Paleo / Gluten Free Diets

Options

Replies

• brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    `whatever you decide to do make sure it is sustainable and good for your long term health. I went on a diet about a decade ago that had long term health implications for my bone density.

It is not a bad thing to reduce your intake of processed gluten in things like shop bought bread, biscuits, cakes etc because they use the cheapest bleached flours. This does not mean that you cannot have cous cous or wholegrain rice.

It is not ideal to cut out all good sources of gluten because the outside of wholegrain has vitamin E and you need that for your skin - vital to keep skin supple when dieting or it will go dry.

There is nothing in grains that can not be obtained from other sources (fruits and vegetables) and in higher quantities.

We don't need gluten or grains to get enough Vitamin E.

Sunflower seeds, Almonds, Paprika, Red Chili Powder, Pine nuts, Peanuts, Basil, Oregano, Dried Apricots, Pickled Green Olives, Cooked Spinach and Cooked Taro Root.

Also, here is a list of other foods that are abundant in Vitamin E.

http://www.healthaliciousness.com/articles/vitamin-E.php#vitamin-E-rich-foods

"There is nothing in grains that can not be obtained from other sources (fruits and vegetables) and in higher quantities."

This is the worst argument for cutting X foods out of your diet, be it gluten, milk or whatever else fad food deletion is passing though the first world populations (and by fad, I mean that strictly for people that don't REQUIRE the deletion for health complication reasons, celiacs, lactose intolerance, etc).

You could sat this about any food.
    Ridiculous example #1:
    There is nothing in pineapple that cannot be obtained from other sources and in higher quantities.
    Ridiculous example #2:
    There is nothing in sweet potatoes that cannot be obtained from other sources and in higher quantities.
    Ridiculous example #3:
    There is nothing in broccoli that cannot be obtained from other sources and in higher quantities.

That does not mean I will delete pineapple, sweet potatoes, broccoli, grains or milk from my diet (since I have no medical dietary reasons to do so). If I went by that reasoning, I'd never be able to eat anything because everything in everything can be obtained from other sources and in higher quantities. If you are anti gluten, fine, but please find a different, less ridiculous argument in order to state your case.
  • time2bhealthy
    time2bhealthy Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    `whatever you decide to do make sure it is sustainable and good for your long term health. I went on a diet about a decade ago that had long term health implications for my bone density.

It is not a bad thing to reduce your intake of processed gluten in things like shop bought bread, biscuits, cakes etc because they use the cheapest bleached flours. This does not mean that you cannot have cous cous or wholegrain rice.

It is not ideal to cut out all good sources of gluten because the outside of wholegrain has vitamin E and you need that for your skin - vital to keep skin supple when dieting or it will go dry.

There is nothing in grains that can not be obtained from other sources (fruits and vegetables) and in higher quantities.

Sunflower seeds, Almonds, Paprika, Red Chili Powder, Pine nuts, Peanuts, Basil, Oregano, Dried Apricots, Pickled Green Olives, Cooked Spinach and Cooked Taro Root.

"There is nothing in grains that can not be obtained from other sources (fruits and vegetables) and in higher quantities."

This is the worst argument for cutting X foods out of your diet, be it gluten, milk or whatever else fad food deletion is passing though the first world populations (and by fad, I mean that strictly for people that don't REQUIRE the deletion for health complication reasons, celiacs, lactose intolerance, etc).

Ridiculous example #1:
    There is nothing in pineapple that cannot be obtained from other sources and in higher quantities.
    Ridiculous example #2:
    There is nothing in sweet potatoes that cannot be obtained from other sources and in higher quantities.
    Ridiculous example #3:
    There is nothing in broccoli that cannot be obtained from other sources and in higher quantities.

That does not mean I will delete pineapple, sweet potatoes, broccoli, grains or milk from my diet (since I have no medical dietary reasons to do so). If I went by that reasoning, I'd never be able to eat anything because everything in everything can be obtained from other sources and in higher quantities. If you are anti gluten, fine, but please find a different, less ridiculous argument in order to state your case.

Grains are not the healthy source they are made out to be. There are many other nutritional sources that provide higher amounts of nutrients, as I mentioned in my first post, fruits and vegetables.

