BUMP
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    yum, thanks all.
  • Lalasharni
    Lalasharni Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Use whole wheat pasta and instead of sauce, make it with garlic, chilli, sliced mushroom, chopped spinach and a little extra virgin olive oil.
    If its the spaghetti you crave, that will do it. Adding sugar rich shop bought sauces and beef hype up the calories. Whole wheat pasta will even out your blood sugar levels as its absorbed slowly.
  • Kelley528
    Kelley528 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with getting your pasta fix as long as you measure the serving you eat. Pasta is one of those things that is way too easy to eat if you have an endless supply on your plate.

I eat pasta on a regular basis. I just measure the uncooked 2oz serving of whole wheat pasta and add 1/4 cup sauce. The whole thing is only 235-255 calories depending on the sause. 1/4 coats mine pasta fine but you can do the half cup serving making your meal 270-290. I add some sort of green veggie and 4oz chicken, 4oz of meatballs, or 1 sausage link for 120cal. No matter what the one meal never goes past 500 calories.
  • maritzarazo
    Options
    I make mine with whole wheat pasta, fat free ground turkey (Jennie-O) and Prego garden medley spaghetti sause. I add in zuchini, bell peppers and mushrooms and a dash of oregano. The entire family loves it.
  • MSam1205
    MSam1205 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    bump
  • mactaffy84
    mactaffy84 Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Try the health food store and search for some alternative products. Pasta is a bad carb but once and a while is okay - just have a smaller serving and make sure you are eating lots of veggies with it as well as exercising.

Disagree totally, in my opinion. I'd just choose whole grain pasta over "regular" pasta. Tastes just as good to me, even better, actually! Just skip the cream-based sauces and stick to a normal portion (2 oz uncooked) and enjoy! Life would stink without pasta.
  • teamdj1
    teamdj1 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    When i heard about it i said the same. But i am glad i did try them. I don't feel so bad:sad: after eating them lol:laugh:
  • Amber1070
    Amber1070 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I really, really like to use spaghetti squash for my noodles. When you do that, your sauce and any cheese can take up almost all of your dinner calories.

Spaghetti squash. Use it just like pasta. It's awesome!
  • Nessiechickie
    Nessiechickie Posts: 1,392 Member
    Options
    SPAGHETTI SQUASH!
    I like it plain with salt and pepper or use it as pasta with tomato sauce and some meat... so yummy
  • amyreafleng
    amyreafleng Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I made Mexican lasagna the other day...I thought it was very yummy..(kids even liked it).

1 pound lean ground beef
    1 can (16oz) fat-free refried beans
    2 tsp. Dried oregano
    1 tsp. Ground cumin
    3/4 tsp garlic powder
    9 uncooked lasagna noodles
    1 jar (16oz) salsa
    2 c. Water
    1 container Kraft 2% Mexican style cheese
    4 oz black olives
    1/4 cup thinly sliced green onion
    Fat free or light sour cream (optional)

Brown hamburger/drain add beans and seasonings and heat
    Place 3 noodles in bottom of 13x9 baking dish (coated with cooking spray)
    Cover with half the hamburger mixture
    Repeat layers
    Top with remaining 3 noodles
    Mix the salsa with the water and pour over noddles
    cover and bake at 350° for 60-70 mins. Until pasts is tender
    Remove sprinkle with olives, cheese, and green onion
    return to oven for 3-4 mins...just to melt cheese

Makes 9 big servings

Without sour cream approximately
    292 calories
    31 carbs
    9 fat
    20 protein
  • TheMeIWillBe
    Options
    Healthy Harvest brand whole wheat pasta is really good and does not taste like wheat pasta
  • amosmoses88
    amosmoses88 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Oh my, so many great ideas! I've thought about buying the whole wheat pasta because it's my weak spot as well seeing as I have Italian in me. I really like the spaghetti squash idea. I've never done it, so I'm definitely going to try that. I'll try the smallest squash I can find because I'm the only one to eat it in my house. (It's a pain having a mother and son that has a hard time gaining weight...Ironic seeing as I'm obese.)
  • Nikibell41
    Nikibell41 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I made turkey spaghetti bolognaise last night and it was gorgeous.
    Minced lean turkey 500g
    2 onions
    red and orange pepper
    8 mushrooms
    1 carrot diced
    2 tins of chopped tomatoes
    tomato puree
    italian mixed herbs
    3 cloves of garlic
    oregano
    whole grain pasta (3/4 of a pack)
    low fat cheddar cheese 5g per portion

this makes about 6 portions, low fat, great complex carbs and worked out around 450 cals per portion :) Used about 6 sprays of oil in frying pan.
  • bananafish80
    bananafish80 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    STAY AWAY FROM WHEAT PRODUCTS.

It's actually not good for you. Human bodies can't process it well, and it ends up making you binge eat-- because of how the body processes it.

Link:

http://www.latimes.com/health/la-he-five-questions-davis-20130202,0,5603988.story

So really, stay away from products made with wheats. It's just another way companies try to keep you hooked on their products.
  • Corjogo
    Corjogo Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Eggplant, zucchini, spaghetti squash - all make up into low carb pasta dishes.