Do you count cleaning as exercise?

Options
123457»

Replies

• nannyal
    nannyal Posts: 50
    Options
    Get your husband to do that amount of cleaning and ask him that question again.
  • Brownsbacker4evr
    Brownsbacker4evr Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I dont. And I dont think people should. IF you do, make sure you dont log 500-1000 cals for 30 minutes worth of cleaning. Unless of course you are deadlifting all the appliances while you clean lol. You'd only be cheating yourself.
    But if the burns you get from it are making sense come weigh-in day, go for it.
  • releame
    releame Posts: 10
    Options
    Any type of body movement is burning calories.....oh ya you also burn calories by laying on the couch/ sleeping.
    I believe setting a time aside for you.....not daughter... Or Husband just for you to change your lifestyle, by focusing on being healthy, fit, and happy is a positive step. I would put down half of the time because it ultimately wasn't for you. A suggestion is if hubby doesn't think it does not count let him. Clean dtr's room while you do a real workout for YOU.
  • StephMcw
    StephMcw Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    no
  • jbeverly21176
    Options
    I use to when I first started getting myself to be healthier, I don't now because I am not lazy anymore and actually clean daily, what others consider deep clean I do at least 2xs a week as regular cleaning. Seen this post was made back in January so I am sure OP isn't still in this debate. :smile:
  • doty0815
    doty0815 Posts: 68
    Options
    I do on my deep cleaning days and those are normaly my rest days from the gym but I always under count it so if it took me 2 hours then I count one hour on here.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    nope. I only log directed effort specifically for exercise. The only exception I'll make is if I'm doing things around the house like hanging drywall and framing walls and stuff like that.
  • kuntry_navy
    kuntry_navy Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    I log the more physical chores, like shovelling snow, or other yard work. but unless you're dragging the couch around to build up a sweat, I wouldn't log it
  • Rockstar_JILL
    Rockstar_JILL Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    I dont. And I dont think people should. IF you do, make sure you dont log 500-1000 cals for 30 minutes worth of cleaning. Unless of course you are deadlifting all the appliances while you clean lol. You'd only be cheating yourself.
    But if the burns you get from it are making sense come weigh-in day, go for it.

I like this answer^^^
  • danibu98
    danibu98 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I count them rarely, and I count less than half the hours I actually did when I feel a need to log them. I've been cleaning for a couple hours this morning already. I agree with a previous poster that they are magic floaty calories earned for the times when I miscalculate.
  • MissNieves329
    Options
    I log cleaning. I put on my HRM and go to town!! Mopping, scrubbing the tub, doing windows! Why wouldn't you log it? I like to use the HRM because I feel like MFP is not accurate when it comes to cals burned. The number is always too high.
  • Louise1247
    Louise1247 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    I clean 5 hours a morning as a job, burn average of 700 cals on HRM consistently. However I just changed my activity level and upped the cals :)
  • skinnydreams19
    skinnydreams19 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Definitely, and you can log it!
  • Saaaam42
    Saaaam42 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I used to, but only when I would actually be sweating from it. Now I don't really log anything because my FitBit adjusts it for me.
  • Silvervixen79
    Silvervixen79 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I did a big spring-clean yesterday, including hand scubbing floors etc, so yes I did count it as exercise - it was exhausting!!
  • CarlottaGorda
    Options
    I don't usually count the housework that I normally do in the run of a week, but for sure if I take on a big task (like you did) I would definitely count it!
  • sarab99
    sarab99 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I don't, but if its something that is out of the ordinary for your routine, I can see counting it. I usually only count activities outside of my normal routine. I end up walking a lot at work and school, so I don't count it because it's normal for me. If I went for a long walk outside the the regular routine, I'd add it.
  • ToBeCountry
    ToBeCountry Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I'd rather not log it and have it as extra floaty magical calories than count it and end up over-estimating. Unless I purposefully set out to do a workout, I don't add it.

Agree.
  • DeeC01
    DeeC01 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I never did, but I really needed the extra calories yesterday. With the cleaning time i spent cleaning, I hadn't got the time to go to the gym. I cleaned for about 4 hours and logged three. I counted it as ight. I would have just sat infront of the tv otherwise, so I don't see it as really cheating to be honest. I was burning more than I would have been in front of the TV. So I think if I need the calories in the future, I will log it, but if I don't need them, I will leave it as an extra cushion. As some one else said, if its not hurting the scale, stick with it.
  • ScottishMrs
    ScottishMrs Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Having a bit of a debate with my spouse about whether or not cleaning counts as exercise. I spent four hours cleaning my child's room today, it was a huge project that took a lot of time and energy. I was actually sweating at some points. So, I put in two hours of light/moderate cleaning in my exercise log, just to be careful. My husband said it shouldn't count. What say you?

I do count it as exercise if it's heavy duty and something I don't ordinarily do. Things such as rearranging furniture, unpacking boxes, rearranging cupboards, washing the car, etc that require heavy lifting and physical exertion and will cause me to be in pain the next day. These are also things that I only do once a month at most. If it's activity that takes the place of what would normally be time spent doing something sedentary, I count it.