I have never weighed less than my hubbie.

Options
8 years ago, I married my wonderful hubbie Ed; and I weighed more than 260 pounds at the time. He refused to believe that number, since he was only 230 pounds and was seeing his new, 59 years old bride through the rose colored glasses of love. Even when I stood on the scale at the hospital, Ed insisted that it was wrong...that I weighed less than him.

Today, I weigh 251.8 pounds which is a good start to my goal of being less than 200 pounds on my doctor's scale. Ed had gained some weight over the past 8 years, but today, he is back down to 232 pounds. He is finally accepting that I do out weigh him, though he is quick to tell me that I am beautiful...not fat. Ed won't let me use that word.

Since I started my food plan and joined MFP, Ed has begun looking at his own health. He is eating healthier, biking almost every day and watching his blood pressure come down into a normal range. In September, he actually had a blood pressure of 197/134 that put him in the hospital.

All of the changes in Ed's health are fantastic. However...this morning, Ed made a surprising comment to me. He remarked that he was worried about me. He also said the most shocking thing. "Maybe, I should go back to eating more...so, you wouldn't feel bad about me losing weight."

I was stunned by this comment. I LOVE my husband and WANT him healthy. YES! Someday, I want to weigh less than Ed, but I don't resent him losing weight. I am delighted to know that his change in eating and exercise is working for him. YES! He will probably lose pounds faster than his walker and wheelchair bound wife. He is able to do more physically than I can...at this time.

I sometimes wonder, why men seem to lose weight easier than women, even active women. Maybe, it is just nature's way of keeping females rounder...'curvy' as Ed calls it. : )

But...here is THE POINT to this post. I have certain goals that I want to reach, and one of them is to weigh less than my hubbie. However, I will rejoice with him as he reaches certain goals in his healthier, new life. He is not hurting me with his weight loss. He is helping me to worry less about his future...his medical condition.

This is not a competition...a race between a husband and his wife. This is a gentle walk into a better future for both of us. He isn't leaving me behind. He is just clearing the pathway for me and showing me what I will be able to do very soon. His goals and my goals both reach 'the same point' in the future...a couple of old folks, riding together each day on their bicycles...enjoying a long and healthy life...free of the burden of excess weight and the medical problems which had held them back.

Do any of you have a spouse or friend who is traveling this path with you? Is it a competition or a gentle walk together?

Replies

• stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    My wife and I are losing together. We aren't competing, just moving at our own paces. Though sometimes her congratulations come through mock gritted teeth since my weight loss is much easier and faster than hers, due solely to the fact that guys tend to lose easier than gals.
  • acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,870 Member
    Options
    What a lovely post! :heart: :flowerforyou: :heart:
  • ridofthegoodies
    ridofthegoodies Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    1) They don't make men like they used to.
    2) My partner is very athletic and I am not - he can run 4 to 6 times the distance at twice the speed (without training) while I have to make myself take every step. It's frustrating because I will never be able to keep up with him even though I have been putting in a ton of work improving my own abilities. I just need to measure where I am now compared to where I was in the past and leave him out of the equation entirely because he is in a different category. YOU weigh less than YOU used to, right? That is improvement :happy:
  • cubbies77
    cubbies77 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Ed sounds like a sweetheart. You are very lucky to have a man like him. :)

I keep telling my boyfriend I can't wait to weigh less than he does. He's around 225-230 right now. His "normal" weight is around 170. He said that once I get down to his current weight, he might compete with me. He's VERY competitive by nature and always has to have the top score in video games, the best grades, etc. I'm pretty amused he's going to do that because he really doesn't care about his weight; he just wants to be the best. ;)

In a way, though, I'm glad he might try to beat me to goal. I honestly don't care about his weight. I love him and think he's attractive no matter what he weighs. But at the same time, I do worry about his health, especially because he eats a LOT of sugar.

