Question about ideal weight

Options
13»

Replies

• Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    Options
    Yeah had I picked my high school weight, it would have put me at around 110. Way too thin for somebody who's 5'9". That's how I got into trouble and packed on the pounds later on - I figured I was one of those folks who was just naturally underweight, and didn't have to worry about eating healthy or counting calories...

I LOL at that now...

wow! and i thought i was skinny at 105 and 5'4" in high school.

I started at 140 and my goal was 119. I am at 115 now. I'm thinking of going down to 110 though because I'm still not satisfied. I don't think you can really pick a number until you get there though.

You probably aren't going to get better with weight. 105 is not good for 5'4 btw. Ur body fat% is most likely the problem. You need to add muscle. Tho it's really hard to say without looking.

I might try and add muscle. I had started dieting in late April and then hurt my back in June which resulted in pain in my back and hip and legs due to an old knee injury. I couldn't really work out other than cardio. I'm not sure if it's better yet. I did some weights at the gym the past few days. In a little bit of pain, but some of it could just be normal soreness from working out. Not sure yet. Don't really want to put my body up to scrutiny, so I don't include a picture of it.
  • spamantha57
    spamantha57 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    My ideal weight is when I was healthy & fit into all my clothes. If I'm healthy (& active as I want) & fit into all my clothes, those are the only 2 things ideal to me. :)
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    For all those who are basing your goals based on high school weights, it's generally a bad way to do it. I too thought this when I started my weight journey. I thought, wow, I want to be 175 as that is what I was in high school. Here is the problem, when you gain weight, you actually gain muscle to support a heavier frame. So getting back to a erroneous number, means you will have to cut a lot of muscle to get back to your goal. That's fine if you want a slower metabolism and you want to make it harder to be fit and lean just to get a number, but I learned (based on body composition) that I would have to cut over 10 lbs of muscle to even get close to my high school number considering I have about 176lbs of lean body mass. If you want to know what your goal should be, I did a write on it awhile ago.. see link below.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/684493-how-to-determine-weight-goal?hl=how+to:+determine&page=1#posts-10001020