Dairy unhealthy? dairy/almond/rice or soy?

Options
124»

Replies

• mactaffy84
    mactaffy84 Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    I wonder why this topic is so contentious?

Milk might not be the most healthy thing for people. A study in the J Natl Cancer Inst, granted from 1998, showed. "Strong" association with milk consumption and prostate cancer. You'd have to review the article, because I don't recall their definition of "strong", but I believe that it was greater than just "statistically significant".

There is always more anecdotal tidbits one can ponder. For example, US women, on average, drink 30-32 times as much cow's milk as women living in New Guinea, yet have 47 times as many broken hips. There could be millions of reasons, but it does cause one to think. An article in the journal Osteoporosis, 1991, found that in a multi-country analysis of hip fracture incidence and dairy product consumption found that milk consumption has a "high" statistical association with higher rates,of hip fractures. I find this interesting, though I wouldn't say that this means that drinking milk causes osteoporosis, I would want to further look into the advertising that we get from the American Dairy Council saying that drinking milk prevents,osteoporosis. There are suggestions of why ,ilk isn't protective ( e.g., milk obviously had a large amount of animal protein, animal protein ingestion results in a heavy acid load in the blood which causes calcium to be released from bone to correct the acid-base balance). Could be, because it has been shown that high amounts of animal protein is correlated (please notice here, I am not saying cause) with higher hip,fracture rates (1992 study in Calcif Tissue Int).

I think people need to research this to find out what is important for them. However, at least in the US, I would caution against using the USDA as your sole reference point. That's like asking the fox to watch the henhouse.

Ultimately, to each his own. I do like milk, though I have cut back because based on research I have done, I'm not convinced we need it, despite what I have been indoctrinated to believe. I do think there are worse things to consume, so if I have some yogurt or ice cream, I'm not going to freak out.

Research, people, research.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    I would be happy to provide you some links if first tell me if that will accomplish anything. Usually with posts like this the questioner is hit with facts and Tries refute them, really not looking for facts, but an argument. If that is not your intention feel free to pm me.

I'm actually asking because I'm a fence sitter on many topics. And to tell you the truth I am likely to refute many things I do or don't believe just for the sake of getting another idea or view on things, because someone else well likely refute what I said. And sometimes I learn from it. But as for this particular topic always goes I've never heard anything proving that milk is bad for people ever that applies to me. And all of the things I have seen has been ridiculously easy to argue against even if I don't care about the topic or which side of the fence it falls on. The only things I usually hear about are the things you have already mentioned in the first post that have been proven to not be true since there exists laws in a system that checks and punishes those who do not follow said laws about pus antibiotics etc. So it just seems like a bunch of people who don't know what they're talking about are running off at the mouth with nothing to say even though many of them know they're not telling the truth and are in fact fear mongering. But Some people who run off at the mouth do it because they have a very strong reason for it, they're just bad with words. And they're either really ill informed, big liars for another reason, or they're not saying the thing that I don't know about. I'm just wondering if there's anything that could cause dairy to be unhealthy. There's many things proven from other foods to be bad but in particular situations to the point you could argue that some of those things could be bad for you. The only thing I've seen with milk is lactose intolerance, nothing more serious then that. I'm impartial. I go off and on and off milk. If it wasn't so easy to get everything I needed from it and how its so easily absorbed then I'd probably never drink it.

I figured as much. Good luck with that.

I for one am interested in your links assuming the following:

1. They are not propaganda pages;
    2. They contain evidence from actual studies, not anecdotes ("the plural of 'anecdote' is not 'data'.")
    3. Where there are studies/evidence, it is peer-reviewed
    4. The studies are modern (5 years old or less) and the country/countries where testing occurred are stated - this is to ensure legislation is easy to source

If your links meet these requirements, I will approach them with an open mind. If not, then I will assume that your position is contrary for the sake of it.

Not believing you for a second with the attitude from that post assuming I was just going to feed your hogwash.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    I would be happy to provide you some links if first tell me if that will accomplish anything. Usually with posts like this the questioner is hit with facts and Tries refute them, really not looking for facts, but an argument. If that is not your intention feel free to pm me.

