8 hour diet....

Options
Okay let me start by saying, there is no need to buy the book.

When I first heard about this "intermittent fasting" I thought it was ridiculous. I actually said to myself, if it was that easy EVERYONE would be skinny.

I read the details which basically say:
- Your body is set up to fast and burn away the fat, but because people eat so much around the clock- the body cannot do that.
- You can eat whatever you want in the 8 hour time frame (I still watch what I eat).
- You ONLY consume calories in an 8 hour window (including drinks).
- You only have to follow this for 5 days a week to get results..

I decided to try it. I started two weeks ago today. I would not drink my coffee, or even my water mix ins or have anything to eat until 10:00 a.m. (so I could eat dinner at 5:30 p.m. and still give myself a little time before the cut off of 6:00 to be done eating).

In the morning I will drink a Pepsi Max for caffeine since it has 0 calories.

I would then make sure I eat in the 8 hour window ONLY. After 6:00 (the end of my window) no calories by way of food or drink is consumed.

I will admit I have been very bad about exercising the last 2 weeks as well. The reason is, I hurt my back and am limited to light waking (about 5,000 steps a day- so very low).

In 2 weeks i have managed to drop 12 pounds. I did watch what I ate and tried not to eat total crap but for me, this 8 hour diet is really working.

I feel stupid that it was THIS easy all along. On the weekends I don't follow it and still am doing okay. The first few days are really hard in the morning I was starving and I wanted to sit at snack while watching nighttime TV- but it was nice to be able to grab a slice of pizza or a burger and know I wasn't totally throwing my diet off track. I can't wait to see how much I am down by the end of the month- or when I start back to my normal work outs.

Just wanted to give my review on it in case anyone was wondering. :)

Replies

• hmc4
    hmc4 Posts: 27
    Options
    I have been trying the 8 hour thing for 1 week.. I am up 1 pound. Calorie consumption has been the same, or less, and I have done the 8 minutes of exercise as suggested every morning. I have also maintained my regular activity level.

Really disappointed at this juncture. My only thought is MAYBE its a sodium thing since I had sushi yesterday. Will try to stick with it for another week and see where I end up.
  • sd75
    sd75 Posts: 49
    Options
    Bump ..... this sounds interesting - esp sine i have considered/attempted the two day fasting versions as well ....
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Calories in/calories out. You're most likely more conscious of your food intake because you've set time limits on it. Your body doesn't care when you eat and doesn't treat fuel differently because you restrict the times you eat.
  • Poods71
    Poods71 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    Calories in/calories out. You're most likely more conscious of your food intake because you've set time limits on it. Your body doesn't care when you eat and doesn't treat fuel differently because you restrict the times you eat.

Totally agree with this. I did the Alternate Day Diet and I know that I lost weight because I was eating less calories and not because of the times I was eating.
  • casalinot
    casalinot Posts: 2 Member
    Options

In fact by eating only in an 8 hour window will slow your metabolism down and reverse the "burn" effect. You need to continually eat your calorie goal throughout the day, eating small meals or snacks like six times a day not two or three. Just saying results will vary depending on how active you are during the day. The easiest way to lose weight is to take in less calories than you burn.
  • aliciab307
    aliciab307 Posts: 370 Member
    Options

In fact by eating only in an 8 hour window will slow your metabolism down and reverse the "burn" effect. You need to continually eat your calorie goal throughout the day, eating small meals or snacks like six times a day not two or three. Just saying results will vary depending on how active you are during the day. The easiest way to lose weight is to take in less calories than you burn.

Wrong^
  • casalinot
    casalinot Posts: 2 Member
    Options

Wrong^
    then please explain......I never claimed to be an expert.
  • fimary
    fimary Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    bump, would like to know more
  • xxTracey
    xxTracey Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I'm not a breakfast person so don't have eat until around 10am every morning and i always have dinner at 6pm every night, this isnt any sort of diet, its the way i eat so i think that claiming this is a new diet is just so stupit. This is my routine every day & has been for years and it has never made me lose any weight haha! I wish it was true because i'd be a size 6 if it was haha. x
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options

Wrong^

This may help - http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/820577-meal-frequency-rev-up-that-furnace-lol
  • joey2012cs
    Options
    I'm just offering an opinion, so I probably won't be checking back. In fact this is my first post to the forums after 3/4 of a year here.

