Eggs

Options
I've been doing some research on eating healthy and what have you, and so far it's about 50/50 when it comes to eggs. I* never go above 2 a day, but is the whole egg better or the egg whites? egg whites I know are lower cal, but do you lose any protein or other health benefits?

*sorry, I never go above 2 a day. my own preference*

Replies

• ashlinmarie
    ashlinmarie Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    I find it worth it to eat the whole egg. Yes, it is higher in fat and cholesterol (and if you're watching your cholesterol, it might be better to avoid whole eggs) but they also have more protein and contain all the Vitamin D and Iron in the egg. However, one thing I've noticed is that you can get a lot of benefits by having 1 whole egg and 2 egg whites, but it is still lower in calories and fat than just two whole eggs.
  • specialmeandmore
    specialmeandmore Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Why never above two a day?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    i usually have 3 eggs in an omelette.... it doesn tseem to have done me any harm!
  • Bbwnomore2
    Bbwnomore2 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    no clue, i no longer eat eggs from the carton. I eat egg beaters instead.
  • sdreed25
    sdreed25 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I eat the whole, as I hate waste and have no worries about cholesterol! I do sometimes buy the pre-packed 15 egg white packs to add to other eggs as that way there is no waste but not many shops carry them. On the number a day front I know the recommendation here in the UK was max 2 per day but that changed recently and there is now no limit, which is good for me as I now eat 4 some days in a big old egg only omelette for Breakfast
  • NeverGivesUp
    NeverGivesUp Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    I eat a ton of eggs every day. Whole eggs and my health has never been better.
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    Whole eggs for me and plenty of them.

Dietary cholesterol does not affect blood serum cholesterol and 'high' cholesterol isn't a problem anyway.

One less thing to worry about, bonus :)
  • misswager
    misswager Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I have a whole egg, in combination with some whites. There are arguments about wether or not the cholesterol in the yolks are 'bad' for you. But I typically don't have more than 1 whole egg when I eat them...

The albumen (white) contains about 80% of the protein in the egg. The yolk serves primarily as a fat source for the growing embryo. One white contains approx. 10g of protein
  • shanster23
    shanster23 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I was under the impression that eggs are good for cholesterol. You have 'good' cholesterol and 'bad' cholesterol, and eggs raise your cholesterol yes, but they raise the good stuff and not the bad stuff. That's what I've been told at least :)
  • Maidofmer
    Maidofmer Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    Why never above two a day?

I cant really do more than that.
  • sohmui
    sohmui Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    That's interesting about the change to no limit in the UK. I added "cholesterol" to the nutrition values on my food diary and two eggs are enough to send cholesterol way over the top. That said, I've been eating 3-egg omelettes on and off all my life. Had a cholesterol test last year for the first time ever and it was normal.
  • sohmui
    sohmui Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I was under the impression that eggs are good for cholesterol.
    They are. And we need good cholesterol.
    http://www.livestrong.com/blog/the-healthiest-food-in-the-world/
  • Maidofmer
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I was getting confused with it. I didn't want to throw out the yolk cause I cant stand wasting food or money. I eat mine hard boiled. Ever since pregnancy, I can't stand the smell of cooking eggs. but since lots of you eat them whole and haven't seen any issues, don't see a reason not to.
  • Hbazzell
    Hbazzell Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    Whites are lower cal and have more protein per ounce. They are also choleterol free. Yolks are in breads and other baked good that use egg so I dont eat them since I am already having them snuck in to my food.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Eat the whole egg if it fits into your calories and macros.
  • sozisfitnow
    sozisfitnow Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I just had two boiled eggs for breakfast !
  • prudism
    prudism Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I wanted to know this as well
    I love eggs
    but i was thinking maybe the cholestrel was not good for me
    I think I will go back to a couple at breakfast
    thanks everyone
  • SunKissed1989
    SunKissed1989 Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    "How do you like your eggs in the morning?"
    I like mine whole, poached and on toast or as an omelette.

The yolk has always been my favourite part of the egg - reminds me of my childhood when I would dip 'toasted soldiers' in boiled eggs and see the yolk spill out onto the plate mmmmmm tasty:tongue:
  • Maidofmer
    Options
    "How do you like your eggs in the morning?"
    I like mine whole, poached and on toast or as an omelette.

The yolk has always been my favourite part of the egg - reminds me of my childhood when I would dip 'toasted soldiers' in boiled eggs and see the yolk spill out onto the plate mmmmmm tasty:tongue:

you ever make eggie in the basket? when I was a kid, my dad would butter both sides of a piece of bread, make a hole in the middle, put it in the pan and crack an egg in the hole. it was awesome