Thoughts on Omelettes

Options

Replies

• FullOfWin
    FullOfWin Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    bacon, sausage, cheese, and butter all make you die. truthy story.
  • calibriintx
    calibriintx Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    wha! ha, that's funny. what are they suggesting to eat instead? As long as its not loaded with cheese,butter, etc... youre fine. I eat eggs all the time.

Just stop it! Cheese and butter are fine.

^^This! Why would you make an omelet without cheese??? Unless you don't like cheese or it makes you poop a lot or something.
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    Uh, I eat multiple whole eggs daily, "real" butter, bacon, sausage, etc. and am quite healthy! Eat ALL the eggs in those omelettes, the most nutritional part of the egg is the yolk. And yes, healthy fats are your friend! I'm sure your co-workers mean well, but they're wrong.
  • KalaMakaKoa
    KalaMakaKoa Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I have 2 egg yolks a week, the rest of the time when I have eggs it's just the whites. When I do have the yolks I add a white or two to make up for what is lost by taking out the yolk. Enjoy your eggs!
  • 1shauna1
    1shauna1 Posts: 993 Member
    Options
    An omelet could be unhealthy; depends what you put in it! Some low fat cheese, lots of veggies, even lean ham is perfect! Yum! They're great because you get lots of protein and it'll keep you full, reducing your urge to snack!
  • bpmartyr
    bpmartyr Posts: 141
    Options
    I think lowfat diets hinder reading comprehension. (based on a study done on mice)
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options
    Yes, keep eating your omelettes, and add another 800 calorie meal or two to your day, please.
  • losinglbslovinglife
    Options
    love em with peppers, mushroom, onion, etc in em.

keep at it. :)
  • meredith1123
    meredith1123 Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    Omelettes are great! I use 3 egg whites, one yolk but that's just me. Using 3 yolks wont hurt you too badly, it just depends on your meals and how you set it up and balance your day is all. Go for the yolk, its yummy anyway!
    Also i'd skip the butter and use a half tbsp of olive oil or you can use cooking sprays or spray butter (with zero cal) to cook it in.
    Low fat cheeses or Feta maybe, mushrooms, spinach, tomatoes, sauteed bell peppers and onions, turkey bacon or regular bacon ...... ahhhhh the sky is the limit!
    Heck thanks for the idea, i'm going to make one for my lunch!
  • cleanjerksnatch
    Options
    Stop avoiding fat. Don't focus on too much of the low fat, low carb, low cal etc etc.

I'll give you something that you will confuse you.

Healthy fat helps you lose unhealthy fat.
  • poedunk65
    poedunk65 Posts: 1,336 Member
    Options
    it's not the omlette it's whats in it.

No cheese, and only veggies!
  • 4_Lisa
    4_Lisa Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    I don't know that I would have one EVERY morning, but we actually eat omelets as supper 2x a week after being at the gym. Add in some veggies and a little low fat cheese, quick and easy filling food.
  • stonel94
    stonel94 Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    Uhm, it depends, how many eggs are you using, if you're using like a bunch of whole eggs that's a lot of cholestoral if you are using egg whites, or like 1 egg and the rest egg whites thats very healthy. If you are putting bacon, and sausage, and potato in it, that might not be the healthiest thing (but if it's low sodium and turkey then it really wouldn't be bad at all). If you're putting lots of veggies in it, that's fine.
    If you are having a big omelete made with like 3 or 4 whole eggs and lots of sodium filled processed meat and tons of cheese that's not very healthy, butttt if you don't really eat meat otherwise in the day, then as long as it's balanced it's still okay (but watch cholestoral)
    If you are having an omeltte with just 1 or 2 eggs, or egg whites, and a little cheese, maybe 1 slice of bacon or 1 sausage cut up, and lots of veggies, then that's very healthy. I have egg white veggie and cheese omlettes all the time (usually for lunch though) and it's perfectly fine.
    A lot of people think a healthy breakfast needs to be tiny and just like non fat yogurt with berries or something. But some people have their biggest meal at breakfast, as long as it's balanced with what else you're eating in the day it's fine. I would just say with whole eggs watch cholestoral over a long period of time that could get you issues
  • stonel94
    stonel94 Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    I don't know that I would have one EVERY morning, but we actually eat omeletts as supper 2x a week after being at the gym. Add in some veggies and a little low fat cheese, quick and easy filling food.

