Does anyone get frustrated watching The Biggest Loser?

Options

Replies

• MooMooooo
    MooMooooo Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I dislike watching them do the really tough exercises - it's just not fun viewing.

I get frustrated when they DON'T lose weight - on Aussie Biggest Loser this happens and sometimes they even GAIN.

Not sure if this is true on the USA version but in the Oz version the contestants have plenty of access to food - they busted the biggest contestant in Biggest Loser Australia history eating lots of nuts in bed at night. They couldn't figure out why his losses were small to non-existant.

Another was kicked off in the same season for drinking alcohol.

So yeah, seeing the backsliding is super annoying - I want to get behind them but they are not all created equal.
  • KeepGoingRhonda
    KeepGoingRhonda Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    I must admit I love watching BL....but I also get very frustrated how they Push these overweight , out of shape people...it's dangerous when you see them falling down or passing out. I must also admit though I would love to see a huge loss like that just ONE time!!! lol But that won't happen because I am not willing to do what they do to lose the weight. Their success rate is not that great with contestants actually keeping off the weight long term.
  • bmiller211
    bmiller211 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I get frustrated by the people who whine and cry the entire time. Thousands of people would do ANYTHING to have that opportunity, yet some people on the show seem like they couldn't care less if they threw it away.
    omg yes My wife and I talk about that every show and almost stop watching cause of that and the whole psychology part with Jillian trying to play doctor to their minds...she is a trainer right??!!:explode: :grumble: :mad:
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    I don not watch BL. It is a joke and completely misleading.

I also hate Jillian for being a part of the show.
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    I get frustrated watching any show with commercial breaks!
    That's why I don't watch TV, except through Netflix.
  • wildcata77
    Options
    I just don't watch it.

One of our goals in 2013 is to pare down how much TV we watch. So we're cutting cable after March Madness and giving ourselves incentive to go outside and play.
  • Silvara_11
    Silvara_11 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Been watching Biggest Loser for years now and I always find it very funny at the start of the season as the really obese contestants try and do challenges that require balancing themselves on something most normal size people find easy.

Then I watch the girls get to my weight and then my goal weight and by Finale time half of these funny fat people are fitter than me and I feel quite sad.

This year I've promised myself that I'll get to my goal weight by Finale time so yes I find it frustrating that I've lost 5 lbs in 3 weeks and the women on the show have drooped 15 + . But then I remind myself:
    1) That I only have 30 lbs to loose while they have 3 to 6 times that.
    2) I have a very demanding full time job which means I wake up at 5 am to get my burn in, am sleep deprived and retaining water.
    3) I can still go out and socialize with my friends (and do) at the expense of my diet, while they can't.

I'm buying a new dress for the Biggest Loser (US) finale and I live in the UK. Why not I'll be at my goal weight I'm just going to keep at it!!
  • Saaaam42
    Saaaam42 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Those people are majorly overweight - losing is easier and more rapid. Once they get closer to the end of the season, and even last week, they only lose about 3 pounds a week.
  • SlickFootAnna
    SlickFootAnna Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Because they lose SO much weight, SO quickly?

No. Scretchmarks galore? Saggy skin?
    Well, I don't watch tv to begin with but if I had to think of reasons why I don't get frustrated, these would be them.
  • laserturkey
    laserturkey Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    Been watching Biggest Loser for years now and I always find it very funny at the start of the season as the really obese contestants try and do challenges that require balancing themselves on something most normal size people find easy.

Then I watch the girls get to my weight and then my goal weight and by Finale time half of these funny fat people are fitter than me and I feel quite sad.

This year I've promised myself that I'll get to my goal weight by Finale time so yes I find it frustrating that I've lost 5 lbs in 3 weeks and the women on the show have drooped 15 + . But then I remind myself:
    1) That I only have 30 lbs to loose while they have 3 to 6 times that.
    2) I have a very demanding full time job which means I wake up at 5 am to get my burn in, am sleep deprived and retaining water.
    3) I can still go out and socialize with my friends (and do) at the expense of my diet, while they can't.

