Paleo / Gluten Free Diets

Options

Replies

• bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    So, if one doesn't have to eliminate something to know if it's causing issues, what did you mean by "you don't know if you don't try it. So don't pretend like you know you have no issues with gluten"

What I meant by that statement is you can't say "X doesn't cause me any issues" if you have always eaten X. Maybe it doesn't, but you have no way of knowing that because you've always eaten it.

I don't understand. If you eat X and don't have any issues, then why can't you say "X doesn't cause me any issues"?

Dairy can cause acne, gluten can cause leptin resistance. Maybe it's easier for you to diet down to leanness if you eliminate gluten. But why would you know that if you've always eaten it. I'm saying you could be living with some issue that you think is just genetics but possibly you could resolve it by eliminating wheat.

Agreed. IF one has an issue for which they have no known cause, it's certainly possible that X could be the cause. Just as it's possible that A, B, C or red meat could be the cause. But if one has NO issues, then what would be gained by eliminating X?
  • sue2328
    sue2328 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Type 2 diabetic trying low carb - not quite paleo, but it has made a significant difference to my blood sugars- down to normal range within 2 weeks after several months at very high levels. Success
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    Well you don't know if you don't try it. So don't pretend like you know you have no issues with gluten.

Why would one have to eliminate something to know if they have issues? Issues either exist or they don't. While one may not know that X is the cause of issue Y, one would know if issue Y existed.

Eliminating anything from the diet for an extended period of time and then adding it back can cause digestion issues. This is not specific to wheat or carbs. Try it with meat sometime. The gut produces enzymes needed to digest the foods eaten. When something new is introduced, there is a chance the enzyme needed to digest it won't be there. It's the same reason foreign foods sometimes cause distress.

^ This so many times over. The number of people I've heard say "I just had x again after so many months and now I feel like crap." No *kitten* Sherlock, your body wasn't used to it anymore. Hell, just feeding nearly anything to concentration camp victims led to many of their deaths because this wasn't something we knew much about at the time.
  • fiferize
    fiferize Posts: 141
    Options
    Im using JJ Virgin' diet and it's also a gluten free diet among other things....check it out....
  • fiferize
    Options
    the JJ Virgin Diet will help you figure those food intollerances out. Which things cause you trouble and you didn't even know it!
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    the JJ Virgin Diet will help you figure those food intollerances out. Which things cause you trouble and you didn't even know it!

LOLz.
  • fiferize
    Options
    Gluten and Wheat yes could be good for you or they could be bad for you, but you don't know until you stop eating them for a while and see if you feel differently. Feel better, then try back after about 21 days and see what happens. That is how you use the elimination diet.
  • jenn26point2
    jenn26point2 Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    I started following the paleo approach in March and have lost 40 lbs since then. When I was following the standard calories in vs calories out, I lost 4 lbs in 2 months.
  • ecw3780
    ecw3780 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    OMG, unless you have a medically diagnosed condition, DO NOT go gluten free. It is unhealthy and unnecessary. As someone who has to be gluten free, it makes me want to punch people who hop on the gluten free fad diet band wagon. You will get fat, and you will deserve it.
  • bcattoes
    Options
    Wheat is not even edible by humans without excessive processing by the way. The more refined grains are the better they are for you simply because they become less and less the plant and more just a simple carbohydrate. There are not enough vitamins in them in the first place to speak of. If you wanted vitamins in your food you would eat offal and tubers not whole wheat and corn.

Wheat grains are not edible without excessive processing? So why on earth would man begin farming and eating it? Are you getting this 'information' from commercial diet books or published meta analyses and longitudinal population studies?

I don''t eat or recommend wheat, white potato or corn/ maize to nutrition clients for the vitamin content, don't actually know any healthcare professional who does. What a bizarre and misleading statement. How do you know whether I do or do not eat whole wheat, corn, tubers or offal?