It is not a ridiculous argument at all. It is a true statement to say that there are no nutrients in grains that can't be obtained from other sources (fruits and vegetables). After all, grains have to be fortified to be nutritious, fruits and vegetables don't.
  • brower47
    Options

Ridiculous example #1:
    Ridiculous example #2:
    Ridiculous example #3:

Grains are not the healthy source they are made out to be. There are many other nutritional sources that provide higher amounts of nutrients, as I mentioned in my first post, fruits and vegetables.

It is not a ridiculous argument at all. It is a true statement to say that there are no nutrients in grains that can't be obtained from other sources (fruits and vegetables). After all, grains have to be fortified to be nutritious, fruits and vegetables don't.

Alright, ignore all the point I made. Keep using that argument and keep not convincing people who see how blatantly ridiculous it is.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options

Ridiculous example #1:
    Ridiculous example #2:
    Ridiculous example #3:

Alright, ignore all the point I made. Keep using that argument and keep not convincing people who see how blatantly ridiculous it is.

Yup, when you've already got your mind made up, there is no need to be confused by facts is there? lol
  • mynameiscarrie
    mynameiscarrie Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    I haven't read any of the posts so I'm sorry if this has been said, but I do not recommend going GF for diet purposes. GF food is high in calories and if you don't have an intolerance, there really isn't a reason to go GF.

Both are lifestyles that take commitment.
  • Micahroni84
    Micahroni84 Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    I haven't read any of the posts so I'm sorry if this has been said, but I do not recommend going GF for diet purposes. GF food is high in calories and if you don't have an intolerance, there really isn't a reason to go GF.

Gluten substitutes like the bread and pastries, etc are way high in calories and in fat. Thats why if you go GF you should really go Paleo. I indulge in a GF muffin or bagel now and then but most of the time its not worth burning the extra calories.
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options

Refined grains are fortified in the UK because refining strips them of their nutrients, wholegrains are not. If what you claim is true I have no idea why wholegrains are fortified in the US. Fruits and vegetables are not a like-for-like substitute for the nutrients in grains - beans, lentils, nuts and seeds are closer.
  • mynameiscarrie
    mynameiscarrie Posts: 963 Member
    Options

Gluten substitutes like the bread and pastries, etc are way high in calories and in fat. Thats why if you go GF you should really go Paleo. I indulge in a GF muffin or bagel now and then but most of the time its not worth burning the extra calories.

Exactly. A lot of people think going GF will help them lose weight. You'd be better off just eating clean (unless of course you do have an intolerance). GF does not necessarily mean healthier.
  • mmapags
    Options

Refined grains are fortified in the UK because refining strips them of their nutrients, wholegrains are not. If what you claim is true I have no idea why wholegrains are fortified in the US. Fruits and vegetables are not a like-for-like substitute for the nutrients in grains - beans, lentils, nuts and seeds are closer.

I am not aware of whole grains being fortified in the US. Sounds like someone is making things up.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,925 Member
    Options

I am not aware of whole grains being fortified in the US. Sounds like someone is making things up.
    I know in Canada we can call something whole grain that actually isn't a whole grain, like whole grain bread, which is fortified, but will have a sprinkling of actual whole grain in it. Actual whole grain isn't fortified. Confusing to say the least. Americans consume about 175% more refined grain than recommended and consume only 30% of whole grain recommendations, and when they eat out, those numbers go up....looks like whole grain isn't popular at M'D's.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options

I am not making anything up. All breads and grain products (cereals) are fortified..........even the ones that say "whole grain".

There really is no such thing as "whole grain". You can't eat it straight from the plant out of a field and it has to be highly processed in order to be edible.
  • binknbaby
    binknbaby Posts: 207 Member
    Options

Or the cash!!! :wink:

Seriously, though... There is this assumption amongst those who have never NEEDED to be gluten free, that what it means is simply buying the [more expensive] gluten free bread instead of the regular bread, or getting the [again, more expensive] gluten free pasta, instead of regular.

On the contrary, I find myself cutting out more carbs than the average diet, with the exception of fruits and veggies. Perhaps I should rather say, I cut out *starch*, rather than simply getting the gluten free alternative.

