Anxiety at the gym...

Options
I'm having the hardest time getting over myself here. Talk me down off the ledge please.

I got serious about weight loss on Oct.1, 2012 and have logged on MFP everyday since then. I'm OCD and brutally honest about my tracking. I manage a calorie budget, but not always a clean eater. I'm losing about 1 lb a week lately, so I must be doing something right.

Here's my problem. I recently joined a small gym close to the house. It's one room that's about 6,000 square feet. One side has heavy lifting stuff, other side has cardio and circuit machines in the middle. First couple visits I worked out, there was no one around and I was comfortable. I decided to pack a bag and go right after work yesterday because it's hard to leave the house once I go home.

So I walk in and the place has 12 buff men milling around and the only other woman there is a serious lifter with her bf(and she's hot). It felt like all eyeballs turned my direction when I walked in the door. Stage fright would be an understatement, LOL

I'm 5'5", 215 right now and feel sooooo self-conscious that I want to disappear into the walls. I climbed on the treadmill and walked a 20 min mile @ 3.5mph. I then went to the Gravitron machine and did 3 sets x20 of chin ups and dips using about 14% of my body weight. I also did some hamstring curls and 3 sets of hip adductor machine.

By this point, I've been there an hour and worked up a sweat. I wanted to do some squats, but my anxiety kept me from walking to the free weight side. I realize I sound like a head case here, but how the heck do I get over myself? I guess I just push through it and keep going until I can relax?

Has anyone else started out feeling this way, and found themselves laughing about it down the road? I know it should not matter what other's think, but I imagined some of those buff dudes were silently thinking "maybe the fat-*kitten* should try running instead of walking!"

I found myself having second thoughts about joining the gym last night, and I KNOW it was a necessary move towards progress. UGH... just smack me out of this negative mindset.

Replies

• aelunyu
    aelunyu Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    Think about it like this...the "buff" guys respect girls that squat, press, deadlift and all that. They really do. If you were to walk over, part them in half and dash straight for the squat rack, you'd get curious looks of intrigue. No one is judging you unless you are judging yourself. I know that feeling. I really messed up my lower back and had to take 9 months off from the gym..when I returned I had old friends making fun of my tiny frame. I really didn't want to go anymore. But once they saw the effort i was putting into just squatting a little bit of weight, they knew I'd be back in no time...and I was.

In the case that these buff guys are meatheads, they are probably more insecure than you are. (did my bicep shrink 1/18th of an inch since last week???, why did I only get 6 reps today when I got 8 last time!??!?!). We are a paranoid lot....and sometimes wish we had the courage to not care, as well.

I hope you do make it over to the squat rack, and get through your workout and feel good doing it. Once you've been around the gym for a few weeks, you'll be a staple. You'll feel right at home.
  • MissKalhan
    MissKalhan Posts: 2,282 Member
    Options
    Haha big time! The first time I went into the free weight section here when I moved(I was friends with the guys in my hometown) I felt like a total alien! You don't get stared at, you just feel like you are. Just keep doing your thing and do your squats! If they are paying attention then they'll get to watch your transformation too! :)
  • Misseena
    Misseena Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Even if they see you, they probably won't judge you.
    Even if they judge you, they probably won't remember you.
    Even if they remember you, just think how much you're going to impress them as you progress!

I definitely understand the anxiety though, and I wish you all the best!
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    yeah I called it gymtimidation

here's the thing though, seriously - picking up the barbell requires 150% of my concentration. If I concentrate AT ALL on ANYONE else nearby, my form goes to utter crap and I can seriously hurt myself or at least look like a complete idgit.

get hell bent on making a reputation for yourself there. People there wont really care about you until yall start nodding hello at each other. If you wont interact with anyone, no one will interact with you. but seriously, no one cares. I know that sounds harsh, but we are all SO INTENT on our workouts and our own inner conflict and voices in our heads to notice a shortie walk into the gym.

I swear on all the weight Ive lost.

Decide to make this place your Batcave. ITS YOURS! You own piece of it, so OWN IT.
  • iAMsmiling
    iAMsmiling Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    Nothing to be done for it but to do it (as usual).

There are jerks everywhere in life, but I haven't run across many at gyms. Everyone there is working hard and most everyone will respect your hard work, knowing we're all headed to some goal and we all have to start somewhere.
  • Maxibris
    Maxibris Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I always feel this way when I go to the gym. I go to the gym at my university and its always packed with really hot people just showing off.