Let me apologize. I wasn't trying to say that I knew what you consumed. Man began farming and eating wheat because it was a source of food, not because it was easy to process. It saved millions of lives from starvation and famine. However, If you go try to eat raw wheat you will puke your guts out. The stuff has evolved to be difficult to consume by animals.

I'm pretty sure most people would have trouble eating many nuts without first removing the shell. And most prefer bananas and most citrus with the outer layer removed. Quite a few even like to remove the outer layer of meat and eggs before eating. The fact that edible portions are contained within an outer layer that is not edible or palatable is not evidence that the food needs eliminated from the diet.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    I started following the paleo approach in March and have lost 40 lbs since then. When I was following the standard calories in vs calories out, I lost 4 lbs in 2 months.

Something's not adding up.
    Literally.
  • Bumbeen
    Bumbeen Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    So, if one doesn't have to eliminate something to know if it's causing issues, what did you mean by "you don't know if you don't try it. So don't pretend like you know you have no issues with gluten"

What I meant by that statement is you can't say "X doesn't cause me any issues" if you have always eaten X. Maybe it doesn't, but you have no way of knowing that because you've always eaten it.

I don't understand. If you eat X and don't have any issues, then why can't you say "X doesn't cause me any issues"?

Dairy can cause acne, gluten can cause leptin resistance. Maybe it's easier for you to diet down to leanness if you eliminate gluten. But why would you know that if you've always eaten it. I'm saying you could be living with some issue that you think is just genetics but possibly you could resolve it by eliminating wheat.

Agreed. IF one has an issue for which they have no known cause, it's certainly possible that X could be the cause. Just as it's possible that A, B, C or red meat could be the cause. But if one has NO issues, then what would be gained by eliminating X?

Nothing, I just find it unlikely that someone consuming wheat has no issues from it. Especially later down the line when it will start taking its toll in the form of atherosclerosis and autoimmune diseases.
  • Bumbeen
    Options
    Wheat is not even edible by humans without excessive processing by the way. The more refined grains are the better they are for you simply because they become less and less the plant and more just a simple carbohydrate. There are not enough vitamins in them in the first place to speak of. If you wanted vitamins in your food you would eat offal and tubers not whole wheat and corn.

Wheat grains are not edible without excessive processing? So why on earth would man begin farming and eating it? Are you getting this 'information' from commercial diet books or published meta analyses and longitudinal population studies?

I don''t eat or recommend wheat, white potato or corn/ maize to nutrition clients for the vitamin content, don't actually know any healthcare professional who does. What a bizarre and misleading statement. How do you know whether I do or do not eat whole wheat, corn, tubers or offal?

Let me apologize. I wasn't trying to say that I knew what you consumed. Man began farming and eating wheat because it was a source of food, not because it was easy to process. It saved millions of lives from starvation and famine. However, If you go try to eat raw wheat you will puke your guts out. The stuff has evolved to be difficult to consume by animals.

I'm pretty sure most people would have trouble eating many nuts without first removing the shell. And most prefer bananas and most citrus with the outer layer removed. Quite a few even like to remove the outer layer of meat and eggs before eating. The fact that edible portions are contained within an outer layer that is not edible or palatable is not evidence that the food needs eliminated from the diet.

I didn't say you shouldn't eat it only because the outer layer isn't edible or palatable.
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    Are you getting this 'information' from commercial diet books or published meta analyses and longitudinal population studies?

Please answer my questions instead of neatly sidestepping them (see above).

Are you a raw food paleo then? Plenty of foods are inedible or will make you sick without cooking, quinoa, certain tubers and meats or seafood for example. Many believe cooking played a huge role in the evolution of humans, how we came to be able to colonise the earth and survive ice ages.

I've certainly eaten uncooked oats and raw barley without puking, can't honestly tell you if the whole rolled wheat grains I have eaten have been lightly steamed or not. I wouldn't describe steaming as excessive processing anyway. Quick Google suggests people do eat raw soaked wheat berries not just sprouted or cooked ones.

