3500 mg Potassium in 1200 calories? Diet suggestions?

Options
I keep being frustrated by the 3500 mg daily value of potassium. It seems impossible, in my mind, to have a varied, tasty, and nutritionally complete diet of only 1200 calories and achieve 3500 mg of potassium.

In a related post, someone pointed out that 100 g of white beans have a whopping 1200 mg of potassium and "only" 300 calories, not counting anything you cook them with to add a modicum of flavor. For me, 300 calories is a meal. That is a quarter of my daily calories! And, it's not quite half of the amount of potassium recommended.

Has anyone formed a daily meal-plan that succeeds at 3500 mg of potassium with only 1200 calories? Any nutritionists out there with practical suggestions? (Listing foods that are high in potassium is not helpful without looking a full daily nutrition requirements and calorie intake.)

Thanks for the input! (This has been bugging me for a long time.)

PS - Yes, 1200 calories is about right for me. If I succeed in losing weight, my BMR could drop to 1050 or less. I'm short.

Replies

• acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,870 Member
    Options
    Do you drink coffee? Coffee is high in potassium for almost zero cals. Another is salt substitute which is potassium chloride. You should look outside of MFP for potassium in foods, lots of entries show zero potassium even though a food is loaded. The meat entries are probably the most glaring.
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    Do you drink coffee? Coffee is high in potassium for almost zero cals. Another is salt substitute which is potassium chloride. You should look outside of MFP for potassium in foods, lots of entries show zero potassium even though a food is loaded. The meat entries are probably the most glaring.

Oh no! So glad I read this, I have been taking a supplement with potassium in it. On top of the pot of coffee I drink each day I'm clearly getting too much. Thanks for this!
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    It is indeed difficult to have a nutritionally complete diet at 1200 calories, it tends to need to be regimented: humans evolved to eat more and move more than sedentary dieting westerners do. Good sources of potassium include various non starchy vegetables and low sugar fruits which you should be eating nine servings of, and dairy like yoghurt and milk which you should be having three servings of anyway. For tasty add herbs, spices, garlic, chilli, balsamic vinegar, lime juice, reduced sodium soy sauce and so on.

Since your diary is locked I don't really see what else you want those who hold qualifications in nutrition to do except signpost you to lists?
    http://nutritiondata.self.com/foods-000122000000000000000.html
    http://nutritiondata.self.com/foods-000122000000000000000-w.html
    http://www.permanente.net/homepage/kaiser/pdf/55929.pdf

BTW it worries me you are dismissing beans as being too high calorie, you need something for minerals and fibre and I am guessing you are not eating much in the way or nuts or seeds at that calorie level.
  • deaterrae
    deaterrae Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Double-check actual values, however. 6 ounces of coffee have a mere 124 mg. Daily requirement is 3500 mg. Most daily supplements only provide 300-500 mg. Unless you're eating a lot of foods that are truly high in potassium, it is doubtful that you are over-doing it.

I also just saw an article that indicated that diuretics (such as coffee) can decrease potassium levels.
  • sardesc
    sardesc Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I'm really short, too (5' 1). I just exercise a lot so I can eat back those calories because I like eating. I eat a lot of spinach and a banana everyday for potassium.
  • acogg
    Options

Oh no! So glad I read this, I have been taking a supplement with potassium in it. On top of the pot of coffee I drink each day I'm clearly getting too much. Thanks for this!

The potassium supplements that I have found are only 99 mgs., while a single banana is something like 400 mgs. I decided potassium supplements are a waste of time.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    low sodium v8 has 70 calories and 1180 mg of potassium in a 11.5 oz can and only (relative) 200 mg sodium

coconut milk is low calorie and high potassium...something around 45 calories and 600 mg potassium in 8oz or thereabouts.

Coffee is fairly high in potassium and very few calories

Greens like spinach and kale...but chard rules all with 800 mg of potassium per 3 oz serving, but is also naturally high in sodium.

Quite a few other fruits and veg as well.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options

You're probably alright. 3,500 is the DV, but if you do a bit more research you will find that most recommend 4,700 mg for adults without kidney issues. I eat a lot of high potassium foods and I still struggle to get there...I'm usually around 4,200-4,300 mg per day.
  • acogg
    Options
    Double-check actual values, however. 6 ounces of coffee have a mere 124 mg. Daily requirement is 3500 mg. Most daily supplements only provide 300-500 mg. Unless you're eating a lot of foods that are truly high in potassium, it is doubtful that you are over-doing it.

