What does your spouse or significant other think?

Options

Replies

• triathlete5301
    triathlete5301 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    My fiance has been the most supportive ever. He has always told me I am beautiful no matter what, but he supports me in the fact that I want to lose weight for me.
    I think the biggest thing is communication of why you are doing it and what you need.
  • Catman_Jellytot
    Catman_Jellytot Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend is one of those people who eats like a horse and still stays skinny, so he doesn't have to lose weight, but he has been supportive.

We've been together for nearly 5 years, so he's seen my weight go up and down (and up again...) and he's said that he loves me and tells me that I am beautiflu no matter what, but he knows that I want to lose weight for myself and supports me, and tells me how well I am doing.

It's been a lot about willpower with me, though. He eats a lot of sweet things and big meals, so I have to restrain myself to not eat the same thing he does.

I know he'll love me whether I am 289,189 or 140 lbs, so I'm mostly doing this to feel better about myself.
  • MrsBikiniBound
    Options
    very supportive :) I am losing weight and he is in the process of bulking so its and interesting balance- but he sees my discipline and tells me he can see the commitment when i am making myself meals separate from him to hit my macros. (he needs to eat ALOT more calories than I do so i have gotten pretty creative). Whenever I am feeling a little down he is there to remind me how well i have done. He helps me get excited about exercising again and was there the whole time when i was recovering from my surgery on my Achilles and through my rehab. I married an amazing man :)
  • kaseyAnne425
    Options
    Before, my unhealthy habits were effecting my relationship in a negative way.. I could feel that my SO wasn't as attracted to me because I let myself go.. And he's used to hearing me say "I'm going to stick with it this time".. Obviously, I would love to look great for him, but I feel that me reaching my goals is going to benefit everything in my life, including my relationship!
  • rainghirl
    rainghirl Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I'm doing this for me, as I wasn't feeling very happy being heavier than usual. Oh and also, I'm cheap, I didn't want to have to buy new clothes in a bigger size :wink:

My partner has been very supportive throughout, though sometimes his well intentioned advice has earned him a 2 finger salute when I've just been fed up with eating less than usual and fancied a chocolate, apart from that he's been good about what he cooks for me and has been very good at motivating me when I've felt down about it and reminding me that I have been losing weight and to keep at it. He's enjoyed that we go for lots of walks on the weekend, and has been pretty good really. Nothing has really changed in our relationship though. I'm on maintenance calories now, and that's loads better - I feel like I can eat normally again.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    He thinks I look pretty good naked.
  • VegKellyRN
    VegKellyRN Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend is the reason I got into fitness last year. I always hated the way I looked but never knew what to do to fix it. He gave me the tools and knowledge and now we've gotten closer because of it. I am the number one reason I'm doing this...for ME. But hearing him say he's proud of me is priceless :)
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    I don't have one, woo hoo! My ex was a drag, though. Sometimes he was helpful but not in a constructive way. He would be like "you can't have that, you're trying to lose weight, remember?" but then other times he just wouldn't care and wouldn't say anything. Either way, it wasn't encouraging. I got tired of it. He also would just roll his eyes and complain if I said I didn't want to go out to eat because I didn't have many calories just because he didn't want to eat what I was going to cook or whatever. Got really annoying. But we broke up (for other reasons) and I don't have to deal with anyone anymore, haha! :happy:

Ultimately I'd love to find a guy who's healthy, works out, and we can do it together... but hopefully by that point I will be maintaining and it will just be a healthy lifestyle and not so much "trying to lose weight". That's my dream man.
    Ew I would hate it if someone told me I can't eat something because of my diet. I think you made the right choice he didn't sound silly or funny about it at all, just degrading and mean and kind of selfish. In the future though, you might not want to subject your new man to your eating style because each person learns on their own and for themselves what is good for them and decides in their own time when it's right to make changes. Also not the same things work the same for everyone so good luck with your weight loss and happy hunting or waiting for a new guy, he'll find you, just keep being yourself and only the good matches for you will come your way.
  • Seaglass1123
    Seaglass1123 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    My husband is very supportive and is as excited about my reaching goal weight as I was. He has been there every step of the way and can't keep his hands off my much smaller butt!

This. But at first I think it was annoying to him. I wasn't buying crap food any more & was always asking him to go for walks. But I remember a friend telling me once he saw results he would come around and sure enough he did and he has been amazing. For Christmas one of my gifts came with a trophy for being the weight loss champion lol and with that a weekend away in New Hampshire with a 1/2 day at the spa, sleigh ride, tubing, dinner at a fav place and much more. Oh and $200 for new clothes!!!!
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend won't even eat the healthy food I cook and makes no effort to support me directly.
    All he says is
    "Huh. Good for you."