I think weight loss can be a good thing for couples. I would just explain to Ed that you want to live a long, happy, and healthy life with him, and you will meet him at goal weight soon enough. :)
  • mathildapops
    mathildapops Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I :heart: this :flowerforyou:
    I am resigned to the fact that I will never weigh less than my husband, he is a farmer and is on his feet for at least 14hrs a day. I physically cannot compete with that, I simply do not try. even at my heaviest (around 200lbs) he never made me feel bad, he always made me feel beautiful. Throughout my weightloss journey he has always been here for me, encouraged me when I'm down, exercised with me when he's been exhausted and eaten without complaint all sorts of healthy foods I've made (when he's really fancied pie & chips) and for that I love him more than ever. I could not have got this far without his support :happy:
  • Hanfordrose
    Hanfordrose Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    My wife and I are losing together. We aren't competing, just moving at our own paces. Though sometimes her congratulations come through mock gritted teeth since my weight loss is much easier and faster than hers, due solely to the fact that guys tend to lose easier than gals.

It is just a fact of life...God must know that you fellows have to have it a little easier. Otherwise, he wouldn't have insisted that women have the babies. :laugh:

I am so happy that you and your loving lady can do this at your own pace. Just remember to look back every once in a while and give her some encouragement...and a kiss wouldn't hurt. :wink:
  • Hanfordrose
    Options

Thanks, Sis. (That is what I call all of my lady friends...in this MFP family.) :heart:

I actually did this message as a blog. One of my MFP sisters told me to share it on the message board. I thought that they were the same thing. I'm still knew at this. I just joined MFP a few weeks ago.

My friend was fussing at me this morning to post one of my other blogs about a bad that I was having last week. She likes that way that I write.
  • Hanfordrose
    Options

Actually...God makes all of us the same way, but how we are raised and what we have as examples for life have changed a lot in the past 2 generations. I can pin point the change to one thing more than anything else...television.

I am almost 68 years old. I grew up, when TV was a very new thing. We watched 'Father Knows Best', 'I Love Lucy' and other G Rated programs. As children of that generation, we were taught respect for our parents and all elders. We didn't aspire to be bad. We didn't have people encouraging us to be nasty in our behavior, how we spoke or how we dressed. We still cared about pleasing others, especially our family. We wanted them to be proud of us. We would never disrespect or dishonor our parents with our mouths or our behavior.

Young men were taught to treat ladies of all ages with gentleness and concern. No man of my generation would have said or done some of the rude things that seem so commonly promoted on TV, in the movies or in this culture of 'me first'. The Gimme Generation grew out of televisions promotion of 'things'.

But it isn't just the young men. Young women in my youth knew how to behave with respect for themselves. They expected to be treated as a 'good girl'...not as a tramp...a diva. Those girls weren't 'equals' with men. They held themselves to a higher standard; and by so doing, kept the men around them to that same standard.
    2) My partner is very athletic and I am not - he can run 4 to 6 times the distance at twice the speed (without training) while I have to make myself take every step. It's frustrating because I will never be able to keep up with him even though I have been putting in a ton of work improving my own abilities. I just need to measure where I am now compared to where I was in the past and leave him out of the equation entirely because he is in a different category. YOU weigh less than YOU used to, right? That is improvement :happy:

As of today, I weigh 20 pounds less than I did at Thanksgiving. I am delighted to be losing weigh, but not for any small reason. It means that I am 20 pounds closer to walking without pain again, living without a wheelchair again...and having freedom that is denied me by my bad knees. I would have been content to stay overweight, if I hadn't been crippled by weight and degenerative arithritis. I was never athletic, rarely a normal weight and happily doing and eating as I pleased. However, time and arithritis caught up with me.

By all means, leave your boyfriend out of the equation, when it comes to your fitness and food plan. I will never be like my hubbie. He is a man that has to be moving all the time. He is always looking for something to do. When he doesn't have work, he goes crazy. Happily, I am not like that. I like quiet moments, reading and doing gentler activities...non-sweaty activities. I love my hubbie enough to let him be who he is...to love him and encourage him; and he loves me enough to let me be me. We don't need to compete in any part of our life. We just accept each other...as we are...and with lots of love. :heart: :heart:
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options

Actually...God makes all of us the same way, but how we are raised and what we have as examples for life have changed a lot in the past 2 generations. I can pin point the change to one thing more than anything else...television.

I am almost 68 years old. I grew up, when TV was a very new thing. We watched 'Father Knows Best', 'I Love Lucy' and other G Rated programs. As children of that generation, we were taught respect for our parents and all elders. We didn't aspire to be bad. We didn't have people encouraging us to be nasty in our behavior, how we spoke or how we dressed. We still cared about pleasing others, especially our family. We wanted them to be proud of us. We would never disrespect or dishonor our parents with our mouths or our behavior.