I'm actually asking because I'm a fence sitter on many topics. And to tell you the truth I am likely to refute many things I do or don't believe just for the sake of getting another idea or view on things, because someone else well likely refute what I said. And sometimes I learn from it. But as for this particular topic always goes I've never heard anything proving that milk is bad for people ever that applies to me. And all of the things I have seen has been ridiculously easy to argue against even if I don't care about the topic or which side of the fence it falls on. The only things I usually hear about are the things you have already mentioned in the first post that have been proven to not be true since there exists laws in a system that checks and punishes those who do not follow said laws about pus antibiotics etc. So it just seems like a bunch of people who don't know what they're talking about are running off at the mouth with nothing to say even though many of them know they're not telling the truth and are in fact fear mongering. But Some people who run off at the mouth do it because they have a very strong reason for it, they're just bad with words. And they're either really ill informed, big liars for another reason, or they're not saying the thing that I don't know about. I'm just wondering if there's anything that could cause dairy to be unhealthy. There's many things proven from other foods to be bad but in particular situations to the point you could argue that some of those things could be bad for you. The only thing I've seen with milk is lactose intolerance, nothing more serious then that. I'm impartial. I go off and on and off milk. If it wasn't so easy to get everything I needed from it and how its so easily absorbed then I'd probably never drink it.

2. They contain evidence from actual studies, not anecdotes ("the plural of 'anecdote' is not 'data'.")
    4. The studies are modern (5 years old or less) and the country/countries where testing occurred are stated - this is to ensure legislation is easy to source

If your links meet these requirements, I will approach them with an open mind. If not, then I will assume that your position is contrary for the sake of it.

Not believing you for a second with the attitude from that post assuming I was just going to feed your hogwash.

Translates to: I got nothing from a credible source. The request was reasonable and fair. All the condesension you can muster doesn't change that one bit.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options

Translates to: I got nothing from a credible source. The request was reasonable and fair. All the condesension you can muster doesn't change that one bit.

Translates to: I just want to argue for the sake of arguing.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options

Pretty please, can I see your sources? I love reading.
  • BranMuffin947
    BranMuffin947 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I prefer almond because of the low calorie count, second would be soy but in reality, its cheaper to get regular. I don't crave milk, nor do I drink it regularly so I don't see a problem here. If you drink a lot of milk than I could see where people can get concerned.
  • mmapags
    Options

Weak. Very weak. Time to put up or ....well you know the rest. Whatta you got? Anything? Or are you just a trolling time waster? Feel free to put up any peer reviewed studies that support your point of view. That is the generally accepted standard of proof. Got anything?
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    Sorry guys, you won't find any evidence. It's just a mind virus that infects its host with disgusting popups associated with particular foods, and compels the host to share their vision (and infect new victims with the same imagery) at every opportunity, such as this thread. That's why you encounter this meme: it is successful at doing both of the above.
  • mmapags
    Options
    (chirp, chirp) (chirp, chip) Note: the sound of crickets waiting for proof.
  • KombuchaCat
    KombuchaCat Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    Read "Diet For a New America." It's got all the research you need on why we don't need cow's milk and why we don't need as much protein or calcium as is normally recomended.
  • mmapags
    Options
    Read "Diet For a New America." It's got all the research you need on why we don't need cow's milk and why we don't need as much protein or calcium as is normally recomended.

I haven't read it but I am generaly familiar with it. it is not a matter of "needing" cow's milk. It is a matter of whether it is a reasonably healthy choice. We really don't NEED any specific food. There is always an alternate source for the same nutrients.
  • themutineer
    themutineer Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I make my own almond milk, as it is relatively easy and inexpensive. I can use the almond pulp left over after the straining process to make a variety of different things as well.

Great idea, have any suggestions for recipes? I've been thinking of trying to make the almond milk just to see how different it tastes compared to the store bought stuff.

To yield two cups, you will need:
    1 Cup of raw almonds
    3 Cups of water
    1 Tsp. of Agave Nectar
    Blender
    Cheesecloth
    Spatula

Optional:
    Cinnamon
    Vanilla extract
    Dates

Put 1 cup of raw almonds in a large bowl with 3 cups of water and let them soak for at least an hour. If you can, soak them overnight for a better milk.
    Prepare a large container covered with three layers of cheesecloth in which you will strain your nut mixture later.
    Drain the almonds, then pour them into a blender along with another 2 cups of fresh water. Blend on a low setting for two minutes before using a spatula to give your mixture a good stir.
    Then toss another cup of water in along with 1 tsp. of agave nectar or any other flavoring you'd like and blend on low for another two minutes.
    Now strain your milk through the cheesecloth.

Your homemade almond milk will last in the refrigerator for up to three days, and can be used in all kinds of recipes as a substitute for dairy milk. I've used the pulp in baking, and have dehydrated it to sprinkle onto things.
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options

I'm pretty suspicious of commercial diet books having dropped a couple of clangers in my time. Just previewed on Amazon and the references are not all to published papers they are mostly to news articles, YouTube videos and books like "Farming and Gardening in The Bible". Really? That would be an epic fail for a first year degree paper.