Best cheese for low fat lifestyle

Options
Hi just wondering if anyone from the UK has any recommendations for a cheese replacement, I LOVE cheese so no way am I cutting it out altogether as it would just never work out haha.

I have been buying tescos salad cheese to have with salads etc to bulk it out a bit (I think it is a goats cheese) but I am looking for a cheddar cheese alternative that is quite low in fat, one that I could have on jacket potatoes and pizza etc I have tried a few of the 'diet' cheeses and to be honest they are pretty gross.

Thanks in advance for any replies :)

Replies

• huttondenko
    huttondenko Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I was just looking for advice on the same thing!
    I am making a 'healthy' pizza tonight and wondering what the best cheese to sprinkle on top would be.

So far for other purposes I have been enjoying Dairylea Light triangles and slices, also Lidl Gouda slices are a good replacement for cheddar in a cheese & ham toastie - 60cals a slice and they are bigger than a slice of bread, so you only need 1.5 slices for a toastie.

I've put reduced fat buffalo mozzarella on pizzas but it's quite bland and still fairly high calorie.

Also parmesan is a good one - when it's really finely grated you only need about 10g (40cal) to sprinkle on top of something.

Maybe this chart is of help?
    http://www.superskinnyme.com/calories-in-cheese.html
  • now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    I would suggest just using less of a really good cheese. A really sharp cheddar doesn't require a lot to get the taste. If you get a good cheese you don't need a lot of it to get the taste. I find the texture changes with low fat/low cal cheese and the other crap in them is higher.

Can I ask why you want low fat? You need fat in your diet.
  • Controversial
    Controversial Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Dietary fat will not make you fat, so my answer is ALL OF IT! ;)
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Any of the fake or low-fat versions always taste a bit plasticy to me.

I'd go for a really strong flavoured mature cheddar that you need less of in order to get the cheesey flavour.
  • SteveJWatson
    SteveJWatson Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    cottage. :tongue:
  • leosaunt
    Options
    Have you tried Pilgrims Choice Lower Fat Mature cheese?.. It has not long come out here and is in most supermarkets now. I have tried other Lower Fat cheeses and they are not too good, but this is really tasty and has the right texture.100g is still just over 300 cals, but I found that 30g in an omelette was really good and plenty of taste too.Using parmesan is good for extra taste in other things , I find also.
  • skinnymoomoo
    skinnymoomoo Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I was just looking for advice on the same thing!
    I am making a 'healthy' pizza tonight and wondering what the best cheese to sprinkle on top would be.

So far for other purposes I have been enjoying Dairylea Light triangles and slices, also Lidl Gouda slices are a good replacement for cheddar in a cheese & ham toastie - 60cals a slice and they are bigger than a slice of bread, so you only need 1.5 slices for a toastie.

I've put reduced fat buffalo mozzarella on pizzas but it's quite bland and still fairly high calorie.

Also parmesan is a good one - when it's really finely grated you only need about 10g (40cal) to sprinkle on top of something.

Maybe this chart is of help?
    http://www.superskinnyme.com/calories-in-cheese.html

Thanks for this info :)
    Oh my days I love dairylea cheese, since being a kid, I will never grow out of loving dairylea haha :) I will give that gouda a try as I do love a cheese toasty now and then :D
    I like mozzarella on pizza, if you add loads of herbs and black pepper when it is bubbling away it makes it a bit tastier :) but I love it on its own with tomato drizzled with balsamic vinegar and pesto.
    it's not really the calories I am trying to lower, just the fat :) x
  • skinnymoomoo
    Options
    I would suggest just using less of a really good cheese. A really sharp cheddar doesn't require a lot to get the taste. If you get a good cheese you don't need a lot of it to get the taste. I find the texture changes with low fat/low cal cheese and the other crap in them is higher.

Can I ask why you want low fat? You need fat in your diet.

Yeah I find the texture of low fat/diet cheese is awful.
    Of course I know I need fat in my diet, I'm not wanting to cut it out all together, one thing I have noticed however is even though I can stick to my calories everyday, one thing that is always over in my normal way of eating is fat intake, I'm talking like 50g over, not just a few.

I am not on a diet of any sort, I'm just changing my eating habits for good. This way I can still eat the things I love, just finding alternatives to the really naughty ones. I have my calories set at 1400, and sometimes I go over a little bit, but I have noticed by keeping my fat intake on or just below my recommended amount, that I am losing nicely. (without a drastic change in diet)
  • skinnymoomoo
    Options
    Any of the fake or low-fat versions always taste a bit plasticy to me.

I'd go for a really strong flavoured mature cheddar that you need less of in order to get the cheesey flavour.

I will give this a go, I never really thought about it that way! :/ Thanks :D
  • skinnymoomoo
    Options

ew no it's like eating cold sick ... yuk haha
  • skinnymoomoo
    Options
    Have you tried Pilgrims Choice Lower Fat Mature cheese?.. It has not long come out here and is in most supermarkets now. I have tried other Lower Fat cheeses and they are not too good, but this is really tasty and has the right texture.100g is still just over 300 cals, but I found that 30g in an omelette was really good and plenty of taste too.Using parmesan is good for extra taste in other things , I find also.

I will have a look for this, thanks. I used to buy the normal pilgrims choice extra mature.. very strong and tasty :) I still buy it for the OH, I just don't touch it, but I might be able to do a swap without him noticing haha
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    from Canada here but see if you have Allegro there... its solid cheese and is higher in protein, lower in fat and calories than most brick cheese.
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options

^This.

Second best:

2% part-skim mozzarella. Fat free feta.

And the occasional really good cheese plate for breakfast or lunch with some camembert, Roquefort, Mimolette, goat. But watch the ounces on that and measure up to your calorie allowance.
  • 714rah714
    714rah714 Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    Enjoy the fatty goodness of real cheese
  • skinnymoomoo
    Options
    Enjoy the fatty goodness of real cheese

I would, but then I would also be a fatty too ;)
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    I think the problem is that, atleast here, real cheese is high in fat which I don't really mind but that its high in calories for such a small portion. Even the fat and calorie reduced versions are still high in calories for the size you can eat based on the caloric info on the package.
  • skinnymoomoo
    Options
    from Canada here but see if you have Allegro there... its solid cheese and is higher in protein, lower in fat and calories than most brick cheese.

Thanks I will have a look for it :)
  • skinnymoomoo
    Options
    I think the problem is that, atleast here, real cheese is high in fat which I don't really mind but that its high in calories for such a small portion. Even the fat and calorie reduced versions are still high in calories for the size you can eat based on the caloric info on the package.

yeah it is, very high. maybe someone will bring out a miracle cheese one day that isn't so high in cals or fat. Make a fortune if you could figure it out haha
  • skinnymoomoo
    Options

yeah it is, very high. maybe someone will bring out a miracle cheese one day that isn't so high in cals or fat. Make a fortune if you could figure it out haha

I remember when I first starting logging, I was actually quite shocked by the amount of calories in a normal grated cheese sandwich!!
  • Annewx
    Annewx Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I got the Weight Watchers grated cheddar as it was lowest in fat I could find in cheese section - I also used it to make a pizza with and the texture is definitely different as it doesn't melt like a normal cheese although when it crisps up it is delish!

Last I saw it was on offer in Sainsburys :-)