How to break sugar addiction?

Options
I started my "diet" early this year like so many, resolving to loose weight. I had been doing really great up until late this week. But now everything with sugar is calling my name!

From the beginning, I wanted to make this a positive experience so I would stick with it. I cut way back on soda (I'm drinking 1 mini-can - 90cals per day). I've been staying within my calories each day. I bought some special K pastry crisps to help curb the sugar cravings, giving myself the "treat" as long as I had exercised that day. I've been exercising 6 days a week, mostly circuit training. But, some treadmill sprints and weights too.

Anyway, the sugar cravings are actually getting worse instead of better. What have you done to help curb those cravings?

Replies

• tiffanyheth
    tiffanyheth Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    If it's a MUST HAVE..I budget the calories. I crave Peanut Butter and Chocolate, so I came up with a decent cookie recipe. If that means less supper or no wine so I can have my two cookies, then so be it. I've also heard that it is better to have your sugar later in the day, your body will reset itself over night. But if you eat the sweets early (say cereal or breakfast or snack) then it perpetuates the craving.
  • laurelobrien
    laurelobrien Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Switch from soda to diet soda, no sugar! Really it's a compounding problem, the more sugar you eat the more your body craves it (and increases your appetite in general, see relationships between insulin and leptin/ghrelin, etc). You'll get sugar cravings pretty bad but soon they will subside, I promise. While it's true that the more sugar you eat, the more you crave it, it works in reverse too.
  • peilover010202
    peilover010202 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I don't do artificial sweeteners. So, maybe it's just time to skip the soda (and deal with the caffeine withdrawal too).
  • TexasTexasTexas
    Options
    OMG I know! I started Dec 27. I've had good habits but I ate 2 sugar cookies about 4 days ago after dinner. I made them myself so I knew they were delicious (and worth it). But the next day...I was like a caged animal looking for sugar!!! The craving was over-powering and very real. I poured honey into tea that night. So for me, I can't do the sugar every day thing (except fruit or honey) because it's a trigger for failure.
  • AmmeJayne2
    Options
    Best thing to do its not have any in the house! only have healthy snacks in. if you like sugar in your tea have sweetex, also comes in a little tub so if you out or working you can have it in your bag. Plus every once in a while its good to have a little treat x
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    Sad to say cold turkey is the only thing that has worked for me. I just don't eat sugar. Diet or otherwise. The only sugar I get is in my chewable vitamins and whatever is in things like cayenne peppers.

It's a huge relief for me, much easier than trying to portion it out in small enough sizes to keep me losing weight.
  • MightyDomo
    MightyDomo Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    Just cut out the sugar since your down to a mini-can it's not the biggest step to remove that last item. If you really want something sweet and sugary then reach for fruit, it's filled with natural unprocessed sugar that is good for you and good to your sweet cravings.
  • scyian
    scyian Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Cut the soda out and don't do diet soda either. There are no sugars in it, but it'll make you crave them more. Try and go for more natural sugars from fruit, honey etc. If you do need a sugar hit then what I do is make my treats rather than buy them. Then you know what's going in and can limit yourself or find healthy alternatives. I have been trying to curb my sugar this year and I had a bakewell cake today and it tasted so sugar laden it made my teeth ache!
  • omidiano
    Options
    do 1 time per 10 days a cheat meal to stop cravings...
  • KareninCanada
    KareninCanada Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    Cut the soda out and don't do diet soda either. There are no sugars in it, but it'll make you crave them more. Try and go for more natural sugars from fruit, honey etc. If you do need a sugar hit then what I do is make my treats rather than buy them. Then you know what's going in and can limit yourself or find healthy alternatives. I have been trying to curb my sugar this year and I had a bakewell cake today and it tasted so sugar laden it made my teeth ache!

^^ agreed
  • Xhell_on_heelsX
    Options
    I agree with the saying "if it's out of sight it's out of mind"...most of the time. We don't have any chocolate in this house..but god damnit I want a snickers bar right now lol. It is true though..if you start keeping healthy snacks in the house and reducing your sugar every couple days I bet you will notice a difference. I had to do this with my coffee creamer and putting sugar ontop of it. I am definitely a sugar addict. It just takes time to get used to.
  • sun_fish
    sun_fish Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    For me, the only way to break it is to go cold turkey. After about 1-2 weeks the cravings stop. Then, I allow myself to have one small piece of dark chocolate a day, and that works for about a month or two, when I start to eat more sugary stuff. I then I repeat the whole process.
  • laurelobrien
    laurelobrien Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I don't do artificial sweeteners. So, maybe it's just time to skip the soda (and deal with the caffeine withdrawal too).

Fair enough, I find the aspartame involved in a can of diet soda is worth the trade off but some people don't like it or their bodies don't handle it well. In that case, kick it entirely - for the amount of sugar in a can of soda, you could eat a tasty baked good WITHOUT high fructose corn syrup! Or better yet, no sugar at all. :-)
    Cut the soda out and don't do diet soda either. There are no sugars in it, but it'll make you crave them more.

