Feeling Insecure at the Gym

Options

Replies

• rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    Don't pay attention to those at the gym. You are there for yourself, and that is all that matters.

Honestly, when I see person's like yourself at the gym I am usually silently applauding them, because they are trying to change and become better people
  • DisneyAddictRW
    DisneyAddictRW Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    Stay positive. Anytime you're there and you start to think a negative thought return it with a positive comment to yourself. I have to remind myself at the gym everyone is at a different fitness level. I try to get in my "zone" with my music and forget about others around me. It's a regular struggle for me but I get through it. For me I hate working out in front of the mirrors. I'm a work in progress. Remember you're better than the others sitting at home on the couch! Keep rocking it!
  • mtfr810
    mtfr810 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    First thing... be proud of yourself for going!!!!!! Anyone who might make any hurtful comment is nothing short of a horse's backside and is not someone you should concern yourself over. Just going shows you're committed to doing better for yourself and that makes you an amazing person with a tremendous amont of self-determination. Way to go!

All that being said... if the gym becomes a barrier because of all the negativity then purchase some DVDs and use those to workout with. There are lots out there tt will help to motivate you so you can't watch the pounds fly off.

Good luck and stand proud!
  • Simone_King
    Simone_King Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Holy what kind of gym is that? o_o;

I go to gym where elderly people work out and everything inbetween. So...

However, no reason to feel insacure about yourself. You are there to get healthly.
  • harvo
    harvo Posts: 4,676 Member
    Options
    Probably trying to look at your chest...Do you....don't worry about those people there even if they are looking at you, (chances are most are not unless they were about to use the machine you are on. Good luck!
  • bbgughj
    bbgughj Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Get over your fear ! People are not staring at you ... The people that are looking around are looking for their next work out or just taking a quick breather in between their work out ... I find most at the gym are in their own world when working out ..... I also do the same.

Once I get too the gym , I usually put on my music and focus on myself......
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    You know what - those looks you are getting - they mostly say "good on you girl - I only hope you are one of the ones that stick around and see it through!!" - I was the super obese girl a little bit over 2 years ago...... and the same thing - I was the only fat person in there!!

Today I have some wonderful friends at that same gym - they have been my biggest cheerleaders - once they saw I kept coming back and busting my gut they were there for me every time I walked in there.....

So when you walk in there and see them looking at you - give them a great big smile - and carry on doing what you are doing - in the end of the day it is all about you ....... and show them you are not one of the ones that will disappear after a few weeks....

Good luck and have fun - and be warned - it is adictive :-)
  • trishmce
    Options
    Be proud of yourself. they may be thinking "good for her!" I know I would. It isn't easy I am far from there and the only people I notice are the annoying ones regardless of their shapes--hogging a machine while they are talking on the phone, hovering over you even though there are 3 other lat pull down stations or talking so loud because they want everyone to know what they are saying.
    Little steps will get you there and one day you can be the kind person who reaches out to the scared new comer.
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    Holy what kind of gym is that? o_o;

I go to gym where elderly people work out and everything inbetween. So...

However, no reason to feel insacure about yourself. You are there to get healthly.

LOL we have elderly people at my gym, too, but they're skinny, muscular mutant creatures and when I use the weight machines after them I have to drop 20 pounds off it!
  • MsJulielicious
    MsJulielicious Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    Whenever I see someone that is heavy t the gym I think "Way to go!" When I started i had 25-30 lbs to lose and that was difficult, so I have respect for someone that has even more to lose because its not easy, but your there doing it. That's what matters. Gl, relax, and focus on the big picture.
  • PaulFromEssex
    Options
    I had the same feeling when I went to my local gym. I'm nearly fifty ... and was at least 20yrs older than any one else there .. including the staff!
    I felt very concious that I was also the thinnest, puniest there ... including the female staff! I couldn't workout to my full potential, tried several times. In the end I bought some weights and work out at home!.
    My advice would be to either:
    A) Ignore those around you and do your own thing
    B) Find a gym where you feel comfortable
    C) Do your training at home .. maybe with a friend or family member

It is tough ... but don't let anything stop you reaching your goals .. you owe it to yourself to be the best you can. :o)
  • aalpass
    aalpass Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I have to admit I'm a bit of a people watcher at the gym. The skinny biatches I'm jealous of and watch what they're doing so i can look like them! The overweight ones I'm secretly proud of. I think good on them for making some life changing decisions and getting out there and doing something!

I say good on you. This journey is about you. And at the end of the day, if they do think OMG WHAT is she doing here... so what?
  • crazy4lulu
    crazy4lulu Posts: 822 Member
    Options
    you my friend..... need to get a good i pod with all sorts of kick *kitten* music. Focus on your music the beat of the music and what you are doing. forget everyone else around you and just let yourself get in tune with the new lifestyle that is soon to be rockin your world. If you dont believe me....feel free to creep my profile and check it out. i was once in your shoes and now i am a personal trainer helping people reach and exceed their goals. We all had to start somewhere, and i know what you are feeling!!!:smile:
  • ton40orbust
    Options
    I have 2 tshirts one says "I'm in shape... round is a shape" and another one that says "Work in Progress" I wear those when I'm feeling particularly insecure. I also have my work out playlist and I just jam away to my music and get lost in my own head I end up ignoring everybody there.
  • debbiejojo
    Options
    The more you go--the less insecure you'll be. I was over weight and out of shape a few years ago. I worked out with a trainer, did cardio every day, trained for a marathon and thought I was in pretty good shape. Then my husband lost his job, I took on a promotion at work to off set his loss of income, worked 12 hour days and stopped working out and watching my diet. 18 months later and 50lbs more - a week ago I stepped into that same gym. During those 18 months of agony I thought I wouldn't go back to the gym until I lost some weight as I didn't want to face all those in shape regulars. It was and continues to be hard to see people that were my friends and now they see me 50lbs heavier. For the most part - they've all been sincere and happy to see I'm back.

You have started a journey and you are an inspiration. Every week those regulars see you there eventually they will compliment you and support you. Hang in there. Just bury yourself in music and eventually you'll find some regulars that will become your support group!

Just do it and stick to it!
    Deb
  • Stormborn25
    Options
    I agree with the other posters, when I am looking at ppl at the gym I am either thinking "go you!" Or I'm vaguely staring at them while mulling over issues at work or what I'm going to do next weekend.

The thing to remember is every person there is there because they are working on something, whether that is losing weight, getting fitter or stronger, maintaining their health etc. We are all there working on a goal. So no one should be judging any one else we are all just at different points on the same spectrum!

Loud music does help too. :)
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    Dont worrry about how you think you look in comparison to others. Its a gym that you pay to be at. Just keep going.
  • bfairbanks1982
    bfairbanks1982 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Stay positive....I use to have a fear of the gym, but my hubby use to tell me...most people are looking at you in awe...you are here kicking butt and working harder than most in this gym...if they are are not looking at you with respect..then F**k them!!! The more you workout and start to see progress, the better and more secure you will feel. Any decent person will respect you for working hard to better yourself!! :smile:
  • hlcook
    hlcook Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I went to the gym the other day, for the first time in my entire life, with the mindset of getting fit and healthy. With almost 100 lbs to lose to get in a healthy BMI, I'm a pretty big girl. But when I got to the gym, I felt super self conscious! There were literally NO overweight people in there...everyone had a body like a God and were easing through their workouts. They gave me weird looks and I became super self aware of my every movement. I felt like everyone was looking at my red, sweaty face, listening to me being out of breath.

So today, I went out and bought some nice work out clothes and a sportsbra (desperately needed) in the hopes that looking more like a gym rat will help me feel like I fit in.

Any tips on feeling more comfortable while trying to work out around others?

*P.S. I can't change gyms at the moment, I have a free membership to this gym and cannot afford a different one.

I don't know if this will help or hinder ... but as a former "fat girl" I wrote a blog post about people who are heavy and at the gym. ...

http://redwritinghood.ca/1858/dear-fat-people/

Heather
  • Jeffdawn64
    Jeffdawn64 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    You are not there to be in a fashion show or on the cat walk. You are there because you want to be healthier and get in better shape. Put the blinders on, plug in the ear buds and go to it. Sad that they have nothing better to do than to judge another! Put them in there place!!!! I am still the "big" girl and exercise and Zumba with all the young pups that are still wet behind the ears :) You can do this!!!