I also just saw an article that indicated that diuretics (such as coffee) can decrease potassium levels.

This is why, if you ask a question like this, that you open your diary so we can see what you are logging. I am not suggesting you start to drink coffee, my suggestion was that if you already do, make certain you log it with the correct potassium and it will help you reach your goal.
  • j75j75
    j75j75 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Yams have a lot of potassium, a little over 900 mg for a small yam. Oranges, beans, lentils, and tomatoes are good sources too
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options

I doubled down on the Viactiv with Potassium and took two though, that is %100. Ouch. Bad me. And I eat meat which has a bit in it, and cheese.

Really gotta watch that, it's one of the vitamins that can kill you.
  • goldfinger88
    goldfinger88 Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    Since I don't count calories I can't really address that part of your question. Personally, I don't feel 1200 calories is enough for a bird. But you can get a lot of potassium in coconut water and also in raisins. Both are very high in that nutrient. Coconut water has very few calories. Also leafy greens and salmon. None of those are high in calories and all are healthy foods.
  • kerrylee54
    Options
    I look to vegetables for a low calorie source - spinach, mushrooms, sweet potato, green beans and asparagus all add a decent amount of potassium for very few calories.
  • 714rah714
    714rah714 Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    In over a year of tracking what I eat, I have never had more than 3500mg of potassium, ever. I've come close, but never over, I'm starting to think that 3500mg is to much
  • Enigmatica
    Enigmatica Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    Many foods show 0 potassium in nutrition data although they have plenty of potassium. It's not required info on the label so lots of companies don't add it. I look up foods on nutritiondata.com if in doubt. And I drink coconut water for a quick low cal source of potassium.
  • miracle4me
    miracle4me Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    I eat avocado, banana for potassium or spinach. I keep my calorie goal between 1200 -1500
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options

The potassium supplements that I have found are only 99 mgs., while a single banana is something like 400 mgs. I decided potassium supplements are a waste of time.

The reason why is because it's actually possible to overdose on potassium unlike sodium which can lead to very serious problems. Over-the-counter potassium supplements cannot be very high as a result.

OP: You are going to be quite challenged to get sufficient potassium in your diet at 1200 calories. Most potassium-rich foods are things like potatoes, beans, and starchy vegetables that are higher calorie also. One medium to large baking potato contains almost 1,500 mg of potassium alone, but it's also 200+ calories.

Also, as others have mentioned, MFP does not record potassium content of non-raw foods (packaged foods). Entries without an asterisk beside them in the database do, however, contain potassium information.
  • Roeri011
    Roeri011 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I've had similar potassium concerns. I drink about 4 liters of water (not including my morning coffee & post workout protein shake) most days and was noticing that I was getting a lot of leg craps.
    I dug out my recipe for oral rehydration solution (i.e. homemade Pedialyte)

1 quart water
    3/4 tsp salt substitute (potassium chloride)
    1/2 tsp baking soda
    2 TBS white corn syrup
    1 pkg unsweetened Kool-Aid

I don't add the corn syrup or Kool-Aid because of the sugar and taste isn't an issue for me. This can add 1950mg of potassium without any calories. Granted it tastes like sweat but I only drink a quart a few days a week.
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    I've had similar potassium concerns. I drink about 4 liters of water (not including my morning coffee & post workout protein shake) most days and was noticing that I was getting a lot of leg craps.
    I dug out my recipe for oral rehydration solution (i.e. homemade Pedialyte)

1 quart water
    3/4 tsp salt substitute (potassium chloride)
    1/2 tsp baking soda
    2 TBS white corn syrup
    1 pkg unsweetened Kool-Aid

I don't add the corn syrup or Kool-Aid because of the sugar and taste isn't an issue for me. This can add 1950mg of potassium without any calories. Granted it tastes like sweat but I only drink a quart a few days a week.

Review your magnesium intake not just sodium and potassium.
  • j4nash
    j4nash Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    Be careful with potassium supplements, there is a reason they're only 90mg.