Young men were taught to treat ladies of all ages with gentleness and concern. No man of my generation would have said or done some of the rude things that seem so commonly promoted on TV, in the movies or in this culture of 'me first'. The Gimme Generation grew out of televisions promotion of 'things'.

But it isn't just the young men. Young women in my youth knew how to behave with respect for themselves. They expected to be treated as a 'good girl'...not as a tramp...a diva. Those girls weren't 'equals' with men. They held themselves to a higher standard; and by so doing, kept the men around them to that same standard.

As of today, I weigh 20 pounds less than I did at Thanksgiving. I am delighted to be losing weigh, but not for any small reason. It means that I am 20 pounds closer to walking without pain again, living without a wheelchair again...and having freedom that is denied me by my bad knees. I would have been content to stay overweight, if I hadn't been crippled by weight and degenerative arithritis. I was never athletic, rarely a normal weight and happily doing and eating as I pleased. However, time and arithritis caught up with me.

By all means, leave your boyfriend out of the equation, when it comes to your fitness and food plan. I will never be like my hubbie. He is a man that has to be moving all the time. He is always looking for something to do. When he doesn't have work, he goes crazy. Happily, I am not like that. I like quiet moments, reading and doing gentler activities...non-sweaty activities. I love my hubbie enough to let him be who he is...to love him and encourage him; and he loves me enough to let me be me. We don't need to compete in any part of our life. We just accept each other...as we are...and with lots of love. :heart: :heart:

Wonderful posts, wonderful example of how I believe a loving relationship should be, and good luck to both of you in your goals.
  • Hanfordrose
    Options
    Ed sounds like a sweetheart. You are very lucky to have a man like him. :)

I keep telling my boyfriend I can't wait to weigh less than he does. He's around 225-230 right now. His "normal" weight is around 170. He said that once I get down to his current weight, he might compete with me. He's VERY competitive by nature and always has to have the top score in video games, the best grades, etc. I'm pretty amused he's going to do that because he really doesn't care about his weight; he just wants to be the best. ;)

In a way, though, I'm glad he might try to beat me to goal. I honestly don't care about his weight. I love him and think he's attractive no matter what he weighs. But at the same time, I do worry about his health, especially because he eats a LOT of sugar.

I think weight loss can be a good thing for couples. I would just explain to Ed that you want to live a long, happy, and healthy life with him, and you will meet him at goal weight soon enough. :)

Yes, I am blessed to have Ed be the love of my life. I am so spoiled by his love for me.

As for your competitive boyfriend...let him have his pride. Some men...and even some women...have a need to be 'the winner'. Let him run ahead and break through some invisible tape at the end of his 'invisible race'. The journey that you are on is just for you. Your goals will always be your goals. I have learned to set 'mini goals' along the way to 'big goals'.

I am about to cross over one of my mini goals very soon. 249 pounds is symbolic of a time in my past...a time that I never expected to visit again. 235 pounds will be the next mini goal. It marks the half way point to my new knees. Passing below Ed's weight is still a further on. I will just keep my focus on the next mini goal, until I reach out and touch that big goal.

Then, I guess that I will have to set another big goal...and keep on going. :ohwell:
  • Hanfordrose
    Options
    I am resigned to the fact that I will never weigh less than my husband, he is a farmer and is on his feet for at least 14hrs a day. I physically cannot compete with that, I simply do not try. even at my heaviest (around 200lbs) he never made me feel bad, he always made me feel beautiful. Throughout my weightloss journey he has always been here for me, encouraged me when I'm down, exercised with me when he's been exhausted and eaten without complaint all sorts of healthy foods I've made (when he's really fancied pie & chips) and for that I love him more than ever. I could not have got this far without his support :happy:

That is funny. I once thought about going onto a website that matched up single women with farmers who were looking for wives. It seemed almost like one of those old, mail order bride kind of things. Obviously, this city girl looked but didn't bother making contact with any of the men on that site. I didn't think that I would be much of a farmer's wife. That seemed like too much work. :laugh:

However, God has a good sense of humor. My hubbie was raised on a dairy farm and grew up milking cows, before school every day. There is still a lot of good, ole, redneck farmer in him; and he happily claims to be a redneck. Fortunately for me, the farm boy grew up to be a pastor.

It sounds to me, like you are blessed in your marriage to your farmer hubbie. It is so wonderful to have the loving, support of a good man...farmer or not.

