have big thighs and small calves

Options

Replies

• tj1376
    tj1376 Posts: 1,402 Member
    Options
    I have 32 in thighs and only 19 in calves. I will not wear skirts because it looks so disproportionate. But I also realize I'm one of those women that hold most of their weight in their thighs and backside. It will be one of the last places I lose weight (sigh) but I know that eventually it will come off.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    Is it weird to have bigger thighs and small calves? My thigh measures 20.5" and my calf is about 12". Looks awkward to me , half of my leg looks strong and the other weak lol. It doesn't bother me but just curious. Maybe because I do lots of squats .

Is your pic really old or something? Not saying that I doubt you but your thighs don't look 20.5". Even if they are....that's not big. It doesn't look like you do a lot of squats. Frankly if you didn't say it I would ask if you even lift. Just looking at it I don't see the part that looks "strong". Looks pretty balanced to me.
  • Bronx_Montgomery
    Bronx_Montgomery Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    legsba.jpg

tumblr_luemyaz3YN1qespodo1_500.jpg

wolf-whistle-o.gif
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options
    If you don't like it, then work your calves. It's just a matter of balancing your workouts.

you need to eat a lot of calories and protein too. you can work your thighs as much as you want but to build a significant amount of muscle you need a calorie surplus and enough protein.

Getting heavy enough weights for calf exercises is challenging. I'm trying to increase my calves, and I can do calf raises while fireman carrying my husband, more than 12 reps in fact which means I'll have to use a heavier weight than that. That's a lot more weight than my barbell with all the weights on (yes I'm going to buy more at some point but i'm broke right now). I suppose I could try doing calf raises with my husband plus a bag of rocks on my back maybe.

Calves can be incredibly strong, which is why it can be really difficult to build them up.

If anyone has any better advice though, I'd be glad to hear it as I'd love to add an inch or two to my calves.

Don't be afraid of very high reps. I love heavy weights and low reps for everything else, but my calves respond well to to the 15-25 rep range and burn outs. I use the leg press for these and I do it at least twice a week.

what's burn outs? do you mean going to failure or something else?

will try that though. I don't have a leg press but maybe 15-25 reps while carrying my husband would do it :)

Drop sets to absolute failure. Calves seem to be able to take more pounding than any other muscle group. I'm not recommending this based on any science or studies but its the one thing that finally got mine to grow. And yea, I eat above TDEE.
  • Jacwhite22
    Options
    If you don't like it, then work your calves. It's just a matter of balancing your workouts.

you need to eat a lot of calories and protein too. you can work your thighs as much as you want but to build a significant amount of muscle you need a calorie surplus and enough protein.

Getting heavy enough weights for calf exercises is challenging. I'm trying to increase my calves, and I can do calf raises while fireman carrying my husband, more than 12 reps in fact which means I'll have to use a heavier weight than that. That's a lot more weight than my barbell with all the weights on (yes I'm going to buy more at some point but i'm broke right now). I suppose I could try doing calf raises with my husband plus a bag of rocks on my back maybe.

Calves can be incredibly strong, which is why it can be really difficult to build them up.

If anyone has any better advice though, I'd be glad to hear it as I'd love to add an inch or two to my calves.

I don't do lifts for my calves. I play soccer. Sprinting and jumping seems to work for mine.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options

Don't be afraid of very high reps. I love heavy weights and low reps for everything else, but my calves respond well to to the 15-25 rep range and burn outs. I use the leg press for these and I do it at least twice a week.

what's burn outs? do you mean going to failure or something else?

will try that though. I don't have a leg press but maybe 15-25 reps while carrying my husband would do it :)

Drop sets to absolute failure. Calves seem to be able to take more pounding than any other muscle group. I'm not recommending this based on any science or studies but its the one thing that finally got mine to grow. And yea, I eat above TDEE.

Thank you :) Will definitely try that :)
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    20.5" is big thighs.

So my 20" thighs are big now, when they were "too skinny" in another thread. Man, it's hard to keep track of what other people consider my body measurements ;)

OP, good luck listening to some of the good advice you've gotten on here... LEARN TO LOVE YOURSELF.
  • capnrus789
    capnrus789 Posts: 2,736 Member
    Options
    legsba.jpg

tumblr_luemyaz3YN1qespodo1_500.jpg

wolf-whistle-o.gif

+1
  • Jacwhite22
    Options
    20.5" is big thighs.

