Break Room Etiquette and Fish?

Options
classycouture
classycouture Posts: 888 Member
I'm curious to what everyone's thoughts are on leftover fish being reheated for lunch at work the next day. I never really thought about it before until about 20 minutes ago when I reheated last nights fish dinner and was greeted with disgusted looks and comments from a handful of coworkers about the smell. Now, I like to get the most for my money (seeing I don't have that much to go around), so I plan my meals with lunch leftovers in mind. Do I really have to pay attention to the food that I'm bringing into work, just because a few people don't care for the smell?

Replies

• _DaniD_
    _DaniD_ Posts: 2,186 Member
    Options
    My day sucks bad enough, I don't want to smell stinky fish.
  • NutellaAddict
    NutellaAddict Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    Why don't you eat it for dinner instead?
  • TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options
    People will find something to whine about no matter what.

Cook your fish and enjoy it...

Now burnt popcorn?....
  • LittleMissNerdy
    LittleMissNerdy Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    We actually have a rule here about fish in the microwave :laugh:
  • SteveJWatson
    SteveJWatson Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    Fish is good, healthy food.

Unless its like, old kippers or something, people who whinge about the smell of it cooking can GTFO.
  • spfldpam
    spfldpam Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    It's nasty! I have co workers at my office that do this all the time and I walk around with my nose covered by my shirt sleeve! A big office no no I feel.
  • spade117
    spade117 Posts: 2,466 Member
    Options
    Fish is something I usually don't have leftovers of. Even if there is leftovers, it's never been something we have saved.
  • WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options
    We actually have a rule here about fish in the microwave :laugh:

should be a law IMHO. same thing with microwave popcorn.

why should everyone else in the office be forced to endure one person's food odors?

if the odor just stayed in the break room, it wouldn't be so bad, but modern office buildings circulate that air all over the building.
  • SteveJWatson
    SteveJWatson Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    Are people who work in offices just naturally oversensetive darlings then?

If you dont like the smell of a perfectly usual foodstuff - its your problem, stop being so pathetic.
  • Shannonpurple
    Shannonpurple Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Yes that is rude to people around you.
  • Zandia_1
    Zandia_1 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Yeah. That's not cool. I used to be in an office near the break room and once a week someone would stink up break room. The problem is, that after the break was over and they went on their merry little way, I was stuck in a cloud of fishy fumes in my office for the rest of the day. :sick:

However, if you cook fresh fish in the microwave the smell doesn't linger. Although I've never done it at work, I've cooked seasoned tilapia in the microwave on high for 5 minutes and the smell quickly dissipates.
  • Cameron_1969
    Cameron_1969 Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    Gotta agree w/ the consensus here. it's that ONE thing you just can't cook in an office environment. .
  • Jxnsmma
    Jxnsmma Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    We actually had a building wide email from mgmt stating microwaving fish was not allowed in the building because we have a no scent policy LOL
  • LittleMissNerdy
    LittleMissNerdy Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    And maybe I'm just weird, but I'm not one to warm up certain things and fish is one of them. I'm fine eating cold salmon.
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    Reheat fish if you hate and/or want to troll your coworkers really bad. Follow it up with afternoon popcorn.
  • Richie2shoes
    Richie2shoes Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    As long as people continue to over load on perfume and cologne, I'll reheat fish in the microwave.
  • happywithme12
    happywithme12 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    That is the damn truth I work with a bunch of women and they always *****ing about something
  • WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options
    Reheat fish if you hate and/or want to troll your coworkers really bad. Follow it up with afternoon popcorn.

especially if you work in a different building. go to their building during lunch, use their break room, then return to your building.

+1
  • gimmegimmemoar
    gimmegimmemoar Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Everyone has the right to eat, but I sure don't enjoy the smells... Hence why I wait to eat or go somewhere else!
  • Bumdrahp
    Bumdrahp Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    I do it. I don't care. I am eating healthy, and could care less what others think. I do Tilapia or Salmon with brussels! Not a *kitten* is given.