8 hour diet....

Options

Replies

• AbsoluteNG
    AbsoluteNG Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options
    I can expand on this and provide a peer review journal citation about how fasting INCREASES metabolic rate. Source: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2405717

That paper looked at 48 hour starvation, in normal weight individuals and it only included 11 subjects. The metabolic increase was only 3.6% ( that’s less than 70 kcals for your average bmr). Not nearly enough to say that a 16 hour fast will likely result in a significant or sustainable metabolic increase.

Overall calorie consumption matters most but not eating for an extended time period allows the body to target and burn fat instead of carbs. The two buff guys in the link below practice the 8 hour diet. They use to eat 5 meals a day but couldn't cut anymore body fat so tried out IF and managed to cut more that way.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzfsaXsV-T4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-_kV53wtBM

• vickytonmawr
    Options
    Well I'm lovin the 8 hour diet, I started it Sunday and when I hopped on the scales this morning I'm down 3lbs all ready, and iv eaten all the same food I woud normally eat, had chocolate and ice cream! Its great x
  • kimpossible5
    Options
    I did this for a little over a month and didn't lose a thing... HOWEVER, I noticed I felt better and maybe had a small loss when my eating window was 11am-7pm but NOT when it was 1-9pm. I think it might be less about the actual timing (although I know my body responds best to not eating 3 hours before bedtime) and more about the fact that I just don't make great food choices between 7-9pm. I also didn't cut back my calories. I just ate "reasonable" with no tracking.

I have been considering tackling this again in combination with my 1450 calories/day limit because I am still stalled at no weight loss. My upper body is slightly more toned, but the scale hates me and my clothes don't fit any better. I'm working out 30-45 min/day 5x week.

Another thing I have noticed that my body responds to is increasing my water intake. Keeping that up on the weekends is tough, but I am trying to make it a priority.

I only have 10lbs to lose and being an emotional/boredom eater is keeping me from reaching (approaching) my goal.
  • vickytonmawr
    Options
    Wooo weughed again this morning and iv lost 5lbs since Sunday! Cant belive it was this easy all along! Big smiles! X
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    This is why I love mfp because everyone is an expert and everyone right. It reminds me of politics
  • Minerva624
    Minerva624 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    I do this without even trying'; ONLY because I have a messed up sleep schedule and I wake up at around 2 pm and stop eating around 10pm. It keeps my weight in management and if I exercise regularly, I lose weight quickly. I wake up feeling refreshed and such. I'm not a fan of eating loads of food around the clock.
  • mperrott2205
    mperrott2205 Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    This is called Intermittent Fasting, there are twins on YouTube called the Hodge Twins who have been praising and giving advice on Weight Loss, Body Building and Intermittent Fasting for a couple of years now.

www.youtube.com/fastingtwins

Not to mention they're hilarious too.

Been doing it for 3 weeks, Start eating at 12, don't eat anything after 7.30-8. I then work out 6 times a week @ 5.30am doing weight lifting and 15 minutes of HIIT cardio. Look down for the results.
  • IMD918
    IMD918 Posts: 49
    Options
    lol, this is intermittent fasting. It is NOT a diet. Changing what you eat and how many calories you take is dieting, and that is separate from this. It only relates to WHEN you take in calories. Sorry, the term makes me mad because it came from the book. The book was just a way to make money off of a successful idea that some people already knew about, and slap a new name on it to make it sound more appealing. Please stop calling it "the 8 hour diet". It is IF. And the eating windows can vary. When I'm cutting, I prefer a 4-hour eating window, and when I'm bulking I prefer an 8-hour eating window. Shorter eating windows tend to see more weight loss. This is all based on my experience and experience of others that I know that use IF every day.

I was already eating at a caloric deficit and had been losing weight for about a month, but my losses had slowed further and further until they just outright plateaued (my progress reports show this). Then I jumped on intermittent fasting and immediately lost a few more pounds and haven't really slow down since then. I'm still at a caloric deficit, and still losing 1-2 pounds a week. However, even if I felt that IF wasn't actually helping me do this, I'd still enjoy it because it has done wonders for my self control. My life is no longer controlled by food, and when my next meal will be. I have no difficulty in turning down a meal or a snack. I can look at a delicious plate of food after not eating for 18 hours, and it doesn't bother me in the slightest that I have 2 more hours before I break my fast. The control is the best part, in my opinion.
  • mperrott2205
    mperrott2205 Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    lol, this is intermittent fasting. It is NOT a diet. Changing what you eat and how many calories you take is dieting, and that is separate from this. It only relates to WHEN you take in calories. Sorry, the term makes me mad because it came from the book. The book was just a way to make money off of a successful idea that some people already knew about, and slap a new name on it to make it sound more appealing. Please stop calling it "the 8 hour diet". It is IF. And the eating windows can vary. When I'm cutting, I prefer a 4-hour eating window, and when I'm bulking I prefer an 8-hour eating window. Shorter eating windows tend to see more weight loss. This is all based on my experience and experience of others that I know that use IF every day.

I was already eating at a caloric deficit and had been losing weight for about a month, but my losses had slowed further and further until they just outright plateaued (my progress reports show this). Then I jumped on intermittent fasting and immediately lost a few more pounds and haven't really slow down since then. I'm still at a caloric deficit, and still losing 1-2 pounds a week. However, even if I felt that IF wasn't actually helping me do this, I'd still enjoy it because it has done wonders for my self control. My life is no longer controlled by food, and when my next meal will be. I have no difficulty in turning down a meal or a snack. I can look at a delicious plate of food after not eating for 18 hours, and it doesn't bother me in the slightest that I have 2 more hours before I break my fast. The control is the best part, in my opinion.

This, this, this, this with all of my this.
  • momzeeee
    momzeeee Posts: 475 Member
    Options

This. I've read the book and the author just threw a dieting title on 8/16IF and then regurgitates the info that's already out there. If you're interested in IF you can get all the info for free, on sites like Mark's Daily Apple or leangains.
  • ellesse123
    ellesse123 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I've been following this 16hour fasting for 7 days now and after the first 5 days I lost 3lbs which is the most I've lost in ages. I eat from 11.30am to 7.30pm and haven't changed anything about my diet although I do eat very heathy and drink plenty of water and haven't eaten anything badly other than the odd treat and I do exercise atleast 5 days per week including a mixture of gym cardio/strength training. I'm going to continue it for the next few weeks as it easy to follow and I just alarms on my iPhone to remind me when to eat and stop eating.
  • VeinsAndBones
    VeinsAndBones Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    Why oh why? Nope not even gonna comment,

default.png
  • loops_laura
    Options
    I started this diet last week and did three days, the paper I read about it in said three days was the minimum, is that correct? I didn't loose anything last week and plan to do four days this week but taking it up to five days wont be a problem. I start my days with a coffee with a dash of milk and sprinkle of sweetner as the newspaper said that this was ok, but it sounds like I shouldn't be doing this? Would cutting this 7am coffee out help? I tend to have my eight hour windown between 12-8. Eating the same healthy foods as I was when trying to loose weight before and still going to the gym, just a bit dissapointed I've not lost 1lb!
  • rosemaryhon
    rosemaryhon Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    ... People need to keep their comments to themselves- ...

Well, this IS a community message board, so I don't think this ^^ is a fair complaint.
  • dianawaby
    Options
    im going to do 2=10 as i eat more at night time :)
  • irdygirdy
    irdygirdy Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Yes a community board but when someone starts a posting and does mot ask for peoples know-it-all opinions why do we have to read them, especially if they have NO experience im the topic of convo. Ridiculousness. NO one here knows the absolute about whether fasting or eating during specific times is accurate ir NOT. So if youve tTRIED it, and its worked it not, then POSt results. Not ur stinkin hypothisis.

I am doing this now and it is working for me, whether it be the fasting perood, the less calories, the water loss, the control its given to me... I really dont care, its working. I dont need you telling me why its only working because of this or that. Do u know how annoying u people who do that are??? Jeez. Positivity is half the battle!
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Yes a community board but when someone starts a posting and does mot ask for peoples know-it-all opinions why do we have to read them, especially if they have NO experience im the topic of convo. Ridiculousness. NO one here knows the absolute about whether fasting or eating during specific times is accurate ir NOT. So if youve tTRIED it, and its worked it not, then POSt results. Not ur stinkin hypothisis.

I am doing this now and it is working for me, whether it be the fasting perood, the less calories, the water loss, the control its given to me... I really dont care, its working. I dont need you telling me why its only working because of this or that. Do u know how annoying u people who do that are??? Jeez. Positivity is half the battle!

Congrats on your first post being an angry rant on a thread that hasn't been posted in for 6 months and is a year old. 95% of the people you yelled at haven't been here for a year and now you just look like an angry person.
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
  • DeadliftAddict
    DeadliftAddict Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    From my own experience doing 20/4 intermittent fasting (fast for 20 hours, eat for 4 hours) and lifting, I can tell you that it's possible to gain muscle while losing fat this way. I've gained 1/2" on my arms (and they're noticeably more defined) while losing weight.
    Maybe a little bit of newbie gain, but the size difference is more than likely due to water/glycogen storage. It is VERY difficult go gain muscle on a calorie deficit even if your nutrition, workouts, and rest were spot on. And even more challenging as a female.
    Loss of fat shows definition, so many think that they are putting on muscle when that's not the case.

But I personally do a form of IF and have for years.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

This would be correct.
  • DeadliftAddict
    DeadliftAddict Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    Like someone else said, intermittent fasting isn't a diet. It is just a eating schedule or protocol. You can fit any diet you prefer into it. I think it was Men's Health who put this book out and called it The 8 Hour Diet to make it fancy and make money. You don't need to buy that book to find out all about something that has been around for years. It has picked up steam in the past couple of years and works if eating in this manner works for you. I have been doing it for about a year now. It IS still about the calories ultimately. This is just a convenient way for some to get their deficit. Especially if you don't prefer to eat breakfast, or like to snack later in the day and want to have calories for later. It's also good if you don't have the time in the morning to prepare breakfast. It has some other benefits as well. It also has some so called benefits that I don't know if it's been proven or just horse crap like longer life span. I highly doubt that part. Give it a try or not. You can do whatever the F@%k you want to do! Good post OP.