash that poor girl is going to get because stupid prom is cancelled....
  • Oompa_Loompa
    Options
    Dear Oompa_Loompa, just make sure when/if you write to that principal, you use a word editor and spell check.
    \

haha lol i know right!
  • GingerSnark
    GingerSnark Posts: 153
    Options
    "Due to the distractions to the educational process caused by recent events"

What educational process is involved with a prom? The only distraction is the fact that they canceled the whole dance. They brought all sorts of attention to the mater by canceling it.

They thought they'd avoid conflict by canceling instead of telling her no or telling her opposite sex only dates. What a crock. Can you imagine what those student are putting that poor girl through? Oh man, kids are brutal but this kind of things really is going to bring out the jerks.
  • T_R_A_V
    T_R_A_V Posts: 1,629 Member
    Options
    WTF is wrong with people these days....honestly who cares.....
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Options
    Although I think it's HORRIBLE. Do you think the reasoning was more like... to prevent riots and violence among students? And not to oppress lesbians? I know I have a tendency to give people too much of the benefit of the doubt.

Edit: Ooooooh, I just read the article and I retract my statement above. I'm not sure there's any "benefit of the doubt" to be given.

I went to high school in SOUTH FREAKING CAROLINA and we had many same sex couples at prom with no problems at all.
  • GingerSnark
    GingerSnark Posts: 153
    Options
    Seriously? Your first post & you're going to come down on her for not using spell check? It's a forum, lighten up on the girl.
  • Ashia1317
    Options
    So we have kids running around in black trench coats, mohawks, and black make up, but a girl wearing a tux to an event? These people are cracked!

Let her be!
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    From what I read, both girls attend the same high school. It bothers me that they are not allowing the lesbian who chooses to wear a tux. How can they restrict what dress attire a girl wears to her own prom? And while both girls could go to the prom as individuals, it becomes an issue when it's formally a "date"? It's not like the kids at school are going to be shocked when they show up together... they go to school with them already and the girls are openly a couple.

I think it is over the top to cancel the prom as well. As the girl in question said, it seems like a ploy to get the entire student body pissed off at her. I think it is awful.
  • Ashia1317
    Options
    Seriously? Your first post & you're going to come down on her for not using spell check? It's a forum, lighten up on the girl.

Yea, i agree. I'm sure she's going to take a much professional approach to the principal than she is to us.
  • lunglady
    lunglady Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, ignorance prevails.........uuuggghhh. :ohwell:
  • Oompa_Loompa
    Options
    :tongue: tell her no! I hope she has friends and family that are supporting her through this. MAY I JUST ADD that when I was in highschool and went to my prom THERE was a gay couple...a few actually. And no one cared at all...it's just not fair.

And I checked my spelling this time:tongue:
  • Oompa_Loompa
    Options
    :tongue: tell her no! I hope she has friends and family that are supporting her through this. MAY I JUST ADD that when I was in highschool and went to my prom THERE was a gay couple...a few actually. And no one cared at all...it's just not fair.

And I checked my spelling this time:tongue:

UGH damn it for some reason the whole thing didnt post. they SHOULDNT tell her no.
  • JStarnes
    JStarnes Posts: 5,576 Member
    Options
    There were more girl/girl 'couples' at my prom than guy/girl 'couples' I went to my prom with my girlfriends - not as lesbian couples, but as 2 girls who didn't have boys dates :laugh: I guess the school freaked when they put a title on their relationship...bet they could have gone if they didn't petition to go ''as'' a ''couple''
  • amicklin
    amicklin Posts: 452
    Options
    That is SUCH a pet peeve of mine!!! That is absolutely ridiculous that they would take that away from those girls! That principle should be fired for doing such a disservice to those girls and who they are.