What does your spouse or significant other think?

Options
I was just wondering how your weight loss is affecting your relationships. One reason I am losing weight is to look good for my husband. I guess this is normal for most also.

However...

How have things changed since you lost weight? How was it during the whole weight loss process? Any advice on how to tackle the issue with your partner?

Thanks!!!

Replies

• essaryswife73
    essaryswife73 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    My husband is doing this with me. He's very supportive and positive about it all. I hope everyone who is in a relationship has a very supportive significant other!
  • My0WNinspiration
    My0WNinspiration Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    I have the most inspiring, supportive partner in the world.
  • marthathebear
    Options
    My husband is very supportive and is as excited about my reaching goal weight as I was. He has been there every step of the way and can't keep his hands off my much smaller butt!
  • chervil6
    chervil6 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    im losing weight for my self not my husband ! if he likes the effect of my weight loss , well good :) but ultimately im doing it for my self .......
  • akgreen83
    Options
    My husband is who motivated me. He joined Weight Watchers last year and has lost 60 lbs, so far. He is now doing C25K & I couldn't sit on my butt and watch him anymore. I had to do something, too.
  • BelindaDuvessa
    BelindaDuvessa Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    I wish my husband would lose weight with me....he doesn't need to lose alot, but he has no desire to count calories or anything. So, I don't see him getting any smaller. Maybe I can convince him to start exercising....we'll see.

I've explained to him my goals and reasonings behind wanting to lose weight. I don't even really want to lose, so much as just get more fit. I work in a demanding field at times, and the stronger I am physically, the better. Plus I want to keep up with our 4 kids.

As for us, communication was key for me.
  • petersonabt
    petersonabt Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    My husband loved me when I was under weight, when I was way over weight and still loved me now that I am healthy. He supports me and even started a healthy lifestyle himself. The last time he saw me was almost over 30lbs ago...so kinda curious how things will go once he is home.

side note: he is deployed that's why he is not home.
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    My husband has seen me start and abandon so many weight loss and/or fitness efforts that he's completely lost confidence in me, I think. He's been good to me through fat and thin, so my weight loss and fitness efforts truly don't matter to him. I'll just have to stay the course this time and surprise both of us.
  • solarpower03
    solarpower03 Posts: 12,159 Member
    Options
    My SO is always suspicious that I am trying to be fit for looking/dating/affairs with other girls!
  • halleyg2
    halleyg2 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, I'm single. I hope that I can find a man who would love and support me no matter what. I envy people who have someone like that.
  • laynunugawa
    laynunugawa Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    my husband has been very supportive. He doesn't make comments when I stray and is always honest when I ask him questions about my weightloss journey. Normally he'll give me a please don't troll look when i ask him if my butt looks big lol. otherwise he never makes comments unless its to tell me that he thinks im beautiful or that he notices a difference.

One thing that he has notice is that my confidence and how I see myself has gotten better and more positive. He truly loves that aspect it because he doesnt care wether or not I lose weight but I how I feel about myself
  • KyleB65
    KyleB65 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    I have been married to a wonderful woman for over 20 years. For all but the past 12 - 18 months I have been over weight. With the worst being the 2 -3 years prior to my making a life change.

It goes without saying that my wife is happy and relieved that I have made a change for the better and that I am doing something proactive with regards to my health. And, at the beginning she and my children were my biggest supporters who offered me encouragement every day. But.......

Once my weight loss journey ended, my fitness journey started. A journey of 2 -3 runs per week + 2 martial arts classes per week + 2 - 3 weight training sessions per week + (when I have the $) a gymnastics class per week. Although my wife is not angry nor does she discourage my new found past times. But, she feels that I have become obsessed and she may be right? Because of our varied job schedules and my work out schedule we do not often do things together just the two of us. This disappoints her and it is up to me to adjust my life a little for her. I try but I know that I need to do more.

I am just very lucky that I am married to a patient person!
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    My wife is very supportive. Since I am bulking now (and also not tracking intake for personal reasons) I let her decide where we go out to eat and I let her have most of the say in what we have for dinner and I structure my diet around that.

When I am cutting, which I'll begin around March, she will go back to measuring and counting the ingredients any time she makes dinner, and when we go out to eat I'll usually be the one to decide where, so that I'll be able to accurately hit my macro targets/etc.

I'm very fortunate.
  • ashesfromfire
    ashesfromfire Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    It was a rocky start with my SO. He didn't understand why I was doing it and was constantly giving me crap for counting calories, or lecturing me how bad running was for my knees, yadda yadda. But after a couple months and me dropping so much weight he's gotten on board. He's loving the way I'm starting to look again and really into encouraging me now. He;s also started eating better and about a week ago started a workout routine of his own. He;s really come around/
  • LanaMcL
    LanaMcL Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    My bf and I do this together. We both encourage each other in both diet and exercise. And are in a great journey together!
  • My boyfriend won't even eat the healthy food I cook and makes no effort to support me directly.
    All he says is
    "Huh. Good for you."
  • alevett
    alevett Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    My husband is very encouraging and tells me how good I look and proud that I am doing so well. However, no matter what weight I have been at, he is always very complimentary. He has never in our 19 year marriage said I didn't look good. He loves my curves, although they have been a little curvier lately (ha). He could also afford to lose some weight but I never say anything about his body as he has never dogged on me. I am working on losing 40 pounds. 11 pounds so far!
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    I was just wondering how your weight loss is affecting your relationships. One reason I am losing weight is to look good for my husband. I guess this is normal for most also.

However...

How have things changed since you lost weight? How was it during the whole weight loss process? Any advice on how to tackle the issue with your partner?

Thanks!!!
    I only knew him for the one year I was over weight and when we started dating I started to lose so he was overly concerned I'm guessing because that's the only way he knew me. He didn't know I felt significantly worse then I previously did. He didn't seem to like me losing weight at all. He also seemed a bit bitter when I didn't want to eat certain things but that seems to have passed. I think he knows a few to many people who have eating disorders and was a bit concerned on that front as well. Now he goes around telling people that it's impressive that I can eat him under the table. Then I started doing the Spartacus workout with weights. Now I think he's concerned that I'll be able to beat him up haha. He was less concerned when he realized how pathetically weak I am when I tried to push him over and failed :(
  • fiona2785
    Options
    My husband has seen me start and abandon so many weight loss and/or fitness efforts that he's completely lost confidence in me, I think. He's been good to me through fat and thin, so my weight loss and fitness efforts truly don't matter to him. I'll just have to stay the course this time and surprise both of us.

^^^This!
  • My bf doesnt know about this its just never come up and I dont feel I need to eat rubbish around him, but my ex think he was helping but he wasnt he ate really bad and i had to eat that with him