3500 mg Potassium in 1200 calories? Diet suggestions?

Options

Replies

• adydomcast
    adydomcast Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Eggplant is high in potassium (I eat it with skin). A cup of mashed eggplant has 1261 mg of Potassium, 13 g sugars and 6 g protein. While a cup of mashed banana has 805.5 mg Potassium, 27.5 g sugars and 2.5 g protein.

You may use Coconut Water, without pulp, no sugar added. 250 ml of coconut water has 350 mg of Potassium, 12 g sugars, 0 g protein. I use it to avoid cramps in my zumba class and it has worked OK.

Walmart sells Grace (the less expensive), Vita Coco, and O.N.E . Publix sells Vita Coco and O.N.E. They are in the Water Aisle, in Tetra Paks. The coconut water in cans taste ugly from my point of view and several have sugar added or pulp (that implies more calories). These are the images of the tetra pak ones that tastes similar to the real coconut water:

http://http://vitacoco.com/
    http://www.onedrinks.com/ --> It has 1g less of sugar than vita coco, and you notice the difference in the flavor
  • acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,870 Member
    Options
    Once I started logging my coffee and mentally adding in the potassium of meat, I was reaching the 3500 pretty easily. It wasn't that my diet was low in potassium, I wasn't logging correctly.
  • hastinbe
    hastinbe Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    The DRI for potassium for females between 19-30 yrs old is 4700 mg (not 3500). But don't despair, you're likely getting more potassium than you think. __Potassium is NOT required to be listed on nutritional labels__!

The chicken breast and salmon I just ate at dinner shows 0 potassium on MFP because it is not listed on the label. But last year I contacted my supermarket who contacted the manufacturer and got me the answer. Combined they actually contain 725 mg. The broccoli on MFP shows 0 potassium too, but 1 cup actually contains over 500mg.

If you're eating plenty of fruits, veges, dairy, meats, and/or nuts chances are you're getting well over the potassium you need!
  • acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,870 Member
    Options
    The DRI for potassium for females between 19-30 yrs old is 4700 mg (not 3500). But don't despair, you're likely getting more potassium than you think. __Potassium is NOT required to be listed on nutritional labels__!

The chicken breast and salmon I just ate at dinner shows 0 potassium on MFP because it is not listed on the label. But last year I contacted my supermarket who contacted the manufacturer and got me the answer. Combined they actually contain 725 mg. The broccoli on MFP shows 0 potassium too, but 1 cup actually contains over 500mg.

If you're eating plenty of fruits, veges, dairy, meats, and/or nuts chances are you're getting well over the potassium you need!

Exactly! I had to read through several entries to find the potassium content in a t-bone steak. Turns out a 9 oz. t-bone is about 700 calories and 1700 mgs. of potassium. My planned menu for tomorrow will put me over on potassium big time! There are lazy people who enter minimal nutrient contents on MFP and other people log different nutrients according to what is important to them. If a nutrient is important, search an independent site. The entries on MFP are dependent on the honesty and diligence of the person entering it.
  • uwdawg07
    uwdawg07 Posts: 372
    Options
    Have you ever had your potassium levels checked? It is hard to become deficient in potassium, we get quite a lot through our diets.

Not all foods that contain potassium label it, so you're getting some from those foods as well.

Bananas, dark leafy greens, melon, nectarine, apple, blueberries, potatoes, legumes, beans, oranges, pears, tomatoes, milk, yogurt....

Stay away from supplements, as having too much potassium can be very dangerous to your health.
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    Exactly! I had to read through several entries to find the potassium content in a t-bone steak. Turns out a 9 oz. t-bone is about 700 calories and 1700 mgs. of potassium. My planned menu for tomorrow will put me over on potassium big time! There are lazy people who enter minimal nutrient contents on MFP and other people log different nutrients according to what is important to them. If a nutrient is important, search an independent site. The entries on MFP are dependent on the honesty and diligence of the person entering it.

I don't add micronutrients because MFP asks for several as a percent daily value, meaningless given it's for a 2000 calorie diet and (presumably) the arbitrary recommendations of one country when MFP members are 'multicultural'. Sodium is listed in mg on our UK nutrition box but potassium is not listed at all.
  • ShesReady2Live
    Options
    Definitely do your own research via google but I recently discovered a snack of celery and two tablespoons of good peanut butter is a great way to get 300 - 400 mgs of potassium. Obviously it depends on the pb brand. A 12" stalk of celery has around 150 mgs of potassium. I slap love russet potatoes cut in wedges and with some onion and garlic powder baked in the oven. 620 mgs of potassium in one potato. Hope that helps but yeah, keep doing research and you'll get there!
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    1kg chicken
    500g pumpkin
  • kristisibson
    kristisibson Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Which coffee is high in potassium?
  • edandeb
    edandeb Posts: 2
    Options
    I'm on 1200 as well, and while it's hard I've discovered that if I eat a zucchini or yellow squash omelet (saute squash in 1 tsp olive oil till brown with minced garlic, yummy, then add egg or egg whites) and also a milk and a yogurt and an orange and 1/2 cup of beans during my day with other fruits, veggies, lean protein, I can get my 3500 in while keeping my calories at 1200 plus activity. Also I wrote a list of high potassium items; dairy 400, potato 1000, zucchini 800, tomato 300, orange 300, salmon 500, this helps in my meal planning putting it into things I enjoy. works for me, hope it helps
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,578 Member
    Options
    COFFEE!!!!!!!! Om g
    I never knew it had potassium! Another reason to love it so!!!
  • xtinarson
    xtinarson Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have found that homemade veggie soup has a ton of potassium as well as green leafy salads. I eat a huge salad everyday. Nuts have a lot of potassium, too. In a pinch you can drink low sodium V-8 but I really wonder about the true amount of vitamins and minerals in it because it is pasteurized and sits on a shelf in light.
  • lomaxbridges16
    lomaxbridges16 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Bok Choy steamed has over 600 mg in one cup and only 20-30 calories. It has to be cooked though; it doesn't have as much in raw form. Also Asian red beans (adzuki beans) has about 1200 mg in one cup boiled, but about 300 calories. They're usually available at Asian grocery stores in both can and raw form. These are life savers for low calorie diets. :-)
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    Have you had a blood test? Are you actually deficient in potassium?
  • aspen326
    aspen326 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hey! I know exactly how you feel. I consume 1300-1500 calories a day and find that I have to be very intentional to meet my potassium requirements. Many people have mentioned that a lot of foods in MFP don't have the potassium content listed. I've noticed this particularly for beans. Here's what getting 3500 mg of potassium in about 1300 calories looks like for me:

