"Starvation mode" a myth?

Options

Replies

• WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options
    I was kinda surprised about the whole "starvation" thing myself. I think the only merit to this line is that your body need fuel or it will hang on to fat. But that is more about not skipping meals, especially breakfast. (quick tip.....only protein first meal helps curb your appetite all day, carbs fuel hunger) . That being said, common sense say don't eat if you are not hungry. I make good food choices and try to stay around 1100 to 1200 calories a day, and I eats 4 to 5 small meals rather then 3 big ones, and I never eat my exercise points. Well not never, but rarely. I have done many different diets over the years. Hit my goal weight 2 years ago. Lost a total of 105 lbs over 3 years. Weight watchers was first for about 50 lb loss,then south beach which was extreme but doable. Lots of exercise and what works for your body. Me its low carb and no processed sugar. got a divorce new boyfriend and gained back 25lbs. So here I am. Day five 2 lbs gone and ready for my bikini back!!!!

bolded above, not true. if you deprive your body of its calorie needs, it will burn fat to make up the difference. if you do that long enough and with a high enough deficit, it will burn muscle too. it does not hold onto fat. fat is there to be burned exactly for that reason.
  • ShimmyMeli
    Options
    well I am obviously against "true" starvation mode..UNHEALTHY...and very sad as true starvation mode has been in our history. It just seems like people over use the term on here a bit...
  • WinnerVictorious
    Options
    I've been trying to figure this out as well. Every day when I log in my food to myfitnesspal, I get the red warning that I need to eat more calories. It just doesn't feel right to increase my intake when I'm content where I am at. When I talked to my husband about it, we wondered if starvation mode was some kind of a myth because when people get bariatric surgery, it restricts calories and they lose weight...? Looking forward to some well informed responses.

starvation mode does not apply if you are morbidly obese, obese, or normal weight and trying to lose weight. it it's a long term phenomenon for people with low BF% who are severely deprived of their caloric needs.

whatever idiot trainer who first started talking about starvation mode with his/her weight loss clients really deserves a swift kick to the you-know-whats for ever bringing it up and muddying the waters of good weight loss information.
  • ShimmyMeli
    Options
    yeah, THIS makes more sense. thank you! I know I probably won't have to worry about being in this mode for quite a while then lol..
  • ShimmyMeli
    Options
    I've been trying to figure this out as well. Every day when I log in my food to myfitnesspal, I get the red warning that I need to eat more calories. It just doesn't feel right to increase my intake when I'm content where I am at. When I talked to my husband about it, we wondered if starvation mode was some kind of a myth because when people get bariatric surgery, it restricts calories and they lose weight...? Looking forward to some well informed responses.

starvation mode does not apply if you are morbidly obese, obese, or normal weight and trying to lose weight. it it's a long term phenomenon for people with low BF% who are severely deprived of their caloric needs.

whatever idiot trainer who first started talking about starvation mode with his/her weight loss clients really deserves a swift kick to the you-know-whats for ever bringing it up and muddying the waters of good weight loss information.

this is what I meant to quote..still new here..
  • Richie2shoes
    Richie2shoes Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    The NIH has done studies on VLCDs - Very Low Calorie Diets. Typically they are done under medical supervision to ensure that nutritional needs are being met.
  • johned63
    johned63 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I saw this recently and have to say that she made sense in what she said.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=meqvmEf6G04
  • grim_traveller
    grim_traveller Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    Here we go.
  • WinnerVictorious
    Options

now that starvation mode is out of the way, there does seem to be such a thing as metabolic slowdown due to dieting. that's what happens with people who spend years on yo-yo low calorie diets. they aren't depriving themselves to the point where there organs begin to be consumed, but they do deprive themselves enough to slow down their overall metabolism. it's uncertain just how much of a slow down occurs though.

so you don't want to try and live off of 800 calories a day even if you're 100 lbs overweight because after a number of months, you could affect your metabolism. i think part of that will be due to loss of LBM, but part of it also probably just your body adapting to the low calorie intake. once you go back to eating normal, the metabolism stays lower and you then put on weight more quickly. this alone is a good reason to avoid VLCD and yo-yo dieting.

other people have covered the subject in much more detail than i can.

so the executive summary is:

a) starvation mode? no, virtually nobody on MFP would ever have to worry about that.
    b) metabolic slowdown? yes, this can happen if you have bad dieting habits, but we don't know how much that slowdown would be. avoid this if you can.
  • 4_Lisa
    4_Lisa Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    Bottom line, make sure you are eating enough GOOD food to fuel your body. Don't eat back your exercise calories (unless you are bulking or maintaining) burn more calories through exercise than you are eating... include strength training (even if it is low weight high reps, muscle burns more calories in the long run) make sure you take in lots of protein to allow your body to recover quickly from lifting....

