anybody feeling thin?

Options
So I have been contemplating how I feel vs. where I am in my weight loss. I have lost almost 50lbs dropped four sizes and feel exactly the same granted I have another 50 to lose.... I asked a coworker who had the gastro bypass surgery and lost 150lbs and looks amazing at what point did she feel different and she said "never". WHAT?

Does this mean no matter how much I lose its all in my head and since I'm accustomed to feeling like a "big girl" I will always feel like a" big girl"?

There is bound to be someone out there who has lost significant weight and gained a new perspective on life because of it! Are we so bound to how we see ourselves that we never feel differently regardless of what we change?

Replies

• laurelobrien
    laurelobrien Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I didn't feel thin even when I was 90lbs but that's an eating disorder problem. I'm sure if you've felt fat your entire life it would take a really powerful force of will and self love to finally accept that you are not fat anymore. It becomes part of your identity and it's hard to get rid of it
  • ylor89
    ylor89 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I've only lost about 7 pounds, and I feel GREAT! I really do mean it. :smile:

I'm trying to lose about 25 pounds, and every pound counts. I feel like I stand a little taller and with more confidence too! People tell me I look different, in a good way! And they compliment me on what I bring to eat because I'm always so "healthy." I've only been doing this for a few weeks. Losing weight is my New Year's resolution. If I'm feeling like this and it's only the middle of January, I can't wait to see how GREAT I feel a couple months down the road!

I don't think you'll always feel like the big girl...I would hope not at least. My sisters are very petite and I've always been bigger than them. A size 0 is too big for one of my sisters! So I guess I'll always be the "bigger sister" but I think that's changing to the "healthy" one. :wink:

Good luck with your goals!
  • Tanja_CHH
    Tanja_CHH Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I dont feel thin, however I dont feel fat enough to priotize losing weight over my health, Ive gotten to the point I would rather eat healthy, feel better and get stronger through working out than loose weight at drastic rate, weight lose would just be a bonus :)
  • jesz124
    jesz124 Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    Nope, I like my top half but still look in the mirror and see a huge *kitten* and fat thighs. Not cool.
  • CrystalDreams
    CrystalDreams Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Nope, I like my top half but still look in the mirror and see a huge *kitten* and fat thighs. Not cool.

I have the opposite issue... my legs and hips look awesome but my apple round top makes me sad.
  • elizak87
    elizak87 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I still instantly try on clothes too big for me whilst shopping. I can't believe what size I am.
  • zhvah18
    zhvah18 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    It's funny for me, when i was 173 lbs (I didn't realize i was that heavy at the time *delusional*) I didn't feel fat. It took seeing a picture of myself at a family reunion that made me go OMG. Now that I've lost 55 pounds, NOW I have the "wow I feel so fat" days. But it's not everyday, most days I can look in the mirror and realize how far I've come and how good I look now, and how I can now wear size 4's where back in the day (pre 173 lbs) I thought i was doing good in size 8's.
  • Jongfaith
    Jongfaith Posts: 195
    Options
    Yeah my friend said its because I am apple sahped and can't see below my tatas in the mirror hehe.. Hmmm I may need to look into bettering my outlook as well as my health. Thanks everyone for sharing!
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    Oh heck yea, 45 pounds gone i feel thin! Now believing i look thin, not so much... I do believe i look healthy
  • CaffeinatedConfectionist
    Options

I'm in the same boat. Drat those saddlebags and that jiggly butt. Not to mention that it makes it hard to shop for dresses when my lower half is significantly larger than my upper half. Does make it awfully hard to feel "thin."

Whatever, though! Squats and lunges are my friends, and I don't care how *big* my butt and thighs are as long as it's all muscle ^^
  • acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,870 Member
    Options
    I suffer from the same self-image problem. When I was fat, I didn't feel very fat. It took some pictures with my fat sisters to convince me. Now that I am thin, I still see the same fat person as in the pictures. This virtual model site has helped me. I input my start weight and my current weight, seeing the difference helps my self-image.

http://www.modelmydiet.com/
  • ElizaRoche
    ElizaRoche Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    It's funny for me, when i was 173 lbs (I didn't realize i was that heavy at the time *delusional*) I didn't feel fat. It took seeing a picture of myself at a family reunion that made me go OMG. Now that I've lost 55 pounds, NOW I have the "wow I feel so fat" days. But it's not everyday, most days I can look in the mirror and realize how far I've come and how good I look now, and how I can now wear size 4's where back in the day (pre 173 lbs) I thought i was doing good in size 8's.

LOL, the same happens to me!, specially when on my period days, I feel gross and bigger than ever!
  • Ke22yB
    Ke22yB Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    I dont feel fat anymore I am still surprised when I see myself in a car window or storm door and do a double take " like who ? oh me right I feel healthy and alive now sometimes after my long runs I feel sore but oh so vital I still have a bit more to finish and maybe I will feel thin tthen BUT I am into this way of life over 4 years now and it took time to change the way I felt
    Hang in and just keep it going
  • trophywife24
    trophywife24 Posts: 1,472 Member
    Options
    Yes, I am

But it's taken me oh... a year and a half to do so. It took my brain FOREVER to catch up with my body.... forever. If you think about it, how long were you at your heaviest weight? Probably a lot longer than you have been at your current weight. Your brain was quite used to your size, what you looked like, the space you took up, etc. It's going to take a while for you to actually see yourself now that you've changed so much. It's sort of head trippy and weird, but it will happen!
  • mygrl4meee
    mygrl4meee Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    I am almost to my goal of 50 lbs. I can still stand to lose more but 50 was what I could wrap my head around when I started. I am feeling thin. I know I am not a size 2 but I know I am shaping up nice and it helps that my husband loves the new me. He said he got a new wife without a divorce. ;)
  • Vercell
    Vercell Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    because my breast is still 34 ddd i will never feel thin.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I feel really good the size I am. It took me awhile to start to feel thin, but I think once I got to buy jeans that were smaller than I'd ever had before that was the moment when it really clicked how much smaller I am now.
  • Jongfaith
    Jongfaith Posts: 195
    Options
    I am currently smaller than I was in middle school and I'm in it for the long haul so I will wait and hope my mind catches up with my body! Thanks again for all the responses! Way to go for all of you and all your hard work!:flowerforyou:
  • TheHorribleBlob
    TheHorribleBlob Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    If you're anything like me, my suggestion is to buy something cute or sexy that you wouldn't normally wear. I'm a pants and t-shirt kind of girl, myself, but a flattering outfit does go a long way as far as ego boosts go. It's easy to lose track of how far you've come when the most difference you notice in the mirror is a smaller t-shirt size. Oh, and if you don't already have a full length mirror, I'd recommend buying one! :)

Hope this helps. Good luck!
  • acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,870 Member
    Options
    I think buying and wearing spring and summer clothes will help. I've lost all this weight and have to hide it under bulky sweaters and coats. Hopefully I can do the big reveal come spring.