Can I get a source on that? Anecdotally I'd have to disagree, and the reading I've done indicates this is speculation, the sort of fact that is "true" because it "makes sense", and works only psychologically per person.
  • fionadasein
    fionadasein Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Dairy : milk and especially yoghurt! Can find sweet and creamy but low cal yoghurts, and can make them even more decadent with cacao nibs or stir in fruit. Fruit has lots of sugar, and frozen mango, pineapple, grapes, and berries make amazing snacks. Come off the sugar gradually and you'll notice you crave it less often and can go for less of it each time.

If you're really jonesing, a little chocolate or meringue nests go a long way.. Also mash banana and mix with flavoured quick oats and cinnamon (bake at 325 F 20 mins) to make healthier cookies.

Edit: also check out Stevia. Natural plant sweetener that's super potent but low cal.
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    I started my "diet" early this year like so many, resolving to loose weight. I had been doing really great up until late this week. But now everything with sugar is calling my name!

From the beginning, I wanted to make this a positive experience so I would stick with it. I cut way back on soda (I'm drinking 1 mini-can - 90cals per day). I've been staying within my calories each day. I bought some special K pastry crisps to help curb the sugar cravings, giving myself the "treat" as long as I had exercised that day. I've been exercising 6 days a week, mostly circuit training. But, some treadmill sprints and weights too.

Anyway, the sugar cravings are actually getting worse instead of better. What have you done to help curb those cravings?

Your diary is locked so it's tough to know where the issue is. One possibility is you are overexercising, six days a week intensively is too much for many and can put you into a state of stress which messes with blood sugar control, your body needs rest days. Remember even athletes cycle hard and easy days, hard and easy weeks. Are you eating enough overall calories, netting above your basal metabolic rate, and a balance of ALL the nutrients from ALL the food groups?

Sugary/ processed junky stuff should comprise no more than 10% of daily calories, that is one small treat for most of us females. You may find you are over with the drink and the pastry crisps, more so if you are having stuff with hidden sugars like breakfast cereal. Caffeine also messes with blood sugar control. Realise that some starches behave like sugar in the body - watch white potatoes, any processed wheat, white rice and corn/ maize, instead have more beans, lentils and barley.

ETA are you breast feeding and cutting calories and exercising that intensively?
  • viktorijandz
    viktorijandz Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I think it has been already said - not-sweet sugar always helps. Choose dairy products: milk, yoghurt, cottage cheese... You can add extra protein powder to fulfill you. And of course, avoid fake sugars - sweeteners. They would definitely increase your cravings even more. Personally, I haven;t had such a problem for like four years now until last Christmas. I couldn't stop eating sugary food since then but glass of milk with a scoop of protein powder always helps me when I feel craving coming on. :}
  • peilover010202
    peilover010202 Posts: 32 Member
    Options

Your diary is locked so it's tough to know where the issue is. One possibility is you are overexercising, six days a week intensively is too much for many and can put you into a state of stress which messes with blood sugar control, your body needs rest days. Remember even athletes cycle hard and easy days, hard and easy weeks. Are you eating enough overall calories, netting above your basal metabolic rate, and a balance of ALL the nutrients from ALL the food groups?

Sugary/ processed junky stuff should comprise no more than 10% of daily calories, that is one small treat for most of us females. You may find you are over with the drink and the pastry crisps, more so if you are having stuff with hidden sugars like breakfast cereal. Caffeine also messes with blood sugar control. Realise that some starches behave like sugar in the body - watch white potatoes, any processed wheat, white rice and corn/ maize, instead have more beans, lentils and barley.

ETA are you breast feeding and cutting calories and exercising that intensively?

In a word: yes. I've talked with my dr about it. I wouldn't call my exercise too intense though. I exercised regularly throughout my pregnancy (lots of cardio) as well. Again, all approved by my dr. My base calorie intake is 1440 cals per day, more if I exercise. I don't always eat back all my calories, but I do eat back some of them.

I can unlock my diary. But I'm a little scared of getting ripped apart! I mean that in the nicest way. :happy:

My hubby is vegetarian, so I do get a pretty wide range of veggies each day. But, after looking at my breakfast, I do notice that it's awfully high in sugar. Maybe that is part of my problem. I thought it would be a good option because greek yogurt is so high in protein, and it does keep me full. But, I get vanilla or other flavors. Maybe I should try some eggs/eggwhites instead.
  • kenmyst
    Options
    I've never been a soda drinker but have liked juices like orange and grape juice, but now only water, and its really haven't been that hard to give up. Try to eat a jolly rancher when you get your sugar cravings, it has helped me a lot.
  • vanguardfitness
    vanguardfitness Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    drop the sugar, add in fruit? Not juice but the whole fruit.
  • kingofcrunk
    kingofcrunk Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    Eat some fruit! Sugar is not a bad thing.