This is very bad advice. If you are using the MFP method, you should be eating back all, or at least half, of your exercise calories. That is the way MFP works. Also, you do not want to burn more calories through exercise than you eat. That is crazy. Your body needs fuel for everything you do, including breathing, thinking, digesting, sleeping, etc. Food is not our enemy.

See but you throw out that advice... I am doing what my trainer and nutritionist have advised me to do. I am losing between 1.5 - 2 lbs of fat per week and gaining/building muscle. I have plenty of stored fat for my body to burn as fuel for my workouts (kinda the point, that's how you lose weight)
  • aelunyu
    aelunyu Posts: 486 Member
    Options

now that starvation mode is out of the way, there does seem to be such a thing as metabolic slowdown due to dieting. that's what happens with people who spend years on yo-yo low calorie diets. they aren't depriving themselves to the point where there organs begin to be consumed, but they do deprive themselves enough to slow down their overall metabolism. it's uncertain just how much of a slow down occurs though.

so you don't want to try and live off of 800 calories a day even if you're 100 lbs overweight because after a number of months, you could affect your metabolism. i think part of that will be due to loss of LBM, but part of it also probably just your body adapting to the low calorie intake. once you go back to eating normal, the metabolism stays lower and you then put on weight more quickly. this alone is a good reason to avoid VLCD and yo-yo dieting.

other people have covered the subject in much more detail than i can.

so the executive summary is:

a) starvation mode? no, virtually nobody on MFP would ever have to worry about that.
    b) metabolic slowdown? yes, this can happen if you have bad dieting habits, but we don't know how much that slowdown would be. avoid this if you can.

Just skimmed, but this guy is the TRUTH. for 95% of dieters that are not bodybuilders looking to get to 6% bodyfat. you will NEVER have to worry about "starvation mode" which is basically a hormonal (leptin) based response to extended cal deficit, coupled with not enough fat to sustain reasonable activity. So if you have fat stores, this is generally not going to happen to you.

Metabolic "slowdown" happens to most people. If you are sensible on your diet, and as you lose weight, you will have to eat less and less to continue to lose weight. That's just common sense. If you start at 300lb, and you're now 150, the amount you were eating to lose the first 10 lbs will probably not work to help you lose anymore.

Metabolice "syndrome" happens to many female fitness models or bikini models. They are so cardio focused and they have to diet so long that eventually their body essentially becomes super efficient on very very little caloric intake. Some girls cannot shed weight eating 900 calories a day and doing 3-4 hours of low intensity cardio. This is also not 95% of MFP'ers. This damage occurs over years of dieting, then adding weight, and dieting again, so their bodies no longer respond to dieting.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    Google the minnesota starvation study. I've read the whole thing. Basically they were on limited diet of about 2200 calories per day and were asked to walk alot during the week 10-15 miles seems about right. Anyway their metabolisms didn't slow down until they were about 5% body fat.

This is absolutely false. I also read the whole 1300 plus page study (along with many other research studies and peer reviewed papers). BMR was reduced by 15% during the initial phase of the study and went as high as 40% lower during subsequent periods during the starvation section of the study, well before participants reached their low of BF% (approximately 5% on average). there were also documented reductions in the burning of body fat, muscle wasting (extreme catabolism), psychological issues, malnutrition, and a decrease in activity level and brain function as direct results of the reduction in calories. For the record, they were not given 2200 calories per day, it was about 1500 calories per day during the semi-starvation period and differing amounts depending on which re-feeding group they were in for the second period, the third period was unrestricted but monitored calories.

