What is quinoa?

Options
124»

Replies

• mspillman77
    Options
    I found it at Kroger and its inexpensive!
  • LEStacey
    LEStacey Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I have been looking for it recently and have not found it in Publix. I was thinking I'll have to check out a Whole Foods type store.

I've found it at Publix on the very top shelf by the Rice
  • imchicbad
    imchicbad Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    It's deliciousness who cares... We never asked jack n the box what was in the tacos, did we.:huh: it's healthy now eat it.
  • dgljones
    Options
    Mixed a cup of cooked quinoa with a large can of black beans, chopped up onions, red pepper and mushrooms added a bunch of spices and made a big batch of fantastic home made veggie burgers just last night.
  • emrogers
    emrogers Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    quinoa=seed. I think most believe it's a grain but its not. :)
    I LOVE it!
    I buy mine at whole foods 3.99/lb which is the cheapest one, they have red and black quinoa which is 6.99/lb. I have not had those but I heard they're good as well.

I usually make a big batch of this and eat it through out the week. This morning I had it for breakfast which is just AMAZING!!!

I cook it like rice: 1 C quinoa to 2 C of water.

Breakfast: 1 C quinoa 2C soymilk/2% with a pinch of nutmeg and 2 cinnamon sticks. Cook for about 15 mins then turn off heat and let it cook a bit longer covered. Fluff and eat. I'll add raspberries, banana, organic PB anything you would add in your oatmeal is what you would add in breakfast quinoa. I'll have it mixed with my yogurt as well and topped as usual with whatever fruit i'm having.

Dinner/lunch: I make a lot of cilantro lime quinoa, same as above 1 C quinoa/2 C water, I add chicken bouillon or instead make it with 2 C organic chicken stock and it's AMAZING!!!!
    Cilantro lime Quinoa: 1C quinoa 2C water: 1 tbs of chicken bouillon, juice of 2 limes and a tear off some cilantro, let boil, reduct heat and let cook for 15 mins. Once done I add some more fresh cilantro.

* I soak my quinoa for 5 mins then I rinse, rinse, rinse and rinse. It really helps get all to sapotin off the seeds that sometimes might give it a bittery taste. I also just started toasting mine!!! So I rinse like above then toss it in a hot pan and stir, stir, stir, until it's golden brown or however brown you want it. I then put it in a tubberware and use it to cook later like the dinner/lunch receipes above. If its browned I'll throw it in a salad for that amazing nutty crunch texture it gives you!!

ENJOY!!!