Want to run my first 5 K

Options
As the title says, I want to run my first 5K. Run may be used loosely, but at least jog it:-) I am down 40 lbs and have one I would like to run the first weekend in May in our area. How is the best way to train for something like this?

Replies

• meefo42
    meefo42 Posts: 21
    Options
    I'm sure other people will tell you the same, but look into the Couch to 5K program. If you have a smart phone, there are a ton of apps for it. It's what I used to train and I loved it! Good luck with your running! :)
  • aswearingen22
    aswearingen22 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    1. Couch to 5k program. Repeat a week if you struggled.
    2. Before you start c25k, go to a local running store (not a big box sporting goods store but a specialty running store) and get fitted for shoes. If you don't, you risk injury.
    3. Running is addicting, enjoy!
  • cyberiarob
    cyberiarob Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I'm sure other people will tell you the same, but look into the Couch to 5K program. If you have a smart phone, there are a ton of apps for it. It's what I used to train and I loved it! Good luck with your running! :)

The C25K app is very useful. I've been using in order to prepare for my first 5K, and I'm pretty confident that I'll be ready.
  • michelle0989
    michelle0989 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Yes, I recommend the Couch 2 5K program as well! Get the app and you can listen to any music you want while it's on. It is what started me off running, I loved it.
  • carolemack
    carolemack Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    Yes, I recommend the Couch 2 5K program as well! Get the app and you can listen to any music you want while it's on. It is what started me off running, I loved it.

DITTO for me! I love this program...it's a free App on itunes.
  • mynewbug
    mynewbug Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I trained through a local running group. They had a beginner's training course. It was a great experience and I met a lot of supportive people. Best of luck!!
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    You are where I was almost a year ago - wanting to start running, with a goal for a 5k race in May. I used the c25k program and it worked great! I'm still running and loving it! I ran 4 5k races last year and had a blast.

Get good shoes, or at least make sure the ones you have are fairly new with good support. Download a c25k app if you've got a smart phone or an iPod - I used c25kFREE by ZenLabs - totally free and worked great. Stick to the program, three days a week, and going as slow as necessary to complete the day's time. Don't worry about distance, that will come later, just complete the time. Have fun and be amazed with your bad self as you get better and better as the weeks go by, until you're running for 30 minutes without stopping! And then keep at it as you get closer to race day, and have an absolute blast running your first 5k race. :bigsmile:
  • tiffanyheth
    tiffanyheth Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    DITTO on all above posts! Also get good light weight running shoes--name brands do make a difference! Go girl!
  • katykatyg
    katykatyg Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Can you download the program to your ipod? I don't have an Iphone.
  • vicmonster
    vicmonster Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    As the title says, I want to run my first 5K. Run may be used loosely, but at least jog it:-) I am down 40 lbs and have one I would like to run the first weekend in May in our area. How is the best way to train for something like this?

Congratulations on your weight loss and good luck with the running. Sounds like c25k is what most recommend and it is a really great plan.
  • Swede04
    Swede04 Posts: 11
    Options
    I ran as long as I could, then ran longer the next time and longer the next time. It took me 6 weeks to be ready for my first 5k. Good luck......running makes me feel so good.
  • cyberiarob
    cyberiarob Posts: 229 Member
    Options

iPod touch - yep

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/c25k-5k-trainer-free/id485971733?mt=8
  • avababy05
    avababy05 Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    2. Before you start c25k, go to a local running store (not a big box sporting goods store but a specialty running store) and get fitted for shoes. If you don't, you risk injury.
    !
    The correct gear is essential! I did my first 5k in September and loved it.such a sense of accomplishment for a girl who hated gym
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options

If it's the kind that takes apps, yes. if not, there are podcasts around for free that give you the intervals. I used those, because I just have a nano.
  • babeinthemoon
    babeinthemoon Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    1. Couch to 5k program. Repeat a week if you struggled.
    3. Running is addicting, enjoy!

This!^^^^^

I started c25k last October after losing around 30 lbs. It took me 3 weeks to get past day 1... but after that I didn't have to repeat a day at all! I finished in December. At the end of the program I could jog for 30 minutes straight, and jog/walk a 5k in 50 minutes. Now I can jog the whole thing in 43. My goal is to increase my speed and get down to a 35min 5k by march 17th for my first race.
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    Like everyone else says, I'd reccomend c25k. If you're not used to jogging, jog as slowly as you can until you finish the entire program. You can add speed later! Get fitted for running shoes and make sure that you DONT wear cotton socks. Walmart has a good sock that isn't expensive. I forget the name but its in with the 'diabetic' socks and is in a pink/blue package, well the cardboard thing is anyway. I think they are $5-6.00 for 2 pair. Worth it 100%!! I think I own 20 pairs now! If your skin chafes anywhere, buy some Glide. It's in a stick-like container, like deodorant and you just rub it on your skin. I bought mine at ****s. It feels gummy at first but once you start sweating, you don't even notice it.
    Good luck, you can do this!
  • Luthien007
    Luthien007 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I was fitted for running shoes before starting c25k. Best thing. The sales guy recommended some socks to prevent blisters etc....so I picked those up as well. I keep those runners and socks only for running. Never had a problem. I added hat and sunnies as time went by. Now I'm thinking about an armband for my phone but I don't think I'd like the feel of it.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    Couch to 5K is awesome and what I did when I first started running, but if you want something different, Zombies, Run 5k training plan is fantastic. It starts off a little more gently than C25K, too, with only 15 seconds of running intervals, followed by a "free form run" where you set your own pace. Feel like running? Run. Feel like walking? Walk.

https://www.zombiesrungame.com/
  • clarkeje1
    clarkeje1 Posts: 1,633 Member
    Options
    c25k is great. its helped me run farther than i ever have before. i'm in week 8 now :)
  • lyndabyh
    lyndabyh Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I di dth eC25K as well. LOved lit . I used a podcast version on my nano but it had music to listen to as well. Good luck.