Best cheese for low fat lifestyle

Options

Replies

• skinnymoomoo
    skinnymoomoo Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I got the Weight Watchers grated cheddar as it was lowest in fat I could find in cheese section - I also used it to make a pizza with and the texture is definitely different as it doesn't melt like a normal cheese although when it crisps up it is delish!

Last I saw it was on offer in Sainsburys :-)

I am sure I have tried that stuff, I remember it melting weirdly. It's also quite powdery as it's pre-grated isn't it? x
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    I think the problem is that, atleast here, real cheese is high in fat which I don't really mind but that its high in calories for such a small portion. Even the fat and calorie reduced versions are still high in calories for the size you can eat based on the caloric info on the package.

yeah it is, very high. maybe someone will bring out a miracle cheese one day that isn't so high in cals or fat. Make a fortune if you could figure it out haha

Yeah really! lol!
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    I think the problem is that, atleast here, real cheese is high in fat which I don't really mind but that its high in calories for such a small portion. Even the fat and calorie reduced versions are still high in calories for the size you can eat based on the caloric info on the package.

yeah it is, very high. maybe someone will bring out a miracle cheese one day that isn't so high in cals or fat. Make a fortune if you could figure it out haha

I remember when I first starting logging, I was actually quite shocked by the amount of calories in a normal grated cheese sandwich!!

I know. I love extra cheese - the real stuff - a lot but 1/3 cup of shredded marble is like 120 cals. Not even enough cheese for half a sandwich!!!
  • nekoface
    nekoface Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I like boursin portions. They aren't fat free, but come in individually wrapped small portions. 66 cals and 7g of fat per portion.

edited to add: they taste creamy and great and satisfy cheese cravings. One portion is enough for a substantial sandwich.
  • AvsFreak
    AvsFreak Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Enjoy the fatty goodness of real cheese

I would, but then I would also be a fatty too ;)

No you won't, unless you eat too many calories. Dietary fat is essential for health. Just eat regular cheese.
  • skinnymoomoo
    Options
    I like boursin portions. They aren't fat free, but come in individually wrapped small portions. 66 cals and 7g of fat per portion.

edited to add: they taste creamy and great and satisfy cheese cravings. One portion is enough for a substantial sandwich.

I have never seen those. I love the garlic and herb boursin :)
  • porkchop_13
    Options
    cottage cheese is great and tastes good with just about any fruit or veggie!
  • skinnymoomoo
    Options
    cottage cheese is great and tastes good with just about any fruit or veggie!

I can't stand it :(
  • lambertj
    lambertj Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    Enjoy the fatty goodness of real cheese

I would, but then I would also be a fatty too ;)

No you won't, unless you eat too many calories. Dietary fat is essential for health. Just eat regular cheese.

He speaks the truth.
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    Best to be eaten as it comes/ grated is Wyke Superlight, but that is still only half fat and doesn't melt that well (works in some things not in others). Otherwise low fat cheddars are all rubbery, that is the nature of the casein protein. I also eat Tesco reduced fat halloumi dry fried in a pan - it is rubbery and salty but I like it for some reason .... Laughing Cow blue triangles and Tesco extra light soft cheese plain or flavoured.
  • tegantheaverage
    tegantheaverage Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I usually use Cathedral City Mature Lighter slices for 62 calories a slice but I just discovered Leerdammer Lightlife which is 54 calories a slice. I always buy the pre-sliced cheese even though it works out more expensive by volume (and even though I insist on buying EVERYTHING else in bulk) to make portion control that bit easier because cheese is soooo easy to keep eating!
  • tegantheaverage
    tegantheaverage Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    The Tesco light mozzarella balls are really nice, too!
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    I agree with everybody who has said to try stronger tasting cheese. You really do need seem to need less of them. Pecorino shavings are nice in salads. You won't get the same bulk, but you can add bulk with other things. I find that olives and beetroot (I buy the ready-cooked kind, either in vinegar or without) taste substantial but aren't bad for calories.

I do sometimes like the low-fat cheddar though, as it tends to burn when it cooks and I like that if I'm having toasted cheese (a rare treat these days, but I make it easier to calorie count by buying ready-sliced cheese - usually about 100 calories or so per slice for the full-fat version).

As somebody else said, the reduced fat halloumi isn't bad, and it's nice warm in a salad after browning it. I think it's the saltiness which makes it nice!
  • skinnymoomoo
    Options
    I usually use Cathedral City Mature Lighter slices for 62 calories a slice but I just discovered Leerdammer Lightlife which is 54 calories a slice. I always buy the pre-sliced cheese even though it works out more expensive by volume (and even though I insist on buying EVERYTHING else in bulk) to make portion control that bit easier because cheese is soooo easy to keep eating!

Oh yeah cheese is very easy to over eat on. I think I might start buying pre-sliced too. Is leerdammer not a bit tasteless though?? It doesn't look very tasty haha. That's a good idea though with the sliced stuff, thanks.
  • skinnymoomoo
    Options
    I agree with everybody who has said to try stronger tasting cheese. You really do need seem to need less of them. Pecorino shavings are nice in salads. You won't get the same bulk, but you can add bulk with other things. I find that olives and beetroot (I buy the ready-cooked kind, either in vinegar or without) taste substantial but aren't bad for calories.

I do sometimes like the low-fat cheddar though, as it tends to burn when it cooks and I like that if I'm having toasted cheese (a rare treat these days, but I make it easier to calorie count by buying ready-sliced cheese - usually about 100 calories or so per slice for the full-fat version).

As somebody else said, the reduced fat halloumi isn't bad, and it's nice warm in a salad after browning it. I think it's the saltiness which makes it nice!

I thought olives were quite high cal and fat :/ someone told me that, so I cut down on them a lot, I still eat them, but not as much as I want to haha

Yes the pre-sliced cheese sounds a good idea for sticking with portion control.

I love halloumi so I will give that a go in a salad for sure! :)
  • skinnymoomoo
    Options
    Best to be eaten as it comes/ grated is Wyke Superlight, but that is still only half fat and doesn't melt that well (works in some things not in others). Otherwise low fat cheddars are all rubbery, that is the nature of the casein protein. I also eat Tesco reduced fat halloumi dry fried in a pan - it is rubbery and salty but I like it for some reason .... Laughing Cow blue triangles and Tesco extra light soft cheese plain or flavoured.

I will have a look for that also, I have seen normal wykes but not that one. I lurve halloumi, It's lovely as a kebab on a BBQ ;)
  • Healthydiner65
    Healthydiner65 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    I agree that you should use the best cheese you can afford and use less.
  • footiechick82
    footiechick82 Posts: 1,203 Member
    Options
    La vache qui rit... or the Laughing cow light or 50% less fat

I like those :)
  • shutterbug282
    shutterbug282 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    I've been having laughing cow light cheese, or if I really want proper cheese, ASDA do some slices of various cheeses. I think one slice is about 80cals :)
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    There's one called low low... Think it's by Kerry. Sell it in all major UK supermarkets. It's good but I still have real cheese... Just weigh it out and grate it... X