Lots of veggies yes, but use regular full fat cheese, just not too much of it. genetically and chemically altered food to take fat out is not that healthy. and doesn't taste as good, so just use a little sprinkle of regular cheese to add great flavor and healthy fats and stuff not loads of no-nutritional value low fat cheese
  • fit4lifeUcan2
    fit4lifeUcan2 Posts: 1,458 Member
    Options
    If one more person says egg whites are healthier than whole eggs I am tracking your IP, driving/flying to your house and smackin you lol. There is very LITTLE nutrition in the white. All the b vitamins are in the yolk as well as the healthy fats. If you are eating whites only to get to desired protein level and still stay within caloric range and/or fat/prot/carb ratio then fine, eat them. Just stop saying nonsense about them being somehow healthier not that you have trown away the part with all the nutrition. End rant

Ditto.

Plus the yolk is where the flavor is.

Oh i love the yolks but have medical issues which is why I don't eat the yokes. Sometimes I'll have 1 whole egg and 2 egg whites but most of the time I don't eat the yokes. My cholesterol has gone way down by following my doctors advice and nutritionist. So I stick with what works for me and go by what my dr and nutritionist advise me to do. No butter for me or bacon or sausage. And its shown great results in my blood work. I cook with all natural spray pam because it keeps me from over doing it on the oils. Plus my food comes out of the pan much easier. :wink: Believe me I would love to use butter when I cook but I can't. Would love to have bacon, salami, whole milk etc etc. With my family history of high cholesterol and strokes and heart disease I watch all those things.
  • 4_Lisa
    4_Lisa Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    I don't know that I would have one EVERY morning, but we actually eat omeletts as supper 2x a week after being at the gym. Add in some veggies and a little low fat cheese, quick and easy filling food.

Lots of veggies yes, but use regular full fat cheese, just not too much of it. genetically and chemically altered food to take fat out is not that healthy. and doesn't taste as good, so just use a little sprinkle of regular cheese to add great flavor and healthy fats and stuff not loads of no-nutritional value low fat cheese

I should clarify, not low fat cheese as in reduced fat cheese, but the fuller fat cheeses with lower fat content. my fav is goat cheese!
  • MakingAChoice
    MakingAChoice Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Guys

I have been eating an omelette for breakfast this passed week, people at work are saying its totally unhealthy.

Any thoughts on this? And what other things are there out there good for breakfast?

All that should tell you is the people at your work have no clue how to eat right. Omlettes are a great meal. Personally I tend to use just 1 whole egg and the rest egg whites (helps keep the calories down), light on the cheese and load it up with veggies and lean protein. You are right in that it is very filling.

So just ignore the folks at work, or tell them to get educated. ;-) You are doing this exactly how it should be done. Now I think I will go make myself an omlette for breakfast. :-)
  • MrsBobaFett
    MrsBobaFett Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    Love love love omelettes!! I have 2 eggs, bit of sweetcorn, chopped onion, red pepper, lean ham and some hot sauce, making me hungry thinking about it!!!
  • fit4lifeUcan2
    fit4lifeUcan2 Posts: 1,458 Member
    Options
    Guys

I have been eating an omelette for breakfast this passed week, people at work are saying its totally unhealthy.

Any thoughts on this? And what other things are there out there good for breakfast?

All that should tell you is the people at your work have no clue how to eat right. Omlettes are a great meal. Personally I tend to use just 1 whole egg and the rest egg whites (helps keep the calories down), light on the cheese and load it up with veggies and lean protein. You are right in that it is very filling.

So just ignore the folks at work, or tell them to get educated. ;-) You are doing this exactly how it should be done. Now I think I will go make myself an omlette for breakfast. :-)

hahaha thats what I did lol. I even took a photo of my omelette that I made this morning. Wish I knew how to post it. It was enormous and delicious! Can anyone tell me how to post a photo?
  • ajlon
    ajlon Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    4-6 Egg Whites, Chicken breast, Peppers, Mushrooms, Tomatoes and Jalapenos (if you like a bit of hot)
    and served with spinach / salad leaves. ... I drink a calorie free Vitamin C rich drink with it for better iron absorption (like Berocca)