May God continue to bless you both...and give him a piece of pie...once in a while. :heart:
  • clarkeje1
    clarkeje1 Posts: 1,638 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend is finally gaining enough to weigh more than me. He is 6'1 and I'm 5'6 and I've probably weighed more than him for the majority of our relationship (3 years). I'm trying to lose weight, he is trying to gain muscle/mass. Its tough for both of us but we support each other and are slowly making progress :)
  • tndejong
    tndejong Posts: 463
    Options
    its funny in my household right now. i have always weighed more then my fiance. but now im serious about losing weight. and he has been on a health kick cause i am. i am trying to lose weight and because of my eating now, he has to eat more and eat protein bars for the calories to maintain!
  • judykat7
    judykat7 Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    I think that you should restate your goal, so that it is not dependent on what someone else does. It does seem like a contest if your goal is to weigh less than him and you are both losing. It sounds as if he loves you very, very much and wants you to achieve your goals. But... you would not be happy if he gained enough so that you weighed less than him but your goal would be reached. I understand that you both know that isn't the true goal but if that is how it is stated, he has to occasionally think how he could help you attain it.

I weigh more than my skinny *kitten* husband too. We could be close though if I work hard.
  • chellebublz
    chellebublz Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    My fiance and I are KIND OF. He's still a little resistant, even though he does want to lose weight and be healtheir, he's addicted to food so it's very hard for him. He's not to the part where he has the willpower against those foods if they are in the house and he's not to the point where he will work out unless it's walking as a family. But it's all about baby steps! For now, I help him with the food part, encourage him it will get easier, and do my workouts while he's at work (in addition to walking as a family when its nice enough out).
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    I coulnt agree more I love that my fiance has adopted a lot of the changes and it makes it easier for me. He is truly my cheerleader in this battle. He's lost weight so much faster than me, and his changes were minimal such as cutting soda. I'm not resentful I'm proud of him he eats salad everyday, watches his portion sizes, and drinks only diet soda. He looks so good now his tummy is flatter. I love to see the changes! I love seeing his pants falling off.

I've got a long way to go, but would never want him to stop moving foward. I'm glad we can be there for each other. I weigh 150lbs more than him, and can only dream that I would ever weigh less.
  • sugboog29
    sugboog29 Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    Wow...that brought a tear to my eye!! My hubby is my number one supporter and I love him for that...and yes I outweigh him...but right now I'm only 20 pounds heavier!!! SOON I hope to be less!!

Give that man a big hug from your MFP friends....he's a keeper!
  • morielia
    morielia Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    My husband and I rib each other a lot in public, and some dense folks have accused us of not liking each other enough to be married. On the contrary, we rib each other because we love each other too much to describe. I expect my husband to point and laugh when I fall spectacularly on my *kitten* and then be a gentleman and help me up while I call him an *kitten* under my breath. It's just the way we are. So yeah, we compete a bit. We taunt each other when one person ups the weight their lifting. We try to outrun each other on the treadmill or blow by each other on the bike path. But after we're done sprinting it out and one person gives in, we laugh, catch our breath, and keep moving ahead together. We're motivating each other through laughter.
  • BonnieandClyde29
    BonnieandClyde29 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    That is so sweet for both of you!!! Very moving that really touched me :smile: ...My boyfriend is very skinny, and me well, I'm not-so-skinny and I am taller than him by 2 inches...I try really hard not to get insecure about it, but sometimes it can get to me....he knows I want to lose weight, and he wants to gain muscle so we have just been trying to encourage each other and not make other comments, and he tells me I'm beautiful which helps out a lot, and during my journey one day I was SO upset because I had gained 4 lbs back over the holidays, and all he said was is "So what?", I just said awww, that's why your my boyfriend!!! He always tells me weight doesn't matter, but I know he will love it when i lose some more....so yeah basically if my boyfriend didn't like me in the first place (when i was bigger especially) then we wouldn't be dating, so when he says that's not what matters to him i know he is telling the truth, so we try to help each other out along the way, and on occasion we joke and try to make it sound like a competition with no hard feelings or seriousness :smile: Good luck with yalls journey
  • windmillksm
    Options
    My hubbie recently had neck surgery and lost a lot of weight. He was on the scale the other morning and I realized he only outweighed me by 5 lbs. This threw me into full-scale panic mode...