BREAKFAST:

1/4 cup beans (I like black beans)
    1 egg
    1/2 cup cooked spinach (measure after cooking)
    1 tsp hot sauce

LUNCH: for lunch I had a veggie salad at Chipotle. (Note I ask for half servings of salsa to cut back on sodium and I don't have sour cream or cheese. I also pass on the vinaigrette.)

3/4 cup romaine
    4 oz black beans
    2.5 oz fajita veggies
    2 oz mild salsa
    1 oz medium salsa
    2 oz corn salsa
    4 oz guacamole

DINNER:

1/3 cup sweet potato
    4 oz chicken breast
    20 g steamed broccoli

SNACK:

17 oz coconut water
    2 medium nectarines
    2 squares 72% Trader Joe's dark chocolate

1263 calories
    45% carbs
    33% fat
    22% protein

35 grams fiber
    3767 mg potassium

Since I don't consume dairy, I usually take a calcium supplement. Other than that, you should reach or come very close to your vitamin and mineral requirements. Hope this helps!!
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    aspen326 wrote: »
    Hey! I know exactly how you feel. I consume 1300-1500 calories a day and find that I have to be very intentional to meet my potassium requirements. Many people have mentioned that a lot of foods in MFP don't have the potassium content listed. I've noticed this particularly for beans. Here's what getting 3500 mg of potassium in about 1300 calories looks like for me:

BREAKFAST:

1 egg
    1 tsp hot sauce

LUNCH: for lunch I had a veggie salad at Chipotle. (Note I ask for half servings of salsa to cut back on sodium and I don't have sour cream or cheese. I also pass on the vinaigrette.)

3/4 cup romaine
    4 oz black beans
    2.5 oz fajita veggies
    2 oz mild salsa
    1 oz medium salsa
    2 oz corn salsa
    4 oz guacamole

DINNER:

1/3 cup sweet potato
    4 oz chicken breast
    20 g steamed broccoli

SNACK:

17 oz coconut water
    2 medium nectarines

1263 calories
    45% carbs
    33% fat
    22% protein

35 grams fiber
    3767 mg potassium

Since I don't consume dairy, I usually take a calcium supplement. Other than that, you should reach or come very close to your vitamin and mineral requirements. Hope this helps!!

This thread is four years old and the OP has not visited in years
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    I track potassium and what I've found is some things have it but don't list it... I had to make some custom entries for things like yogurt with the nutrition data from the label x-ref the USDA potassium amounts. My potassium rich go to's are the following:

Cantaloupe
    Sweet Potato
    Tomato (and tomato paste or juice)
    Spinach

Those are the big ones ... I get a decent amount from

Plain non-fat yogurt
    Chicken
    Kiwi
    Strawberry

If you're eating a variety of fresh whole foods you're probably getting more than you think.

Another thing I did was searched my food with "USDA potassium" and I've found a few that way.

For what it's worth I find it tricky to get 3500mg on 1600 calories unless I'm eating clean af and that's no fun. Good luck on 1200... if I were you I'd try and earn more calories through exercise... not sure if that's an option or if you're really short and petite; I didn't read all the replies! Sorry if I missed it
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    aspen326 wrote: »

BREAKFAST:

1 egg
    1 tsp hot sauce

3/4 cup romaine
    4 oz black beans
    2.5 oz fajita veggies
    2 oz mild salsa
    1 oz medium salsa
    2 oz corn salsa
    4 oz guacamole

DINNER:

1/3 cup sweet potato
    4 oz chicken breast
    20 g steamed broccoli

SNACK:

17 oz coconut water
    2 medium nectarines

1263 calories
    45% carbs
    33% fat
    22% protein

35 grams fiber
    3767 mg potassium

This thread is four years old and the OP has not visited in years

god damn it... I spent like 5 minutes typing that out ffs lol
  • AngryViking1970
    AngryViking1970 Posts: 2,847 Member
    Options
    The low sodium V-8 is my go-to source when I start getting leg cramps. The mini cans are only 30 calories with 700 mgs of potassium. Plus, V-8 is yummy.
  • bribucks
    bribucks Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    Glad I found this thread! I am on 1300 cals and also struggling to reach potassium levels. I didn't realize that it wasn't required on nutrition labels ... there are probably a lot of things I recorded in MFP that didn't list the potassium. I'm going to keep looking into it ...