Do you dye your hair? Pro/con

Options
Ok so I am craving a new look to go with my weight loss and cant really buy lots of new clothes. I am 21 abd have never ever dyed my hair. I am scared I will get stuck dying it forever, my natural hair color is nice I am just tired with it. Should I get a cut instead? Really I am wondering if people who dye their hair wish they had never started? Or love the variety? Does your hair get dry?

Replies

• Farah_akbar
    Farah_akbar Posts: 1,692 Member
    Options
    you have nice hair i think you should cut it as i colored my hair once i kept doing it and now my hair is dry as hell and to be honest it kills it i use have long hair but i kept drying my hair is slow at growing if you lask me then i would say no
  • MooMooooo
    MooMooooo Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Dyeing your hair will add shine and body. It's completely reversible if you hate it and want to go back (if you get a colourist to undo it)

So great results for a small investment.

It's not permanent like cutting is.

I should mention I dye my butt length hair black and have done for years now, it was originally light brown.

My hair is course and dry - but it was before I ever dyed it. I notice positive changes right after a colour which slowly reduce between colours.
  • baldzach
    baldzach Posts: 1,841 Member
    Options
    Dyeing my hair...? Hmmm... Never considered it. Think I could pull it off?
  • SwimFan1981
    SwimFan1981 Posts: 1,430 Member
    Options
    Try a temporary dye that doesn't have ammonia or peroxide in it, it may only last a few washes but if you don't like it, you're not stuck with it :smile:
  • SwimFan1981
    SwimFan1981 Posts: 1,430 Member
    Options

:laugh:
  • redragtop05
    redragtop05 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I love coloring my hair....nice to change it up every once in a while
  • redragtop05
    Options

:laugh: my husband's bald and I love it!!
  • nancycaregiver
    nancycaregiver Posts: 812 Member
    Options

Yes, baldzach! I think you should dye it! :laugh:

I dye my hair! But it is because I'm old and if I didn't, I'd be grey. And I'm just not ready for that yet!!
  • StephCoff1969
    Options
    <---- Manic Panic... It is a temporary dye.. It has no chemicals and I love the colors... I am pretty bold when it comes to doing my hair though... :wink:
  • sunrise611
    sunrise611 Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    Don't dye your hair. You are too young and don't need to get into that trap and the chemicals can ruin your hair.

If anything, you can experiment with some highlights but be careful not to dry out your hair.

When you are older and start getting gray, you will need to dye your hair and it will become a tiresome chore.

So, enjoy your hair now while you are young and try experimenting more with different cuts and styles.
  • redragtop05
    Options

I dye my hair! But it is because I'm old and if I didn't, I'd be grey. And I'm just not ready for that yet!!
    '
    Don't color your hair....Men always look nice with grey hair...It's us women that don't.....it's not fair!!
  • crazytreelady
    crazytreelady Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    I am 20, just dyed my hair red for the first time recently, most of it washed out already ahaha.
    I'm gonna let it grow out.

If you decide to dye your hair, just remember a shade close to your natural one in case you want to go back.
  • feliligram
    Options
    I love dying my hair. :)
  • cubbies77
    cubbies77 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    If you aren't ready to commit, buy a hair color you can apply yourself. You can get some that last for a week or just a few washes.

If you decide you like it, go to a salon rather than buying the "permanent" color at the store. The professional dye looks so much better, and your hair will have natural color and shine to it.

If you don't want to keep doing the roots over and over, choose something that's close to your natural color. You can also do highlights or low-lights. My hair is dark brown, so I dye it black. You can't tell when my roots come in because my natural color is already very dark. My hair always gets lighter toward the ends, so it already looks black on top. I dye it to even out the color along the entire length of the strand (and now I dye it to cover up the grey... blargh).

The cool thing about being blonde is that you can get away with lots of different shades of blonde and red, and highlights look really good in blonde hair.
  • clarkeje1
    clarkeje1 Posts: 1,624 Member
    Options
    Do a semi perminant dye
  • LindseyAlyssa
    Options
    Temporary hair color is a great idea if you're not sure what you want. Or use an online photo editor and change the color of your hair by using the paintbrush tool and lowering the opacity (or put your face on someone else's with a hair style you like). That's how I decided to chop all my hair off and was so glad I did! And if you take care or your hair, it will not dry it out. I've been dying my hair for around 10 years and, except for my first bleach attempt, I have not had a problem with hair drying out. Just watch heat with hairdryers and flat irons, and you can use sulfate free shampoo to prolong the color.

edit: also worth mentioning that even though temporary color fades, it does not completely wash out, especially if you have lighter hair naturally. What you can do is get Vitamin C powder and mix it with some shampoo, and that really helps extract the color (at least it works on funny hair colors like blue and pink). It will leave your hair feeling a bit dry, but doing an oil treatment will restore it. I don't have the exact instructions, so take to google if this interests you.
  • keepitcroosh
    keepitcroosh Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    When there is dye, the chances of damage is way higher. Ive been dying my hair since I was in the sixth grade. I did the mistake of cutting my hair and im not even kidding, ive had the same hair length for over 8 years. Ive been trying to make it healthier by not straightening it anymore, putting Moroccan oils, coconut oils, keratine sprays etc in my hair. Ive been doing this for already a year and there is barely any change. Everyone else is saying if you don't like it you can just change it. In a way, that is true, but you will also need to wait a minimum of 2 weeks to prevent damage, and even after that, it will still be damaging. Go see a good hair dresser, and tell him or her that you want to do something new. Together you might be able to come up with something awesome.

By the way, at home dyes are much more harsh on your hair, so always get it done professionally.
  • pudadough
    pudadough Posts: 1,271 Member
    Options
    I was a lot like you when I was first considering coloring. The permanence scared me. But I started going gray at 19 (not even kidding, runs in the family) so I am thankful for hair dye! I also get SO many compliments on my particular color (reddish/auburn.) It's a great ego boost from a measly $3 box of Revlon color!

I have also found another color in the same line that is almost an exact match for my natural hair so that I can just dye and grow out if I ever choose to. I started with that when I was just looking to cover grays and then gradually branched out to more daring colors. A good salon colorist would also be able to help you blend or match colors if you needed to, I would think.

But as for me, I like coloring my hair and don't plan on stopping anytime soon. :happy:
  • sissiluv
    sissiluv Posts: 2,205 Member
    Options
    If you're afraid of permenantly losing your natural colour you shouldn't be. c: It'll come back, given enough time.
    However, I would reccomend starting with a non-permenant dye and working your way up from there if you really are worried about it. Likewise, keep close to your natural colour initially. The darker you get, the harder it is to go back and the lighter you go, the more you can damage your hair with bleach. Also, don't be afraid of conditioner!

I've dyed my hair purple, red, a few different shades of brown and black, as well as streaking it orange. I wouldn't say that it's visibly damaged my hair in the least.
    Matter of fact, the only thing that's pooched it thus far has been stress, and possibly a small nutrient deficiency.
  • sissiluv
    sissiluv Posts: 2,205 Member
    Options

'
    Don't color your hair....Men always look nice with grey hair...It's us women that don't.....it's not fair!!
    In full disagreement with this. A silver haired dame is lovely in my opinion!