As a definition: starvation mode is described as the period where glycogen reserves are depleted without the body having the ability to replenish them, when we don't take in enough food to replenish glycogen reserves it takes anywhere from 24 to 72 hours to deplete glycogen stores. when this happens the body begins altering hormone levels in order to better take advantage of the fasting state. I won't go into details about what hormones change and what this does. But essentially the body recognizes the lack of fuel and begins storing fat at a higher rate and using dormant or little used muscle mass as a source of energy. It also alters and reduces the amount of energy used by the basal metabolic processes (the processes in the body that are autonomic and not governed by our conscious brain, I.E. breathing, digestion, organ function...etc) by slowing these processes to some degree (the degree depends on the extremity of the deficit, the work being done, and the individual)

I WILL say that people's perception of starvation mode is pretty messed up. It doesn't make you gain weight (not in the classic sense at least), it will change your body's priority for fuel burning, and it can take weeks and even months depending on the circumstances for these effects to become evident. As a side note it can do some serious damage to the human psyche as well.
    Starvation mode IS real, it DOES happen, and it doesn't wait until 5% body fat to occur. For the record, 5% body fat for a woman is essentially someone who's already dangerously low, men can deal with it (although it's pretty rare outside of body competitions and almost never for periods extending over a month or two), but women start exhibiting warning signs at well above 5%.
  • cicisiam
    cicisiam Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    "Google!"
  • PrimalSiren
    Options
    IMO starvation mode is b.s. I have a lot of reasons why I think this, but I'll just post a few links and you can come up with your own conclusion.

http://fitnessblackbook.com/main/starvation-mode-why-you-probably-never-need-to-worry-about-it/

These threads are good to read as well, read the entire thread to get the most out of them.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread11050.html
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread53765.html
  • WinnerVictorious
    Options
    Metabolic "slowdown" happens to most people. If you are sensible on your diet, and as you lose weight, you will have to eat less and less to continue to lose weight. That's just common sense. If you start at 300lb, and you're now 150, the amount you were eating to lose the first 10 lbs will probably not work to help you lose anymore.

Metabolice "syndrome" happens to many female fitness models or bikini models. They are so cardio focused and they have to diet so long that eventually their body essentially becomes super efficient on very very little caloric intake. Some girls cannot shed weight eating 900 calories a day and doing 3-4 hours of low intensity cardio. This is also not 95% of MFP'ers. This damage occurs over years of dieting, then adding weight, and dieting again, so their bodies no longer respond to dieting.

yes, this is what i meant. even when you lose weight the slow, healthy way, you're going to slow down your metabolism as your overall body mass decreases.

i was referring to something beyond that, what you call "metabolic syndrome".
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Google "Adaptive thermogenesis"
  • ryanb80
    Options
    Starvation mode is a food marketing ploy IMO, make sure you eat plenty of our food so you don't go into starvation mode. This world is built on a million lies.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    as someone stated above, Google adaptive thermogenesis which describes the starvation mode concept

for those that know how to read research, see:

http://www.nature.com/ijo/journal/v31/n2/full/0803523a.html

you'll notice a number of links near the section titled
    Determinant factors associated with adaptive thermogenesis

which point to other studies which have documented and analyzed this concept quite extensively. it's not new, I don't understand why people don't "believe" in it.

It's not a myth, it's not a marketing ploy, it's not a gimmick thought up by personal trainers to trick their clients.

It's widely misunderstood, but it that doesn't mean it's not true. Like anything, the facts surrounding it can be warped and misconstrued. But that doesn't make the concept of starvation mode false, it just means people aren't taking the time to do the research on it or are unable to correctly interpret the results already given by dozens of studies performed.
  • Happyme2009
    Happyme2009 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I am a big eater. I eat all the time. Pretty much healthy natural foods, but lots and lots. I couldn't go in starvation more if I wanted to.

But this is me. Take my mother for example, and for her, the entire 5 small meals a day is garbage. She can only lose weight if she doesn't eat. Period. A couple of fruits and veggies. No sweets, fried stuff, refined carbs, sugar, meat. Maybe 2 meals a day for her, small. And then she loses weight. She tried the 5 small meals a day and it never works for her. Never, no matter how healthy she eats.
    So I truly believe that everybody's metabolism is different. And starvation mode is a myth for at least 90 percent of people who live in today's day and age.
    Starvation more was the body's mechanism of survival back in the time when humans were gatherers and hunters. When the body knew food was scarce and unpredictable. But those genes have long been modified. So yes, maybe a handful of people still have that problem... but mostly, it's not true. Unless you are doing the hunger strike.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Read about some of the emotional and mental health effects of the Minnesota Starvation Study. One guy cut some of his own fingers off.

That one will stay with you.

Not eating enough is bad any way you slice it.

Ooops, tell me I didn't just go there?

This. I've never understood how the main takeaway from the Minnesota Starvation Study was the metabolic slowdown. I was way more interested in the psychological effects.