"Starvation mode" a myth?

Options
Ok, so I have been reading around these forums, and people are asking other people if they are "eating enough", so their body doesn't go into starvation mode. So I looked up "starvation mode" on google, read some articles and most people are saying that this is a myth, and to lose weight, it's basic calories in, calories out.....So yeah, If anyone has any legitimate articles about this I would be interested to know for sure. I am kind of going with the research on this topic rather than the people in this forum asking other people if they are "eating enough" I am calling their bluff, unless I am proven wrong. :)

Replies

• ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Shhhh, stay low so you dont get hit in the cross fire! Uh oh too late!
  • ShimmyMeli
    Options
    I like legitimate research in this, as I am trying to lose weight as well and I do not want to be misinformed. I can go either way in this topic.... I am just asking for people to point me in the direction of factual information.
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    Read about some of the emotional and mental health effects of the Minnesota Starvation Study. One guy cut some of his own fingers off.

That one will stay with you.

Not eating enough is bad any way you slice it.

Ooops, tell me I didn't just go there?
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    There is so much conflicting information out there that I don't know how anybody ever sorts it out. To complicate matters, what works for one person often won't work for another person, so really - who knows?

I've been on very low calorie diets in the past and lost weight without my body shutting down in any appreciable way, but I gained the weight back just as fast, so I don't want to do that again. That's all I know for sure.
  • 4_Lisa
    4_Lisa Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    Bottom line, make sure you are eating enough GOOD food to fuel your body. Don't eat back your exercise calories (unless you are bulking or maintaining) burn more calories through exercise than you are eating... include strength training (even if it is low weight high reps, muscle burns more calories in the long run) make sure you take in lots of protein to allow your body to recover quickly from lifting....
  • aadutton
    Options
    I like legitimate research in this, as I am trying to lose weight as well and I do not want to be misinformed. I can go either way in this topic.... I am just asking for people to point me in the direction of factual information.

I think the problem is that you can find "factual information" supporting both sides of this debate. Personally I have done what MFP tells me as far as calorie goals, and I usually eat back some but generally not all of my exercise calories. I've lost 42 lbs in about 4.5 months. I'd rather do this and be satisfied than eat less and be hangry (hugry+angry) all the time--even if eating less might make me lose a bit faster. It's about sustainability to me--no way could I sustain a 1000 calorie diet forever.
  • WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options
    it's not a myth, it's just that 95% of people around here and EVERY OTHER weight loss site use the term mistakenly.

starvation mode is what happens when you have a low BF% and deprive yourself for a long period of time of the necessary calories to maintain your body. you're body will start to consume itself to stay alive when you nearly run out of fat reserves and are not eating enough calories.

this is what happened in WWII concentration camps.

starvation mode DOES NOT happen if you fast for 3 days or go to bed without eating dinner. people who think that are so badly misinformed it's scary.

there are studies about the subject.

look up the Minnesota Study done in the 1940's or 1950's with soldier volunteers, IIRC.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    it's not a myth, it's just that 95% of people around here and EVERY OTHER weight loss site use the term mistakenly.

starvation mode is what happens when you have a low BF% and deprive yourself for a long period of time of the necessary calories to maintain your body. you're body will start to consume itself to stay alive when you nearly run out of fat reserves and are not eating enough calories.

this is what happened in WWII concentration camps.

starvation mode DOES NOT happen if you fast for 3 days or go to bed without eating dinner. people who think that are so badly misinformed it's scary.

there are studies about the subject.

look up the Minnesota Study done in the 1940's or 1950's with soldier volunteers, IIRC.
  • KeRAWRi
    KeRAWRi Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    The way i see it, if you eat a balanced diet and eat enough, you will feel better overall. No point in starving yourself and torturing yourself if you don't have to. You can eat enough and lose weight. There are days i don't get in enough calories and i can feel it. I end up hungry and miserable. Not worth it in my opinion.
  • Gin66
    Gin66 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I was kinda surprised about the whole "starvation" thing myself. I think the only merit to this line is that your body need fuel or it will hang on to fat. But that is more about not skipping meals, especially breakfast. (quick tip.....only protein first meal helps curb your appetite all day, carbs fuel hunger) . That being said, common sense say don't eat if you are not hungry. I make good food choices and try to stay around 1100 to 1200 calories a day, and I eats 4 to 5 small meals rather then 3 big ones, and I never eat my exercise points. Well not never, but rarely. I have done many different diets over the years. Hit my goal weight 2 years ago. Lost a total of 105 lbs over 3 years. Weight watchers was first for about 50 lb loss,then south beach which was extreme but doable. Lots of exercise and what works for your body. Me its low carb and no processed sugar. got a divorce new boyfriend and gained back 25lbs. So here I am. Day five 2 lbs gone and ready for my bikini back!!!!
  • PamelaRae88
    Options
    I don't know much about it, but I know that unless you're making lifestyle changes you're only going to bounce up and down with weight. If you starve yourself for a while and then start eating, it can't be good for body. Again, I have no research to back me up, just my experience and my coaches from soccer and basketball. Calories in and calories out is key, but what about all the other stuff that your body needs? Carbs, protein, vitamins? Your body needs more than just calories. That's like if you drink 2000 calories of soda, your body will probably still be in starvation mode. Just something to think about. Let me know if you find out any information.
  • kdb247
    kdb247 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    :laugh:
    Shhhh, stay low so you dont get hit in the cross fire! Uh oh too late!
  • losangels
    losangels Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I've heard its a myth too, but my friend has an ED and she like truley barely ever eats and right now she's freaking out because she's somehow GAINING weight. I think starvation mode is a POSIBILITY for everyone, but in the end, doesnt end up affecting everybody. imo.
  • foleyshirley
    foleyshirley Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    Bottom line, make sure you are eating enough GOOD food to fuel your body. Don't eat back your exercise calories (unless you are bulking or maintaining) burn more calories through exercise than you are eating... include strength training (even if it is low weight high reps, muscle burns more calories in the long run) make sure you take in lots of protein to allow your body to recover quickly from lifting....

This is very bad advice. If you are using the MFP method, you should be eating back all, or at least half, of your exercise calories. That is the way MFP works. Also, you do not want to burn more calories through exercise than you eat. That is crazy. Your body needs fuel for everything you do, including breathing, thinking, digesting, sleeping, etc. Food is not our enemy.
  • emorton05
    Options
    I've been trying to figure this out as well. Every day when I log in my food to myfitnesspal, I get the red warning that I need to eat more calories. It just doesn't feel right to increase my intake when I'm content where I am at. When I talked to my husband about it, we wondered if starvation mode was some kind of a myth because when people get bariatric surgery, it restricts calories and they lose weight...? Looking forward to some well informed responses.
  • kathyms13
    kathyms13 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    its a myth sweet heart realy it is. eat sensibley
  • bpotts44
    bpotts44 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Google the minnesota starvation study. I've read the whole thing. Basically they were on limited diet of about 2200 calories per day and were asked to walk alot during the week 10-15 miles seems about right. Anyway their metabolisms didn't slow down until they were about 5% body fat.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    This is the best write up I've read on the subject:

http://body-improvements.com/resources/eat/#starvationmode

Also, if I have to chose between eating a lot and losing weight, or eating a tiny bit and losing weight, I'm sure as hell going to pick the eating a lot option. I eat over 2000 calories a day.