have big thighs and small calves

Options
Is it weird to have bigger thighs and small calves? My thigh measures 20.5" and my calf is about 12". Looks awkward to me , half of my leg looks strong and the other weak lol. It doesn't bother me but just curious. Maybe because I do lots of squats .

Replies

• brtrentgl
    brtrentgl Posts: 130
    Options
    20.5" is big thighs.
  • sbailey27
    Options
    20.5" is big thighs.
    well maybe more average than big lol
  • brtrentgl
    brtrentgl Posts: 130
    Options
    That's not too big of a difference, there is a 7.5" difference in my calf and thigh
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options
    If you don't like it, then work your calves. It's just a matter of balancing your workouts.
  • FitBeto
    FitBeto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options
    Nah man do heavy high rep calf work and build those suckers up. You don't build skyscrapers with pencils
  • ashlinmarie
    ashlinmarie Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    I have big thighs and small calves too. My thighs are quite a bit bigger...I think either 25" or 27" (I have it written down in the other room but hubby is sleeping). My calves are the same size as yours. Yeah....I've always had chicken legs as I call them. Plus, I have very long and narrow feet so it looks awkward.
  • ashlinmarie
    ashlinmarie Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    Oh jeez, and you're a guy....you can at least hide it with pants or whatever. Bikinis, skinny jeans, shorts...not conducive to hiding it on a woman :(
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    If you don't like it, then work your calves. It's just a matter of balancing your workouts.

you need to eat a lot of calories and protein too. you can work your thighs as much as you want but to build a significant amount of muscle you need a calorie surplus and enough protein.

Getting heavy enough weights for calf exercises is challenging. I'm trying to increase my calves, and I can do calf raises while fireman carrying my husband, more than 12 reps in fact which means I'll have to use a heavier weight than that. That's a lot more weight than my barbell with all the weights on (yes I'm going to buy more at some point but i'm broke right now). I suppose I could try doing calf raises with my husband plus a bag of rocks on my back maybe.

Calves can be incredibly strong, which is why it can be really difficult to build them up.

If anyone has any better advice though, I'd be glad to hear it as I'd love to add an inch or two to my calves.
  • BrainsOnGains
    BrainsOnGains Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Calves are one of the hardest (stubborn) muscle groups to gain size. To put this into perspective for the first few years of Arnold Schwarzeneggers career he would only pose while standing in water up to his knees. This was to hide his underdeveloped calves.

Tip:
    Abs and calves are the two muscle groups you can work out everyday with no rest days, since you use them so much.
  • thingal12
    thingal12 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I have the biggest/largest calves in the world!!!!! lol.. it's totally genetic, too. Both parents have big calves. Even when I was 120 I had large muscular calves. I can't wear boots that are long b/c of this.. it's impossible to find one that fits!

edit: you can bet I was good at soccer growing up,lol
  • BrainsOnGains
    Options
    I have the biggest/largest calves in the world!!!!! lol.. it's totally genetic, too. Both parents have big calves. Even when I was 120 I had large muscular calves. I can't wear boots that are long b/c of this.. it's impossible to find one that fits!

pictures or it didnt happen.
  • harvo
    harvo Posts: 4,676 Member
    Options
    SMH, just measured my calves and they are 20 inches around unflexed....
  • thingal12
    thingal12 Posts: 302 Member
    Options

pictures or it didnt happen.

hmm, I never liked it so I dont think I have a pic of it. Let me ck..
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options

you need to eat a lot of calories and protein too. you can work your thighs as much as you want but to build a significant amount of muscle you need a calorie surplus and enough protein.

Getting heavy enough weights for calf exercises is challenging. I'm trying to increase my calves, and I can do calf raises while fireman carrying my husband, more than 12 reps in fact which means I'll have to use a heavier weight than that. That's a lot more weight than my barbell with all the weights on (yes I'm going to buy more at some point but i'm broke right now). I suppose I could try doing calf raises with my husband plus a bag of rocks on my back maybe.

Calves can be incredibly strong, which is why it can be really difficult to build them up.

If anyone has any better advice though, I'd be glad to hear it as I'd love to add an inch or two to my calves.

Don't be afraid of very high reps. I love heavy weights and low reps for everything else, but my calves respond well to to the 15-25 rep range and burn outs. I use the leg press for these and I do it at least twice a week.
  • BrainsOnGains
    Options

Don't be afraid of very high reps. I love heavy weights and low reps for everything else, but my calves respond well to to the 15-25 rep range and burn outs. I use the leg press for these and I do it at least twice a week.

Eggsactly (ha). Seriously my calves dont feel anything until beyond 20 reps, with heavy weight.
  • toomuchbootyindapants
    Options
    A lot of it is genetic, unfortunately. I have big thighs (23-23.5") with pronounced quads....BUT...my calves are itsy bitsy in comparison (I think they are measuring at 14.5" right now).

Here's a pic... - if it comes up - (these are a couple months' difference as I was trying to build a bit more muscle while eating at maintenance since I still have a lot of fat on my body though they look the same, boo). Actually I think it's more noticeable when I have on my workout pants but whatevs:
    legsba.jpg
  • neandermagnon
    Options

what's burn outs? do you mean going to failure or something else?

will try that though. I don't have a leg press but maybe 15-25 reps while carrying my husband would do it :)
  • neandermagnon
    Options
    Calves are one of the hardest (stubborn) muscle groups to gain size. To put this into perspective for the first few years of Arnold Schwarzeneggers career he would only pose while standing in water up to his knees. This was to hide his underdeveloped calves.

Tip:
    Abs and calves are the two muscle groups you can work out everyday with no rest days, since you use them so much.

I read that about Arnie too. And thanks for the tip will bear that in mind!
  • darkguardian419
    darkguardian419 Posts: 1,302 Member
    Options
    I have 30" thighs and 16" calves... I have no issues with my legs.
  • Bronx_Montgomery
    Bronx_Montgomery Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    Same issue.....my Tree truck is bigger than the branches....But who cares....Am I right?

brittanynailedit.gif

tumblr_m2cpq1vecn1rttrtuo1_400.gif