I talked about my anxiety to my mum and the fact that I was worried about people looking at me and judging me, my mom's response was a little strange but it actually was kind of an eye opener. She goes: "You are so self centered, what's so special about you in a gym that anyone would pay more attention to you than themselves?"

It made me realize that it's pretty much just all in my head and everyone is focusing on their own workout, not whether the fatass is walking instead of running.
  • courtneydeewalk
    Options
    I understand how you feel. The free weights are pretty intimidating. My husband is a Marine and we worked out on base, and I would never even go over to the free weight section to tell him something. haha. We recently got stationed elsewhere and have a Y membership... I have done a few workouts with my husband in the free weight section but sill felt self conscious going by myself. Eventually... I started getting comfortable per workout. Now I feel good doing most of my upper body workouts in the free weight room. Most people tend to be more interested in their own workout than yours. It may take some time, but you'll get there. You can try going during non-rush hours to build your confidence. :o) Good luck to you, dear.
  • melbogg
    melbogg Posts: 135
    Options
    I always feel this way when I go to the gym. I go to the gym at my university and its always packed with really hot people just showing off.

I talked about my anxiety to my mum and I the fact was worried about people looking at me and judging me, my mom's response was a little strange but it actually was kind of an eye opener. She goes: "You are so self centered, what's so special about you in a gym that anyone would pay more attention to you than themselves?"

It made me realize that it's pretty much just all in my head and everyone is focusing on their own workout, not whether the fatass is walking instead of running.

well said! your mum is awesome
  • adenium11
    adenium11 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I have had this anxiety.. I work out at a LARGE gym and theres "buff meatheads" everywhere and actually.. they were the easiest to work with once I got on my big pants! The young "im so awesome but have bad lifting habits" are the harder ones.. And now.. I just stand up and say what I need to. I ask for machines or if they are being used etc. I go in with the idea that THIS IS MY GYM TOO! And Im here lifting more then some of you men so PLease.. get out of my way! And yes.. the only other women are super hot..lol

Just find your " Im better then all of you " pants.. we all have them somewhere..and head in there! They often dont even notice a person.. bc like you they are to busy working on their bodies ;)
  • dare2love81
    dare2love81 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    yeah I called it gymtimidation

here's the thing though, seriously - picking up the barbell requires 150% of my concentration. If I concentrate AT ALL on ANYONE else nearby, my form goes to utter crap and I can seriously hurt myself or at least look like a complete idgit.

get hell bent on making a reputation for yourself there. People there wont really care about you until yall start nodding hello at each other. If you wont interact with anyone, no one will interact with you. but seriously, no one cares. I know that sounds harsh, but we are all SO INTENT on our workouts and our own inner conflict and voices in our heads to notice a shortie walk into the gym.

I swear on all the weight Ive lost.

Decide to make this place your Batcave. ITS YOURS! You own piece of it, so OWN IT.

This is so full of win.

OP: Keep in mind that even though they appear intimidating, they're likely too focused on their own workouts to concern themselves with what you're doing or not doing. And I can't speak for all gyms, but I know at mine, when a woman walks into the free weights section, she's automatically respected. As long as you're not over there lifting 2lb dumbbells and fluffing your hair in the mirror, you'll be fine. :flowerforyou:
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,662 Member
    Options
    Think about it like this...the "buff" guys respect girls that squat, press, deadlift and all that.

hell even seeing a woman pick up a dumbell is impressive.
  • Shivpea
    Shivpea Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I often feel that way too but I guess most people are insecure on some level. When I started going I just braved it at the beginning, it was hard but worth it when I finished my workout. It'll get easier in time!
  • kristanb05
    Options
    This is exactly why I hid from the gym for so long (dx GAD). It's also the reason I selected a small gym affiliated with a local hospital (all age ranges of people, and abilities range from the elderly just walking or riding a stationary bike to meatheads). What I've found is that nobody REALLY cares what you're doing as long as you're doing something. Keep moving, keep improving. Before you know it, you'll be chatting it up and saying hello to people you see often. You might learn something from them and they might learn from you. I'm not the skinny girl, I'm not the fast girl, but I'm the sweaty girl who pushes through her cardio and isn't afraid to break into the squat rack or ask if someone is finished with the chest press. I do MY thing and they do THEIRS.