If anyone has lost 6 pounds in a week, or 12 in two, then it quite certainly is not at all mostly fat. Instead, the body probably sacrificed muscle tissue and water (and keep in mind, water is different than water weight or sodium weight). The body needs water and is composed of water.

If anyone's goal is to simply lose weight and not care about whether they lose muscle or water, then possibly this 8 hour diet will give them success. However, sustainable fat loss that stays off is best accomplished through other means.

When I tried fasting similar to this diet, I got immediate results -- but they did not last. Since switching to a more sustainable method of fat loss, I have consistently lost 1/3 pound per day.

Also as a side note, starting off with a Pepsi Max in the morning..., I did something similar for a while. By drinking it you are giving your body no nutrition, no calories, nor benefit -- just caffeine.
  • Wisemomoffour
    Wisemomoffour Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    If you're interested in this diet I would recommend reading the book--it has a good scientific background. Although the concepts are not new many people have lost weight and gained many other health benefits using it. i hope research into weight loss continues to grow and evolve so I'm willing to be open minded to its worth.

I have been on MFP for a long time. I get down to my last 10-15 pounds and then stall. I've decided to give this a go so I will continue to log my food and exercise as normal, but just eat during an 8 hour period.

This is only my 3rd day and I won't weigh until Friday.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options

Wrong^

This may help - http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/820577-meal-frequency-rev-up-that-furnace-lol
    I can expand on this and provide a peer review journal citation about how fasting INCREASES metabolic rate. Source: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2405717
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    From my own experience doing 20/4 intermittent fasting (fast for 20 hours, eat for 4 hours) and lifting, I can tell you that it's possible to gain muscle while losing fat this way. I've gained 1/2" on my arms (and they're noticeably more defined) while losing weight.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    I'm just glad that I don't have to choose between that or being fat. :)
  • knjantz
    knjantz Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    That is actually not true- your body DOES care when you eat. It is a proven fact. Your body is designed to go into a fast - and most people eat too many hours a day to allow the body to do it's natural fast. I am actually eating worse than I was before on the 6 small meals a day and am losing on average 3 pounds a week.
  • knjantz
    knjantz Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Ya'll don't have to try it- In fact I never asked for anyone's opinions on this. I am telling people MY results and they are amazing. I am down 2 jean sizes and still losing about 2-3 pounds a week while eating normal foods. I have tried every other diet and exercise out there and nothing has given me results like this. You don't like it or don't think it will work, simply don't do it! Anyone who is desperate for something that works, give it a shot- the worst that happens is it doesn't work for you and you quit. honestly, not that big of deal. People need to keep their comments to themselves- and before posting 'facts' you might want to make sure they are actually valid LOL. Most of the things here were so wrong it was laughable. I encourage anyone to read about it, read the real research and not just from the author, from blind studies and make your own opinion for yourself. Do what works for you, not what other people tell you will work for you.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,619 Member
    Options
    Untrue. There is no scientific clinical evidence to back this. This is backed by broscience.

But your last statement is correct.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • chylo1
    chylo1 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    bump
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,619 Member
    Options
    From my own experience doing 20/4 intermittent fasting (fast for 20 hours, eat for 4 hours) and lifting, I can tell you that it's possible to gain muscle while losing fat this way. I've gained 1/2" on my arms (and they're noticeably more defined) while losing weight.
    Maybe a little bit of newbie gain, but the size difference is more than likely due to water/glycogen storage. It is VERY difficult go gain muscle on a calorie deficit even if your nutrition, workouts, and rest were spot on. And even more challenging as a female.
    Loss of fat shows definition, so many think that they are putting on muscle when that's not the case.

But I personally do a form of IF and have for years.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition