Eggs

Options

Replies

• DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    egg whites I know are lower cal, but do you lose any protein or other health benefits?

Yes. Like half the protein and all the benefits. Eat the whole egg
  • KatherineStar
    KatherineStar Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    this sounds delicious!! gonna try it
  • 714rah714
    714rah714 Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    Issues with cholesterol so I limit my egg consumption to once a week. Still scary when three eggs puts you over the cholesterol limit for the day
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options
    Issues with cholesterol so I limit my egg consumption to once a week. Still scary when three eggs puts you over the cholesterol limit for the day
    If you lived in Canada, you wouldn't have gone over your cholesterol because there is no restriction on cholesterol. They seem to have understood the research a little better I would imagine.
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    I eat one to three eggs a day. Hard boiled eggs make a great breakfast or lunch. If I am at a deli, I try to get two hard boiled eggs and a salad (no cheese croutons or dressings) for lunch. I like to make scrambled eggs with a 1 whole egg to two egg whites (as in the carton egg whites) for my family.

I lost 45 pounds last year, and ate eggs every day. I think they are great for fitness!
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    If you lived in Canada, you wouldn't have gone over your cholesterol because there is no restriction on cholesterol. They seem to have understood the research a little better I would imagine.

So much common sense but still you are allowed to inflict Celine Dion on the world ... How can this be? ;)
  • fattyfoodie
    fattyfoodie Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Whole eggs for me and plenty of them.

Dietary cholesterol does not affect blood serum cholesterol and 'high' cholesterol isn't a problem anyway.

One less thing to worry about, bonus :)

This exactly.
  • neanderthin
    Options

So much common sense but still you are allowed to inflict Celine Dion on the world ... How can this be? ;)
    Never said we were perfect. :happy: And she may be a hound but don't you be kicking our dog around.:smile:
  • maryjay52
    maryjay52 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    egg whites carries the protein. I buy eggland eggs and cartons of egg whites .often i will have one eggland egg with two servings of egg whites , scrambled with veggies in it ..sometimes cheese
  • links_slayer
    links_slayer Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    eggs are so good.

lewis black has a great (albeit short) rant about them in one of his bits. hilarious.
  • neanderthin
    Options
    egg whites carries the protein. I buy eggland eggs and cartons of egg whites .often i will have one eggland egg with two servings of egg whites , scrambled with veggies in it ..sometimes cheese
    The whites carry just over half the protein, and the yolk is where all the win is.
  • FitBeto
    FitBeto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options
    I eat like 5 eggs every morning - 2 whole 3 whites plus 4 pieces turkey bacon with some cheese or some steak and a tortilla.
  • TheKeithEllis
    TheKeithEllis Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    i usually have 3 eggs in an omelette.... it doesn tseem to have done me any harm!

Same here, so much good in eggs, just make sure it's logged as everything else. Life without a fried egg sandwich is a life not worth living. :O)
  • Xhell_on_heelsX
    Options
    I eat the whole egg..was usually eating eggs for lunch and now might start eating them in them in the morning. I feel it's probably better to eat protein than anything else like cereal or toast.
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    I was under the impression that eggs are good for cholesterol. You have 'good' cholesterol and 'bad' cholesterol, and eggs raise your cholesterol yes, but they raise the good stuff and not the bad stuff. That's what I've been told at least :)

Eggs raise both good and bad cholesterol, but having more good helps to reduce the bad. Eggs had a bum rap for a long time, but they're a perfect little food. :)
  • msbunnie68
    msbunnie68 Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    "How do you like your eggs in the morning?"
    I like mine whole, poached and on toast or as an omelette.

The yolk has always been my favourite part of the egg - reminds me of my childhood when I would dip 'toasted soldiers' in boiled eggs and see the yolk spill out onto the plate mmmmmm tasty:tongue:

UNFERTILIZED thanks.
  • neanderthin
    Options
    I was under the impression that eggs are good for cholesterol. You have 'good' cholesterol and 'bad' cholesterol, and eggs raise your cholesterol yes, but they raise the good stuff and not the bad stuff. That's what I've been told at least :)

Eggs raise both good and bad cholesterol, but having more good helps to reduce the bad. Eggs had a bum rap for a long time, but they're a perfect little food. :)
    The jury is still out whether eggs raise bad cholesterol and the term bad is not a scientific term it was coined for simplistic reasons.
  • lisadlocks
    lisadlocks Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Cut and Paste:

I don't think conclusions about cholesterol should be drawn from some select studies (particularly if they are not relevant to everyone. Most people are not on low-carb diets). I am a health researcher and I tend to only trust meta-analyses, which are studies that synthesize the data from all relevant studies on a topic. This meta-analysis combined data from 17 studies and shows that eggs do raise total cholesterol: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11333841.
    One criticism of that meta-analysis is that it had stringent criteria for selecting studies to aggregate, therefore it did not include all published studies on the topic. However, it does make me skeptical about the claim that eggs have no effect on cholesterol (or a positive effect on HDL).
  • icmuse
    icmuse Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Whole eggs for me and plenty of them.

Dietary cholesterol does not affect blood serum cholesterol and 'high' cholesterol isn't a problem anyway.

One less thing to worry about, bonus :)

EXACTLY!

The myth of eggs increasing your cholesterol has been debunked! Just make sure your eggs are organic, from humanely treated chickens. Their nutritional value is far superior than conventional mass farm produced eggs.

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2011/09/02/why-does-this-commonly-vilified-food-actually-prevent-heart-disease-and-cancer.aspx

I personally eat eggs all the time (2 every day), my HDL is high and my LDL is super low and always had been.

It is a perfect protein source, why skip it?
  • Mandybean88
    Options
    I have only ever eaten whole eggs... the yolk is the best bit for me! I love them boiled... but they must be done perfectly so the yolk is dippy but the white is hard. Sloppy egg white is the worst D: I don't really like fried egg (the yolk is nice but I don't like the fried white part) Duck eggs are my favourite but I read that you shouldn't eat them too often.
    I love poached egg, and omelette. Scrambled is nice with brown sauce and pepper. I also used to like having scrambled egg with cheese and sweet chilli sauce when I was a student :)
    Dippy egg with soldiers! A sprinkle of salt and pepper on top. The best thing ever! :D