Need Opinions On Something Doctor Said

Options
12346»

Replies

• Micahroni84
    Micahroni84 Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    I would ask for blood work to be done. A metabolic panel could tell you if you have a low thyroid. Fasting blood sugar test if that turns out normal to rule out diabetes type 2. Other than that PCOS seems to be the only issue that could be. Since you have a child it is most likely not it but it could be.

I would lower your calories and carbs. Don't eat back your calories ever unless it is a major celebration or something.

I totally agree with this as well as testing for food allergies. I recently learned I'm gluten intolerant and it could be a huge factor in my weight gain and trouble losing weight. Time will tell. But surgery, especially at your age and weight seems pretty extreme. I also agree that your regular physician shouldn't be the main person you talk to about weight loss. Nutritionist first!
  • rininger85
    Options
    join the gym, work 1-on-1 with a trainer for a few months so they can help you develop a good routine, also meet 1-on-1 with a nutritionist so they can help with setting up the foods you should be eating and review with them what you eat... between the nutritionist and the trainer they'll get you going where you want to go and then it will be a lot easier to keep going on your own.
  • Micahroni84
    Micahroni84 Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    I am 50 yrs old, and have had 2 gastric surgeries to lose weight, yes I said 2, the first was In 1991, I was 29 yrs old, and weighed approximately what I do right now (265 LBS). I had a stomach stapling done in Arizona, I flew there from PA, it cost a fortune, because it was new, and at that time nothing with weight-loss surgery or preventative medicine was in place with most medical insurances....The bottom line on any stomach altering surgery is this: All it does is change the physical size of your stomach, whether through banding, staples, a balloon, or actual cutting....it DOES NOT however cure the emotional and mental aspect of why we overeat!. So needless to say, it was a new surgery, with little known, and all they did was send me on my way after the surgery with these instructions:
    Nothing but ice chips or cold and hot clear liquids for 10 days, (I lost 20 LBS), nothing but jello, broth, gravies, for 10 more days, (I lost 10 more LBS), nothing but food pureed in a blender, creamed soups, or jarred baby food for the next 4 months, (I lost 65 more LBS), NO seeds, nuts, or ground grains, for the next year...(tiny things like strawberry seeds can get caught in the staples). And I was told it would take approximately 18 months to 2 years for the skin to grown over the staples to prevent the seeds from getting caught. OH and by the way....whether you like water or not....drink drink drink...because the "normal" healthy adult, can go 72 hours without water before severe effects of dehydration set in,, dementia, blurred vision, dizziness, slipping into unconsciousness ....but once you've had the surgery, it's less then 24 hours.<<<<Scarey
    Soooooo.....all the surgery did was put me on a starvation diet, I could have done that for free, without the pain.......and it WAS painful. Recovery took several weeks, however, now they do laser surgery for the most part, so I am sure it is less painful, but the end game is the same....less calories.
    What they don't tell you is that by eating this way your body starts to experience vitamin deficiencies, it took 3 years of B-12 shots to get me regulated again, I got severely anemic, was tired all the time......and most of all the depletion of some of those nutrients, like B-12, brought on depression.......now my living circumstances were not the best, so that coupled with the vitamin deficiency really threw me into a deep depression, that I struggled with for years.
    The other thing they didn't tell me is that you can EAT THROUGH the staple lines and stretch the stomach back out, oh sure you'll throw-up a lot at the beginning, but I am living proof that having the surgery is no guarantee.
    And just like every other diet....it's about the calories. You can have the surgery, but when you hit phase two, 10 days in, and can have thick liquids, if you start sucking down milkshakes, and soft serve ice cream from McDonald's drive thru....the weight-loss ends!.....In 1996, 5 years later I was back up over 200 LBS, I started throwing up blood, the staples and small metal plate they had put in my stomach was ruptured. I actually had to gain 50 LBS, to have the surgery again to fix it! Why? Because I would have to follow the same eating regimen, and they were worried that by the time I could eat regular food (6 months in), I would be way under weight.
    SOOOOOO I went to GNC and started buying shakes to gain weight, the ones body builders drink, those calories coupled with enormous amounts of food, got me back over 250, where they wanted me to be, before they did the surgery.
    I went back, this time to Iowa, and had the surgery, to repair the first surgery.....and again I lost the same amount of weight in about 9 months, around 115 LBS. And again I went right back to old emotional eating habits with in 3 years......Today I am on another kind of diet, lot's of water, (over 100 ounces a day), nutritious, organic, grass fed, cage free, whole foods. No sugar substitutes, processed foods, wheat, gluten, soy, corn, WHITE rices, breads or pastas.
    The size of your stomach does not need to change to lose weight, just the way you view food, and what you put in your mouth.
    I hope this helped, I have been on MFP since January 1, 3 weeks tomorrow, I have lost 15 LBS., and 9.5 inches. My diary and blog about what I am doing are viewable if you care to add me as a friend. Beth Ann, AKA, Missability.

I am so sorry you had to go through that much pain but i love how honest you are about it and i am so happy for your success since starting MFP. You are and inspiration!
  • dietpepsi100
    dietpepsi100 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I am not sure how much weight you have to lose or how many calories your eating. When I started I said I wanted to lose 2 pounds a week it gave me about 1600 calories to eat I was about 200 pounds overweight. Have you had your thyroid checked? I guess surgery is always an option for me I just could not see doing this procedure unless I give calories in calories out a honest try. I burn at least 1200 calories a day and workout 90 mins monday thur friday and on saturday and sunday I cut back to 60 mins. You have to do what is best for you. Best wishes.