I'm buying a new dress for the Biggest Loser (US) finale and I live in the UK. Why not I'll be at my goal weight I'm just going to keep at it!!

It's also important to know that a "week" on that show is generally much more than 7 days. Trying to keep up with the contestants' losses along with the show as it airs would be madness.
  • annemw333
    Options
    Honestly, I don't find it all that frustrating. The people on the Biggest Loser have large amounts of weight to lose so dropping that much weight that fast is not as unhealthy for them as it would be for someone with just 20-30 lbs to lose. When you have that much excess body weight to lose, it's a totally different ball game.

What does sort of frustrate me is that the life they live "on the ranch" is unrealistic in that all they do is exercise all day and have very controlled food intake. For most people, that is just not feasible. Exercise must be worked around jobs, kids, and other commitments and food sometimes has to be eaten on the run.
  • greypilgrimess
    greypilgrimess Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I love the show, I eon't get frustrated though I remind myself frequently that it's not healthy or normal to lose weight like they do. I don't expect nor want to lose weight at that pace. It is not sustainable in 'real life', but I do believe it makes many of the contestants realise ways they can take control of their weight and lives.

I watch it partly for the enetrtainment, but mostly for the inspiration and motivation. I never just sit and watch an episode... I'll drop onto the floor and do push-ups, sit-ups, lunges, squats... whatever. If they can work out so can I. Plus I love seeing the before and after comparisons... if they can get these awesome bodies by the finale so can I!
  • cubbies77
    cubbies77 Posts: 607 Member
    Options

I get frustrated by the people who whine and cry the entire time. Thousands of people would do ANYTHING to have that opportunity, yet some people on the show seem like they couldn't care less if they threw it away.
    omg yes My wife and I talk about that every show and almost stop watching cause of that

See how you feel after eating 1200 calories and exercising for 6-8 hours per day, while dehydrated/in pain/puking/passing out, all while getting screamed at, for weeks on end. I bet $10 you whine at least once or twice or maybe even cry at the end of the day.

They're human. Just because they're on a stupid reality show doesn't mean they aren't allowed to have emotions. What they're being put through is exhausting and a total mindf*ck. I don't blame them for crying.
  • CVesta81
    CVesta81 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Remember, most of the contenders on "The Biggest Loser" are usually morbidly obese. The further away you are from your ideal weight, the easier it is to lose weight. Now don't get me wrong, what the contestants are doing on the show is nothing short of difficult. But it is easier to lose 10 pounds in a week when you are 100 pounds overweight, than to lose 10 pounds if you are say 30 pounds overweight. How many times do we plateau once we get somewhat close to our goal weight? I just see the show as motivation because if they are able to achieve their goals to lose so much more weight than me, why I can't I lose 40 lbs?
  • Siege_Tank
    Siege_Tank Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    madness.

Madness? THIS IS SPARTA!
  • stephdeeable
    stephdeeable Posts: 1,407 Member
    Options
    Sunday nights are reserved for Dexter, Bad Girls Club or Game of Thrones. The Biggest Loser can suck my toe.
  • chelchelt
    chelchelt Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    It doesnt get to me because I know they have trainers and nutritionists and doctors there plus they work out probably 10 times more then we do. While they're there they only have to focus on weight loss, while those of us out here in the real world have other things to do.
  • mconway79
    mconway79 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I am the opposite. I find it totally motivating! I know they lose a lot but are watched 24 hours a day by doctors and trainers. I see the changes they achieve and it makes me want to try. I know I will not see the same results but it shows me what I can do over a longer period of time :happy:
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    I despise the Biggest Loser. I think it teaches people to have unrealistic expectations, sets an example that is unsustainable and makes people think they must exercise until they collapse/puke.

Slow and steady and moderate wins the race in real life.
  • InstantSunshine
    InstantSunshine Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Yes, but only because of the incessant bloody shouting. All the bloody time. Can't they just do it quietly for a bit?