What do other animals have to do with it? My digestive system and nutritional needs are nothing like a cow (herbivore), nor anything like a cat (obligate carnivore). Interestingly both will eat oat grass, my last cat happily ate raw offal, given that the pork kidneys stank of a men's bathroom and made me feel rather queasy, and I am pretty sure cooking or eating that raw would have made me puke my guts out.
  • bcattoes
    Options

Nothing, I just find it unlikely that someone consuming wheat has no issues from it. Especially later down the line when it will start taking its toll in the form of atherosclerosis and autoimmune diseases.

People really aren't all the same. I have no food intollerances that I know of, though certainly I've not tried every food in the world. But, I've eaten wheat all my life. I'm 51 yo and have no health problems that regular screenings can detect and no physical issues that I can feel. Believe or not.
  • Baileys83
    Baileys83 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Hi there - I went gluten free 22 days ago due to medical reasons and feel so much better. I have lost 5lb (not a huge amount but its not been long) but more importantly I have lost the bloated feeling and look. I am far less slugish and people have already noticed. It is hard though. I have been out to eat with me kids a couple of times and not been able to have anything as wall all bread or pasta or sauces that contain gluten. It does take a huge amount of will power and on occasion I have been snappy (I now understand why giving up smoking is so hard!) but for me it wasn't a choice and after 3 weeks I have calmed down and feel so much better.
  • bcattoes
    Options

I didn't say you shouldn't eat it only because the outer layer isn't edible or palatable.

So what was your point re: the whole plant being difficult to consume?
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options

You think it's unlikely that someone could consume wheat products throughout life without developing atherosclerosis and autoimmune diseases?
  • Micahroni84
    Micahroni84 Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    OMG, unless you have a medically diagnosed condition, DO NOT go gluten free. It is unhealthy and unnecessary. As someone who has to be gluten free, it makes me want to punch people who hop on the gluten free fad diet band wagon. You will get fat, and you will deserve it.

My sister was recently diagnosed with celiacs and since we have some of the same health issues it was recommended i do the 30 GF challenge. I felt amazing, lost weight. Then reintroduced, felt horrible. Today my doctor decided to test me for Celiacs. I lost four pounds in one week going GF 100% so im hoping in the next few months i will see more progress but my doctor is having me reintroduce gluten again this week before my testing next week. Im dreading it. Im 100% sure i have at the least a gluten allergy. I cant imagine cutting gluten out of my diet solely to lose weight. Its been tough to do it to be healthier. I miss doughy pizza and whole wheat toast with my coffee in the morning!
  • Bumbeen
    Options
    Are you getting this 'information' from commercial diet books or published meta analyses and longitudinal population studies?

Please answer my questions instead of neatly sidestepping them (see above).

Are you a raw food paleo then? Plenty of foods are inedible or will make you sick without cooking, quinoa, certain tubers and meats or seafood for example. Many believe cooking played a huge role in the evolution of humans, how we came to be able to colonise the earth and survive ice ages.

I've certainly eaten uncooked oats and raw barley without puking, can't honestly tell you if the whole rolled wheat grains I have eaten have been lightly steamed or not. I wouldn't describe steaming as excessive processing anyway. Quick Google suggests people do eat raw soaked wheat berries not just sprouted or cooked ones.

What do other animals have to do with it? My digestive system and nutritional needs are nothing like a cow (herbivore), nor anything like a cat (obligate carnivore). Interestingly both will eat oat grass, my last cat happily ate raw offal, given that the pork kidneys stank of a men's bathroom and made me feel rather queasy, and I am pretty sure cooking or eating that raw would have made me puke my guts out.

Please don't make me go pull hundreds of links to peer-reviewed journals :( I really hate doing that and it makes me look like a tool.

I am not a raw food paleo, cooking improves the bioavailability of most foods. You seem to think I eat this way for some philosophical or mystic reasoning that I can't explain. That would not be the case.

If you sprout/soak then they are at least edible, though with various degrees of negative health effects.

Well we are animals, raw wheat can really only be consumed by birds. It makes cows sick, it makes us sick.