Atkins?????

Options
13»

Replies

• pattyproulx
    pattyproulx Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    You'll lose a lot of weight early because water attaches to carbs, so you lose a lot of water weight. This is nice in a way, because you lose a lot of bloat, but don't mistaken this for fat loss.
    Fat loss will come though - you just have to be patient.

The beauty behind Atkins and other low-carb diets is that you get full eating far fewer calories. People will say they couldn't handle cutting out carbs, and 'everything in moderation' and all that crap, but personally, I'd prefer to cut stuff out if it means I don't have to starve myself to try and get to a good weight.

If it means I have to learn to not eat so many carbs, then so be it. I love the food I eat, and I eat until I'm full. I don't have to have a snack every 2-3 hours and I don't get the carb crashes after meals. My energy levels are high and they are constant.

I play a ton of sports (hockey, volleyball, weight train, etc) and I've seen improvements in all of those.

(Note: I follow a paleo diet rather than Atkins, but I do try to keep my carbs to around 50g/day. Also, I've been eating this way for 3 years now.)
  • meredith1123
    meredith1123 Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    i dont.
    thats how.

I hate 'limited' diets. for me..... i go crazy when I am limited to only certain foods. It just gives me more reason to binge.

So now i eat whatever i want, in total moderation and balance it out week to week.

Same for me.

I considered Atkins for about 20 seconds, then realized what I'd have to give up for awhile and decided it wasn't for me. I love my carbs and I'm not a fan of butter or salt at all so if I had to use either of those I'd be out before I started.

Best of luck to those of you doing it!! I'm positive it works great for a lot of people, and I'm not one to judge. :)

I need carbs. I did try the atkins diet years ago - and for weeks I could not even climb a flight of stairs and it wasnt bc of my weight! It was bc my body was in dire need of carbs. They state that after two weeks your body gets over that phase but i went three weeks and literally wanted to die trying to get to third floor of my building at work.
    NEVER AGAIN.
    i love potatoes, i'm an advocate for eating what you want, in moderation. It makes me so much happier!! ooo cake, see ya. =)
  • alopezz
    Options
    You'll lose a lot of weight early because water attaches to carbs, so you lose a lot of water weight. This is nice in a way, because you lose a lot of bloat, but don't mistaken this for fat loss.

The beauty behind Atkins and other low-carb diets is that you get full eating far fewer calories. People will say they couldn't handle cutting out carbs, and 'everything in moderation' and all that crap, but personally, I'd prefer to cut stuff out if it means I don't have to starve myself to try and get to a good weight.

If it means I have to learn to not eat so many carbs, then so be it. I love the food I eat, and I eat until I'm full. I don't have to have a snack every 2-3 hours and I don't get the carb crashes after meals. My energy levels are high and they are constant.

I play a ton of sports (hockey, volleyball, weight train, etc) and I've seen improvements in all of those.

(Note: I follow a paleo diet rather than Atkins, but I do try to keep my carbs to around 50g/day. Also, I've been eating this way for 3 years now.)
  • martinah4
    martinah4 Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    before you try atkins, ask yourself if you really want to eliminate a food group? maybe atkins is not as strict as it was when it first came out and got better about going towards healthy fats, but wouldn't you rather eat a well rounded diet and not cut something out. You can still do a lower carb diet without the strictness of atkins....
    I have tried every plan out there, but what I want to work for me is being to able to eat healthy foods from all food groups.

You not eliminating anything.................your still eating carbs, fats and proteins...........If you follow all phases, you will eventually be eating grains, dairy, legumes, all fruit and veggies as long as the body is tolerant.

What people fail to understand is that Dr Atkins plan is designed as an elimination plan that then slowly re-incorporates all foods in at a very slow pace so a person can see if there are trigger foods or foods that don't agree with the body. This is how we find out if we have intolerances to certain foods or not.

Guess I never made it past phase 1...

Guess you never even read the book...
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options

I am similar to this poster...............I actually transitioned from Atkins to the Paleo way of life as a way of cleaning up my eating even more than before.

I was one of the more Atkins "purists" and ate mostly clean, but did eat some grains, too much dairy and allowed myself to have artificial sweeteners and such.