First Half Marathon

Options
13»

Replies

• HypersonicFitNess
    HypersonicFitNess Posts: 1,219 Member
    Options
    Um, yep...I am training for my first Half which is March 24th - Charlotte Half at the Charlotte Motor Speedway.

I finished Hal Higdon's 12 week program (will be running 13.1 tomorrow for the first time ever); I am now switching over to a different schedule for the remainder of the time from a book that was recommended to me by some marathon runners.

Road racing for serious runners By Pete Pfitzinger, Scott Douglas

I have already incorporated the VO2 max drills in once per week from that book for the last month, and will start incorporating Lactate-Threshold, speed drills, and trial runs. I have already been averaging around 21 miles per week (running 4x per week): I do one long run, two medium runs and the one short run is the VO2 max drills or has been.

Now I'll be doing a long run, a medium-long run, a medium run (easy run), and either VO2 max drill or speed drill, and the Lactate-Threshold, trial run or tempo run for a total of 5 runs per week.

Here is another site I found recently from a MFP pal...

http://www.nomeatathlete.com/how-to-run-long/

I hope you have some good shoes; if not go to a running store and get fitted for some proper running shoes (based on your running gate, etc).
  • daylily2005
    daylily2005 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I'm training for a half, though I don't know when I'm going to run one. I AM however running a 10 miler in April--getting the mileage in the next couple of weeks, then hopefully working on time!
  • rosarenee1
    rosarenee1 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Me! I've been a runner since May. I typically try to do 3x a week, usually 3 miles and one longer run (5-7). Now that it's so cold, I've only done once a week. I'm starting my 12 week training for my first half this week. So snow be damned, I'll be out there running! My half is on May 5th - The Pittsburgh Marathon! I'd love to add any fellow first timers too!
  • jennieb75
    jennieb75 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I'm running my first half on May 5... the BMO Vancouver half marathon! :) Very nervous but excited too! I started running in the fall of 2010 and got up to a 10km race in April 2011 but sidelined myself when I got pregnant with twins. Didn't restart running until last fall and once I did my first 5km race in December I quickly upped the training and made a half marathon my 2013 goal. At this rate though, I might run a couple this year (depending on how the first one goes. lol). :)
    I generally run on the weekends and when I have babysitting... so about 3 times a week. I've started strength training and I'm going to make my shorter run more of a training/interval type run. Then one moderate length and then my weekend long run (to get up to the 21km length). I have 12 more weeks to train so hopefully I can run the full race length a few times before the actual race! Oh, an I just treated myself to 2 new pairs of shoes... so I can't wait to see if they make a difference. I've been having some mild knee pain after the long runs. I'd love to see that go away! :(
    Good luck to all that are training! Feel free to add me as a friend if you want another training buddy! :)
  • EvaD12
    EvaD12 Posts: 49
    Options
    I'm training for my first 1/2 in May, it's on the Great Wall of China so I'm terrified as it also involves lots of steps!

Any advice/help/tips from runners would be more than welcome.
  • MerBear1985
    Options
    Hello fellow runners! I was supposed to run my first half last September, but thanks to an injury and a 40lb weight gain on top of that my running has been severely limited and I have had to put off running my first half. I am just starting to get back into running now and training for my first ever half in September! I am very excited to reach this milestone in my running. I have run a couple 5K and 10K but REALLY want to finish a half! Everyone feel free to add me! It is always nice to have friends on here with the same interests!
  • rmd_fitness
    rmd_fitness Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I have gained more than 40 pounds since my last marathon in 2008 and injured my knee last July. So, I am walking my way back to running. I will target my next half in October. It will feel like the first time.
  • BrunetteWife
    BrunetteWife Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    I'm training for a half, though I don't know when I'm going to run one. I AM however running a 10 miler in April--getting the mileage in the next couple of weeks, then hopefully working on time!

This is pretty much me except my 10 miler is in March! I had to double check and make sure I didn't write your post and put the wrong month, lol. Good luck!!