Does anyone get frustrated watching The Biggest Loser?

Options
Because they lose SO much weight, SO quickly? I feel like it sets a bad example for people trying to lose weight the healthy way, 1-2 lbs a week. I'm happy for them when they do lose the weight because it is so life changing, but I often wonder for them how sustainable it can be when they get home. Just wanted to start a bit of conversation.

Replies

• SVCat
    SVCat Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    I don't get frustrated. Up until this year, I hadn't been able to watch a single show because I couldn't bear to see them struggle so much that it got to me. This year I've been able to celebrate their victories achieved via all that effort they put in.

You have to keep in mind that these people are under medical supervision with excellent personal trainers and it's basically their job to lose weight. These people aren't your normal run of the mill slightly obese Americans...as for sustainable weight loss, I do wonder how suceptible they are.
  • wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,780 Member
    Options
    here's how i avoid being frustrated by TV shows.

i don't watch.

:-)
  • fadedimage
    fadedimage Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I've wondered about the healthy weight loss amount per week too but you have to remember, there are trainers and doctors there watching their moves and bodies to ensure it's safe. If it wasn't safe, they wouldn't do it.
  • Dawnymaries
    Options
    Frustrated, no, but I do wonder about their techniques. Specifically Jillian, who, when people are passing out and puking all over the place, is still yelling at them to keep going. Sorry, but there is only so much the body can handle when it is not conditioned for exercise. Push yourself, yes, but not to the point where you lose consciousness.

I think they overdo everything, and don't consider the health of the contestants enough. Apparently they have doctors standing by if something happens, but that doesn't mean you should keep pushing until something does happen.

Yes, it will be harder for them once they go home, but I think that would be true anyway. Without someone telling you to do this every single day, and having to stay motivated yourself... it's always going to be a challenge. I think that having been there at all would be incredibly motivating, though.
  • missxlaur
    missxlaur Posts: 286
    Options
    That's true. It is sort of their job to lose weight. That's all they have going on. I also like the focus on childhood obesity and its causes this season. I think that's great for American to become even more aware of.

And I know that to avoid being frustrated I just shouldn't watch - but sometimes I pick up on exercises I'd like to try, and listening to the trainers does provide some motivation.
  • corrinnebrown
    Options
    They also work out 8 hours a day and eat 1200 calories. And these people are crazy over weight.
  • beautifulbeast11
    beautifulbeast11 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    They workout all day, with trainers, nutritionist, medical staff... of course they lose quickly.

I think viewers need to be aware of that, therefore will not have the same expectations for themselves doing it 'alone'.

It's the same when seeing celebrities after they have had a baby or suddently lost a lot of weight... I used to get frustrated, BUT if I could hire multiple trainers, a cook, a nutritionist, AND not have to work a 'normal' day job... then sure, I could do it too.
  • SummerNights32
    SummerNights32 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I get frustrated by the people who whine and cry the entire time. Thousands of people would do ANYTHING to have that opportunity, yet some people on the show seem like they couldn't care less if they threw it away.
  • missxlaur
    Options

I think they overdo everything, and don't consider the health of the contestants enough. Apparently they have doctors standing by if something happens, but that doesn't mean you should keep pushing until something does happen.

Totally agree with this. They have a very all-or-nothing mentality about everything - about eating, about exercise. Good point.
  • beautifulbeast11
    beautifulbeast11 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I get frustrated by the people who whine and cry the entire time. Thousands of people would do ANYTHING to have that opportunity, yet some people on the show seem like they couldn't care less if they threw it away.

This is why I was glad to see the latest person get booted.
  • missxlaur
    Options

Agreed!
  • agggie550
    agggie550 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Jillian can be a little rough on them, but when you have spent a good portion of your life being unhealthy or using your weight as an excuse to be bad at something there comes a point when you need someone to help you get out of your own way, ot push your through were you "think" you are working as hard as you can. Its always important to be safe when exercising, but sometimes you have to push the envelop right up to that line.
  • crazybookworm
    crazybookworm Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    Yes, I do get frustrated. I understand these people are very overweight and maybe at their breaking point, but being at the Biggest Loser Ranch doesn't set you up for "real" life when they are back at home. That's why a lot of them unfortunately gain their weight back.

They are losing so much so quickly because they are working out 6-7 hours A DAY! That's insane. They stop every 2 hours to eat and then start working out again. Their groceries are purchased for them and they are fully stocked with healthy foods. Of course they are going to be successful when they have everything at their fingertips at no cost to them.

I much rather watch Chris Powell on Extreme Makeover Weight Loss Edition. Atleast he is helping each person with day to day struggles that come with weight loss.
  • mrsjas2000
    mrsjas2000 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    I love the show and very much enjoy watching there progress and seeing the happiness return to their lives, but they are also away from home where all they have to do is eat right and exercise, we have to fit everything into the real world work, kids etc.
  • missxlaur
    Options
    And I think frustrated might have not been the right word in my initial post. I think I'm mainly questioning the real-life application of their methods and whether or not they can be sustainable
  • maab_connor
    maab_connor Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    no. i understand that they're pulling these numbers b/c they're able to spend 8 hours working out, their diet is strictly managed and they have a team of doctors there watching over. also, not every episode is showing a week. some episodes are as much as two weeks.

as for the sustainability - they have great percentages, and i think that a lot of that is that they have the theraputic aspect as well. the one-on-one time w/ the trainers where they get to the actual core of the problem. also, the ppl who they choose for the show are clearly showing signs of addictive personality, the most successful contestants are the ones who switch the addiction from food to a hard work out.
  • Clhumpal
    Clhumpal Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I like the show mostly for the contestants' stories, seeing their struggle and how they get through it is inspiring to me - honestly, I DVR and start watching at least an hour after it actually starts, and sometimes fast forward through the weigh-in to get to the 'at home update' from the person that went home. The 'pounds lost' part isn't what interests me...

I almost said f*** it after Cate was sent home, and quit watching.... I really liked her :)
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    No, because its a show, so I know that a lot of what we see is manipulated for ratings. The reason I like to watch is to see the transformations at the end, particularly the change in their self-confidence and (non-physical) strength!

It does make me sad when I see people post on here that they expect to be able to obtain the same type of results in a short amount of time though!
  • KirstenW1224
    KirstenW1224 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    When I was an athlete (oh the good old days) competing to Play division 1 tennis, we had our butts kicked EVERY DAY. And we threw up and worked out a ton.

Jillian gets them out of her own head, it's great. Someone has to yell at them, because they didn't yell at themselves.

They also don't work out 8 hours a day. It's a show remember that.

I will agree that yes it's on TV and they need ratings so it's dramatic. But this weight loss IS dramatic. Good for them for putting up with it.

We could all look amazing - like celebs - if our job was to work out!

I say enjoy the show, take it with a grain of salt, and smile :)
  • sjmitchner
    sjmitchner Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Also remember they edit the show together to show drama. Yes they work hard and it seems like some of them are always complaining or crying or that Jillian is always yelling. It is highly unlikely that the edited together film that we see is true to life in every way. I do find inspiration in those who work hard and get it done. I know my workouts aren't as hard, so I figure if they can do it, I can handle my exercises.