Going into the gym with a game plan of first I'm going to do x, then y, then Z.... made things easier. I knew exactly what I was there to do and how I was going to do it. Now I go in with my head held high and know that I'm going to walk out better than when I walked in. (And if you can ACT like you belong there, even if you don't believe it's true at first, people will get that vibe from you as well.)

And honestly, when I see people bigger than me who are there busting their *kitten* I totally look for them to be there again. There are a few that I see keep coming back. I totally respect those people. There are far too many that you see once or twice and never again.
  • BlueInkDot
    BlueInkDot Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    I have a feeling that a high percentage of us here at MFP will understand EXACTLY how you feel. It is intimidating. You feel like you're really putting yourself out there. But that's a part of this journey. In order to make a change for the better, you actually have to get down and dirty into "THIS IS HOW I AM NOW" because you can only move forward from WHERE YOU ARE NOW. You can't fool yourself into thinking you're any better than you really are. If you can lift that weight, great - and if you can't, well then you can't. It's a reality that really hits you and makes you feel self-concious. We understand. We've all been there - in fact it's where I am now. It's very difficult.

But, like yoovie said, it's time to take that "who you are now" and MOVE FORWARD AND MAKE IT BETTER. And the only way to do that is to (1) BELIEVE THAT YOU CAN DO IT (2) COMMIT TO IT and (3) MAKE IT HAPPEN.

It's tough but we gotta do it if we want to make this happen. Thanks for posting because it's exactly how I feel and I really need to take my own advice too!! Haha :tongue:
  • Shivpea
    Shivpea Posts: 58 Member
    Options

I talked about my anxiety to my mum and the fact that I was worried about people looking at me and judging me, my mom's response was a little strange but it actually was kind of an eye opener. She goes: "You are so self centered, what's so special about you in a gym that anyone would pay more attention to you than themselves?"

Just read your reply and it makes perfect sense! I often feel people are looking at me in the gym as well, but next time I'm definitely going to remember this! Thanks!
  • janettheriault
    Options
    The gym IS an intimidating place! I'm new to this whole working out in public thing too, I still have moments where I feel uncomfortable, like I just don't belong with all the fit people, running and jumping around, never breaking a sweat! but to be honest, I just tell myself to push through it. Losing weight and being healthy is my goal and I refuse to let anyone make me feel embarrassed. It really is just a matter of feeling comfortable in your own skin. Everyone is at the gym for the same reason, to get fit. And nobody looks hot when they're covered in sweat, makeup smeared, smelling like b.o., not even the "beautiful" people lol :)
  • DMZ_1
    DMZ_1 Posts: 2,889 Member
    Options
    Most people are too self absorbed in their own workouts to notice you. Do what you need to at the gym to get the results you want.
  • By this point, I've been there an hour and worked up a sweat. I wanted to do some squats, but my anxiety kept me from walking to the free weight side. I realize I sound like a head case here, but how the heck do I get over myself? I guess I just push through it and keep going until I can relax?

Oh, hunny, I know how this feels!! I've never worked out because I was too self-conscious to step into a gym with all those fit and buff people. I finally found a gym where mostly middle-aged people work-out and are serious about their business.

It took me a WHOLE YEAR of cardio before I dared step onto the free-weight section. I finally did it yesterday!! I had a great instructor who showed me everything without passing judgement.

I figured that if I keep doing this (the weight-lifting) that in one more year people will look at me the same way I did at all those fit people. Just do it and screw (pardon me) the rest!!!
  • jenfoxjercha
    jenfoxjercha Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Oh how I completely understand this feeling. When I started to work out I knew that everyone was watching my every move. Those same guys are at the gym today and I don't even think they know I exist. Some say hi in the morning but most just do their thing.
    I also started training jiu jitsu last year. I train with almost all guys and they are all much younger than myself. I had some confidence since my instructor was working with me on my weight loss for about 10 months before starting but still they are stonger and younger. Those same guys now push me to be better and celebrate my small victories with me.
    Get in there and do it!!! One thing my instructor reminds me is that those same guys that are buff are not as flexible as me so there are things I can do that they can't.
  • Maxibris
    Maxibris Posts: 61 Member
    Options

Just read your reply and it makes perfect sense! I often feel people are looking at me in the gym as well, but next time I'm definitely going to remember this! Thanks!

I'm glad my mum being so blunt could help!