My wife is the same, except she's not as supportive.

Yeah. I look really different and act different....no comment. Nothing. Yes it bothers me, because part of the reason I want to get healthy is so she will be proud of me. I know she has her own weight and health issues...I try not to dwell on it, and support her as best I can. Frustrated.
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options
    My wife is incredibly supportive. She pushes at the times I need a little push and she backs off at times like now when I'm bulking. As for the benefits of doing this? Our relationship has never been better and the sex is awesome!
  • KimberlyDCZ
    KimberlyDCZ Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    My guy signed up here just 5 days after me. He has been very supportive and is harder on himself than I am. There are times when he says "we can't eat that" or "we need to workout" and if he has anything to say when I get off track, it's always in an encouraging manner. I'm doing this for me, but I do notice that he's more attracted to thinner women so that gives me a little motivation in a different way. We have splurge days occasionally where we eat something we normally wouldn't and although we naturally make healthier choices now, I tend to splurge on special occasions. Last night, we celebrated our 1 yr first date anniversary at a Japanese Steakhouse. Of course we burned some of that off later :blushing: but we're back on track today!
  • Maddalen101
    Maddalen101 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    My husband is unsupportive in the extreme. He is morbidly obese (more than 100 lbs overweight), a workaholic, and does absolute zero things physically. i am not exaggerating. He works from home, and then spends the evening in an easy chair, browsing on the computer. He complains of backache et al, yet will not even take a walk. I am doing this for me. And it is an enormous struggle.
  • prettymommy2012
    Options
    My husband likes my confidence, but he doesn't want me to lose too much weight, so it is hard
  • greenfalls107
    greenfalls107 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    My husband is very supportive, even when life gets too stressful to follow my food plan as I should. When my daughter was in the hospital for a week, he completely understood and supported the fact my weight loss adventure had to go on pause. I have lost 17lbs on WW, and found it too expensive. So, I invested in a kitchen scale, and a fitbit zip, which is about 4 months of WW. But no more monthly fees. :)
  • NaeNaeJanae
    NaeNaeJanae Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    My guys is supportive, but has no desire to do it too. No problem, you can't force someone to do what they don't want. Since I cook, he gets to eat healthy too. It's hard sometimes, because he does want junk sometime, which makes it harder to resist. But it's all good. :)
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    My husband is very supportive and is as excited about my reaching goal weight as I was. He has been there every step of the way and can't keep his hands off my much smaller butt!

This. But at first I think it was annoying to him. I wasn't buying crap food any more & was always asking him to go for walks. But I remember a friend telling me once he saw results he would come around and sure enough he did and he has been amazing. For Christmas one of my gifts came with a trophy for being the weight loss champion lol and with that a weekend away in New Hampshire with a 1/2 day at the spa, sleigh ride, tubing, dinner at a fav place and much more. Oh and $200 for new clothes!!!!

WOW-zers! Trophy is the CUTEst idea I think i've ever heard. I don't even have any results yet but the hubby has been showing up with freeway flowers a lot lately. Can't wait to see what pay dirt brings! He knows I love spa days. So much that I scraped the side of my car getting to one on time. I was on time though!
  • kway610
    kway610 Posts: 162
    Options
    My husband is doing this with me. He's very supportive and positive about it all. I hope everyone who is in a relationship has a very supportive significant other!

Same here! I introduced him to MFP and he was instantly addicted. We work out together, he trains me on the weights. He has his own goals and we are each other's biggest supporters!
  • darlilama
    darlilama Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    The first couple of weeks after I became dead serious on taking off the weight, he was actually sort of angry. Not at me, particularly, just in general. It was weird. It wasn't like it was a surprise to him… I'd made it clear what my intentions were. I told him that I wouldn't eat some of the things he cooked (the man loves to fry in oil and butter). But, I was doing most of the cooking at the time and he started complaining "just because you're on a diet, doesn't mean I am". Believe me, it wasn't going to hurt him to lose a few lbs or eat healthier, either. ;) I stood firm and told him he did not have to eat what I cooked, it would not bother me one bit. If he wanted to cook his own meals, that was fine with me. If he wanted to eat what I cooked, that was cool, too. But, he needed to LET IT GO.

Well, he's sort of lazy that way, so he started eating what I was cooking, although he'd dress his up a bit with butter, etc. :) In not much time he had lost 10lbs, which started inspiring him to work out again. Also, once my weight started coming off, he did appreciate the improvement in my looks and my having more energy.

He's still not full-on eating healthy and exercising, but I do NOT hear any complaints about what I'm doing. I get a lot more "you look really nice" comments, too. :happy:
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    I'm not doing this for my husband. But let's just say, he's not got any complaints with the results so far. :wink: