Organic foods debunked

Options

Replies

• BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    yes they are more expensive and yes they many not be any better than non-organic products. I still feel better buying them.

The only honest reason people buy organic foods. They feel all warm and fuzzy doing it. You can post all the logic that you want that they are no healthier, aren't even pesiticide free, and in fact in many ways can be more likely to cause sickness or disease than their non-organically labelled counterparts.

Doesn't matter. To some people organic will always be better. Because.. chemicals.
  • amanda_catherine
    Options
    but organic peppers taste better.. .as do bananas they are creamier and yummier... other than that.. umm ya i just buy local... i bought organic lettuce once and it was covered with dozens and dozens of little green worms that were moving around....
  • underwater77
    underwater77 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I personally have always thought it better to buy locally than organically. That's just me.

I do still buy organic milk, eggs, and meat when I can.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Once organics became a thing, the corporations lobbied and invented ways around the laws...The sad part of this is that there are actually true organic farmers out there. But, how do you know which is which. It's like giving money to a homeless person. You don't know if they're really homeless or not, so I just don't give any money to any of them.

So sad but true. Everything pure gets perverted by greed. :cry:
    If you know the source (even better if it's local and you can personally fact check it) it's easier to trust the claims, but food labeling is so unreliable and dishonest, for the most part it's just a guessing game.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    The op Ed is very biased about a research paper that is rather neutral, or lightly pro-organic in its conclusions. I'm not pro organic but let's not make a research paper say what it does not.
  • leopardjunkie
    Options
    what my organic oreo cookies are not healthier and safer?!?! say it isn"t so (snicker)
  • DesireeLovesOrganic
    DesireeLovesOrganic Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Then don't buy it. More for us! LOL We haven't had colds in a year, I will stick with what's working for us. :) No GMOs and here organic produce is cheap (California) and easy to get locally. It does taste better too.
  • foleyshirley
    foleyshirley Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    I personally have always thought it better to buy locally than organically. That's just me.

I do still buy organic milk, eggs, and meat when I can.

This is the real answer. Organic is now big business, and suffers from the same problems that plague all big business. There are now huge farms involved, leading to shipping issues. Nutritionally, it is not any better for you. Local is the way to go. They can wait until things ripen more naturally because the aren't shipping it nationally.
  • foleyshirley
    Options
    Then don't buy it. More for us! LOL We haven't had colds in a year, I will stick with what's working for us. :) No GMOs and here organic produce is cheap (California) and easy to get locally. It does taste better too.

GMOs have nothing to do with colds.
  • missyfarr
    missyfarr Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    The fight between organic vs. non is such a miniscule health risk/benefit vs. overly processed and nutrient poor diets.

Eat whole foods, and feel good about it, organic or not.

Pretty much agree with this post. I buy local as much as I can and even if the local stuff isn't certified "organic", a lot of times, it is organic. I know my farmers and have visited their farms. I also try to buy the dirty dozen organic whenever I can. We also buy organic milk (our kids eat a lot of cereal for breakfast).
  • DesireeLovesOrganic
    Options

Nope, just tumors and organ damage. http://www.biolsci.org/v05p0706.htm
  • EvaD12
    EvaD12 Posts: 49
    Options
    I'm going to start by saying I don't know that much about this,

I though organic food was about less pesticides, so even if there are some surely it's got to be better non-organic? Sure it might not be perfect but it sounds like a step in the right direction at least!

What about the effect on the environment is organic better in terms of protecting and sustaining the environment??
  • foleyshirley
    Options

:). Do you eat any processed corn products or stuff made with corn meal. Over 90 percent of those products in the US are GMO. Sugar in the US is mostly from sugar beets. At least 85-90 percent GMO in the U S. Not a food, but most of our cotton is GMO. I don't like GMOs for environmental reasons. But for safety reasons....they have been with us a long time. Think what you will, but if you get cancer, it is very unlikely it is due to GMOs.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    What I don't understand is why people want so badly to "debunk" organics. If I choose to buy organic on the chance that there is indeed some truth to the concept then why do others care? It's my money and I opt to spend a little more even if it is only eliminating a portion of the normally consumed pesticides. No one is forcing anyone to buy organic but those who don't seem almost cranky about the whole thing.
    I don't buy blindly into every fad that comes along. I do my research and for every article posted that claims to debunk organics I can post one that refutes it. At least no one is knocking on your door or bombarding your email trying to convince you to spend money on organic, unlike those promoting the magic health and weight loss properties of Shakeology or Herbal Life.

Information is power. Once organics became a thing, the corporations lobbied and invented ways around the laws. It's just total bs. I don't care what anyone does, I just think its important to understand what it is.

The sad part of this is that there are actually true organic farmers out there. But, how do you know which is which. It's like giving money to a homeless person. You don't know if they're really homeless or not, so I just don't give any money to any of them.

If you stick to getting a CSA membership where you can visit the farm, work on the farm and see how it works you know what your getting.

I don't buy organics or much of anything from any mainstream market or grocery store..........

My meats come from local farms as well as the majority of my vegetables and fruits. So, in my household......we eat mostly what is local and in season.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    yes they are more expensive and yes they many not be any better than non-organic products. I still feel better buying them.

The only honest reason people buy organic foods. They feel all warm and fuzzy doing it. You can post all the logic that you want that they are no healthier, aren't even pesiticide free, and in fact in many ways can be more likely to cause sickness or disease than their non-organically labelled counterparts.

Doesn't matter. To some people organic will always be better. Because.. chemicals.

That last part is laughable. You don't hear about all the food recalls for listeria and salmonella coming from the organic farms......

They are coming from the conventional, factory farmed methods.

I will continue to enjoy my CSA membership, happily work on the farm getting Vitamin D from the sun and eat my organic produce when it is delivered to my door every Wednesday during the growing season.
  • DesireeLovesOrganic
    Options

:). Do you eat any processed corn products or stuff made with corn meal. Over 90 percent of those products in the US are GMO. Sugar in the US is mostly from sugar beets. At least 85-90 percent GMO in the U S. Not a food, but most of our cotton is GMO. I don't like GMOs for environmental reasons. But for safety reasons....they have been with us a long time. Think what you will, but if you get cancer, it is very unlikely it is due to GMOs.

Nope. I helped worked on the labeling GMO campaign in California (but we lost.) Soy is mostly GMO too. Some zucchini and papaya too. GMO foods are not allowed to be labeled organic though (although there is a loophole if it's less than 5%, like sometimes they squeeze "soy lecithin" in as a last ingredient...like Green and Black's "organic" chocolate.)
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    I thought everyone knew this. Organic is meaningless completely in the USA.

Figures.
  • DesireeLovesOrganic
    Options

That last part is laughable. You don't hear about all the food recalls for listeria and salmonella coming from the organic farms......

I will continue to enjoy my CSA membership, happily work on the farm getting Vitamin D from the sun and eat my organic produce when it is delivered to my door every Wednesday during the growing season.

I love CSA too. Like a box of surprises! It's fun to come up with new creative recipes too. I try to grow some of my own in my small little yard but this year only my bell peppers, green beans, and cherry tomatoes made it. I killed my cilantro, tomatillos, and red hot chili peppers. Boo! LOL
  • foleyshirley
    Options

Again, this. Organic is now conventional. That is what big business will do.
  • Sunka1
    Sunka1 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    That's why it's so important to visit farmers markets and farmstands so you can ask these questions. I have a met a lot of organic growers in my area that do not use any organic pesticides or herbicides. But it's true that organic, in the broad sense, means nothing these days.