So my 20" thighs are big now, when they were "too skinny" in another thread. Man, it's hard to keep track of what other people consider my body measurements ;)

OP, good luck listening to some of the good advice you've gotten on here... LEARN TO LOVE YOURSELF.

^^ This......I love myself several times a week and always feel better after.
  • sbailey27
    Options
    Is it weird to have bigger thighs and small calves? My thigh measures 20.5" and my calf is about 12". Looks awkward to me , half of my leg looks strong and the other weak lol. It doesn't bother me but just curious. Maybe because I do lots of squats .

Is your pic really old or something? Not saying that I doubt you but your thighs don't look 20.5". Even if they are....that's not big. It doesn't look like you do a lot of squats. Frankly if you didn't say it I would ask if you even lift. Just looking at it I don't see the part that looks "strong". Looks pretty balanced to me.
    its a recent pic. I just measured standing up and they are an inch smaller. I just got back into working out again but I used to do a lot of squats. Lol
  • brtrentgl
    Options
    A lot of it is genetic, unfortunately. I have big thighs (23-23.5") with pronounced quads....BUT...my calves are itsy bitsy in comparison (I think they are measuring at 14.5" right now).

Here's a pic... - if it comes up - (these are a couple months' difference as I was trying to build a bit more muscle while eating at maintenance since I still have a lot of fat on my body though they look the same, boo). Actually I think it's more noticeable when I have on my workout pants but whatevs:
    legsba.jpg
    great job girl,
  • sbailey27
    Options
    20.5" is big thighs.

I know right, thanks
  • brtrentgl
    Options
    20.5" is big thighs.

I know right, thanks
    20" thighs are really small
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options
    20.5" is big thighs.

I know right, thanks

You started the thread by criticizing your own body. If I'm correct, you've posted something similar before. If you care that much then do something about it. If not, then yes, just learn to accept the way you are. Either one is the "right" choice, but no one here can make that choice for you.
  • brtrentgl
    Options
    A lot of it is genetic, unfortunately. I have big thighs (23-23.5") with pronounced quads....BUT...my calves are itsy bitsy in comparison (I think they are measuring at 14.5" right now).

Here's a pic... - if it comes up - (these are a couple months' difference as I was trying to build a bit more muscle while eating at maintenance since I still have a lot of fat on my body though they look the same, boo). Actually I think it's more noticeable when I have on my workout pants but whatevs:
    legsba.jpg
    great job girl,
    if you want bigger calves I will trade you lol
  • TrishLG
    TrishLG Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    High heels develop the calves.
    At least you have ankles.
  • brtrentgl
    Options

legsba.jpg
    great job girl,
    that's exactly what I want my legs too look like
  • toomuchbootyindapants
    Options
    Thank you. *blush* There's still some jiggle when I walk but they are tightening up slooooowly. It's funny how we always want what we don't have. Here I've always thought big calves were beautiful. I remember being jelly of a friend in elementary who had calves just like yours, brtrentgl, and thinking she was soooo much stronger than me because her calves were gorgeous and round and looked amazing in skirts. I was thinking this in SIXTH FREAKIN' GRADE!!! It wasn't until more or less recently that I learned how much genetics comes into play with calf shape. We just gotta love what we've been given and do our best to keep it healthy! :D
  • brtrentgl
    Options
    Thank you. *blush* There's still some jiggle when I walk but they are tightening up slooooowly. It's funny how we always want what we don't have. Here I've always thought big calves were beautiful. I remember being jelly of a friend in elementary who had calves just like yours, brtrentgl, and thinking she was soooo much stronger than me because her calves were gorgeous and round and looked amazing in skirts. I was thinking this in SIXTH FREAKIN' GRADE!!! It wasn't until more or less recently that I learned how much genetics comes into play with calf shape. We just gotta love what we've been given and do our best to keep it healthy! :D
    that's so true, most of the time I love my legs except when buying jeans. Calves never fit
  • arobles28
    Options
    Just the opposite here, 20.5" calves and 19.25" thighs