That's not to say I don't treat myself to baking some GF cookies or, on the extremely rare occasion, getting some bread for toast, but I eat probably half the amount of starchy carbs (again, not counting fruits/veggies--I eat more of them now!) than I did before I went GF. Now I use primarily vegetables and fruit for my carbs, and use much more whole foods than when I was not GF.

Personally, I believe that people who actually need to be GF will do much more research on it and will learn how to be GF without just replacing "regular" with "GF" pre-packaged products.
  • shellisugar
    shellisugar Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    ---Personally, I believe that people who actually need to be GF will do much more research on it and will learn how to be GF without just replacing "regular" with "GF" pre-packaged products---

This! I contemplated my GF challenge for a few months. Regular exercise helped my moods, eating clean, whole foods helped too, but I still felt like I could do more, hence the challenge. I've been filling myself up with more lean proteins and fresh veggies instead of bread and crackers.

I did catch hell from some people who said I was being trendy. Screw them. If I feel better and I'm eating clean, healthy foods (and a few Schars GF pizza crusts now and then :wink: ) and it's not hurting anyone, why should they care? My food budget is actually less because we are eating out less!
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,925 Member
    Options

I am not making anything up. All breads and grain products (cereals) are fortified..........even the ones that say "whole grain".

There really is no such thing as "whole grain". You can't eat it straight from the plant out of a field and it has to be highly processed in order to be edible.
    Sure there is. For example whole oats, brown and wild rice, barley, buckwheat, quinoa, rye, bulgar and corn are whole grains.
  • brower47
    Options

Ridiculous example #1:
    Ridiculous example #2:
    Ridiculous example #3:

Yup, when you've already got your mind made up, there is no need to be confused by facts is there? lol

Whoops, lol.
  • mmapags
    Options

Sure there is. For example whole oats, brown and wild rice, barley, buckwheat, quinoa, rye, bulgar and corn are whole grains.

Well, I guess they were making things up afterall! lol
  • Micahroni84
    Options

Seriously, though... There is this assumption amongst those who have never NEEDED to be gluten free, that what it means is simply buying the [more expensive] gluten free bread instead of the regular bread, or getting the [again, more expensive] gluten free pasta, instead of regular.

On the contrary, I find myself cutting out more carbs than the average diet, with the exception of fruits and veggies. Perhaps I should rather say, I cut out *starch*, rather than simply getting the gluten free alternative.

That's not to say I don't treat myself to baking some GF cookies or, on the extremely rare occasion, getting some bread for toast, but I eat probably half the amount of starchy carbs (again, not counting fruits/veggies--I eat more of them now!) than I did before I went GF. Now I use primarily vegetables and fruit for my carbs, and use much more whole foods than when I was not GF.

Personally, I believe that people who actually need to be GF will do much more research on it and will learn how to be GF without just replacing "regular" with "GF" pre-packaged products.

No kidding the cash! My eyes fell out of my head when i went to look for GF bread and saw the price. Thats why i buy it make a sandwhich and put the rest in the freezer for another time, usually a month later. Or for instance a couple of weeks ago i bought a GF frozen pizza. I think its like an 8 inch pizza and it was 11 bucks AND i didnt realize until i got home (im usually so good about looking first) that one serving has over 19 grams of fat!!! I dont know if i will ever eat it. What a waste of money.
  • Micahroni84
    Options

No kidding the cash! My eyes fell out of my head when i went to look for GF bread and saw the price. Thats why i buy it make a sandwhich and put the rest in the freezer for another time, usually a month later. Or for instance a couple of weeks ago i bought a GF frozen pizza. I think its like an 8 inch pizza and it was 11 bucks AND i didnt realize until i got home (im usually so good about looking first) that one serving has over 19 grams of fat!!! I dont know if i will ever eat it. What a waste of money.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Helps with what?

I'm just trying to explain that the fact you have to peel something doesn't make it bad for you, but you HAVE to do severe processing to grains in order to keep them from being unhealthy. In fact the only grain I would consider un-harmful is white rice.

Whether you consider something healthy does not determine whether it is, in fact, healthy. Eat the way you want, but I prefer to stick to scientific evidence to decide healthy vs. unhealthy for me. Including legumes and grains pretty much daily has been working for 1/2 century for me.