Break Room Etiquette and Fish?

Options

Replies

• AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    I guess its your office and your decision -- my best friend at work's desk is right by the kitchen and she suffers thru some gross food, including fish, burnt toast & popcorn. She has asthma and sometimes it really does make her have to leave her desk.

I have a friend whose office posted a sign requesting that people be sensitive to the smell of their food or they would remove the microwave, a couple of weeks later they removed the microwave and were told they could no longer eat at their desks. I think that's pretty extreme, but can understand why they would do it.
  • moosegt35
    moosegt35 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    As someone very allergic to fish and shellfish, just smelling the fish smell could make me extremely ill. (My throat will start to swell shut just from breathing it in.) Leave it at home.

I also don't like burnt popcorn smell, but that is just an annoyance, not a life-threatening odor.

I guess no one should bring a peanut butter sandwich either because if they touch someone allergic to peanuts it could cause a reaction.
  • cathyfowler662
    cathyfowler662 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I was at the gym yesterday afternoon and someone in their breakroom heated fish to eat....I actually had to leave. It was already hot in there and I was on a treadmill...the smell of the fish was making want to vomit. It was my choice to leave.

At work my boss heats fish; it smells up the office, but we just give her a bad time about it. No big deal at work. Cook what you want.
  • Julettashane
    Julettashane Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    i dont care i eat what i want
  • san0322
    san0322 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    It's just not about something in particular stinking. There are people who have fish/shellfish allergies. That's definitely something to consider.

Personally, I have terrible allergies. Although I am not allergic to fish, it's not something I eat. However, any kind of strong or noxious smells really irritate me. This includes fish and burnt popcorn.

At work, I have the office furthest away from our kitchen, so I don't have to sit and smell most of what everyone cooks. But there was one day someone stunk up the entire office with a Hot Pocket - and it wasn't even burnt. I have never seen anyone in my office open their windows until that day.
  • WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options
    Yeahhhhhh I wouldn't worry about it. Eat your food. Honestly, I've never had anyone complain about the smell of seafood (salmon) when reheating it at work and I work with a bunch of people who would never consider eating healthy.

And besides, these are the people who routinely cook and burn popcorn or put ramen noodles or cup o soup into the microwave without water. There's NOTHING worse than that.
    would you want somebody walking into your cubicle or office and farting every morning and then walking away? same principle.
    But it's not really. Like, not at all, ever, in the least.

yes, it is. i've been there years ago. every single day there were 6 or 7 engineers on the same floor who would microwave little tupperware containers of fish and rice. every day. they were oblivious to the smell because it was normal for them. but the smell was piped into my office and i had to deal with it for hours until it dissipated. i sat at a SPARC workstation all day working on integrated circuit design. i couldn't get up and leave and i couldn't open a window to get fresh air. it sucked. it got to the point where i had to constantly block the air vent in my office with cardboard. so yes, it was as if they were coming into my office every afternoon, one at a time, and farting and then leaving. live through that and you'll understand.

i think most of the people thinking this isn't a big deal never had a cubicle or office next to a break room. mine wasn't that close, but the air recirculation system piped that break room air directly into my office since i had a corner office.
  • Lisafrazier71
    Lisafrazier71 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    If people have an issue with the way things smell in the break room, THEY should eat elsewhere, not you. Poor etiquette would be eye-rolling, dirty looks, nasty comments, etc... not you eating fish.
  • Julettashane
    Options
    i dont care i eat what i want....but there is only 4 of us girls here so its doesnt matter...unless its onions or seafood for one girl she cat stand it

edited to say i didnt mean to quote my own comment lol
  • AuddAlise
    AuddAlise Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    As someone very allergic to fish and shellfish, just smelling the fish smell could make me extremely ill. (My throat will start to swell shut just from breathing it in.) Leave it at home.

I also don't like burnt popcorn smell, but that is just an annoyance, not a life-threatening odor.

By this logic no one should eat a peanut butter sandwich at work either. Yes people have allergies but come on! Oh, and before you accuse me of being insensitive to people with allergies...I am allergic to milk (and any product made with milk) and eggs. I am gluten intolerant too. My husband is allergic to anything that comes out of the ocean and cabbage. My oldest child is allergic to red food dye and my youngest child is allergic to spinach, strawberries and peanuts. I understand allergies.
  • MelMoly
    MelMoly Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options
    i send my husband to work with leftovers all the time... and sometimes it is tuna noodle.. suck it
  • pwnderosa
    pwnderosa Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Lots of people do it here so I don't really worry about it. You can microwave some water with lemon after to help clear the smell from the room and microwave though, I do try to keep the microwave in good condition after I use it.

Now when we had the lady here who burned her popcorn EVERY DAY...that was a problem for people, hahaha!!
  • Julettashane
    Options
    i send my husband to work with leftovers all the time... and sometimes it is tuna noodle.. suck it

:laugh: :flowerforyou:
  • shirleygirl910
    shirleygirl910 Posts: 503 Member
    Options

I guess no one should bring a peanut butter sandwich either because if they touch someone allergic to peanuts it could cause a reaction.

This is nothing to laugh at. I have a friend that can't even smell peanuts or her throat swells. They have a no food, no perfume, no air freshener policy in thier office. Allergies can be life threatening.
  • moosegt35
    Options
    Yeahhhhhh I wouldn't worry about it. Eat your food. Honestly, I've never had anyone complain about the smell of seafood (salmon) when reheating it at work and I work with a bunch of people who would never consider eating healthy.

And besides, these are the people who routinely cook and burn popcorn or put ramen noodles or cup o soup into the microwave without water. There's NOTHING worse than that.
    would you want somebody walking into your cubicle or office and farting every morning and then walking away? same principle.
    But it's not really. Like, not at all, ever, in the least.

yes, it is. i've been there years ago. every single day there were 6 or 7 engineers on the same floor who would microwave little tupperware containers of fish and rice. every day. they were oblivious to the smell because it was normal for them. but the smell was piped into my office and i had to deal with it for hours until it dissipated. i sat at a SPARC workstation all day working on integrated circuit design. i couldn't get up and leave and i couldn't open a window to get fresh air. it sucked. it got to the point where i had to constantly block the air vent in my office with cardboard. so yes, it was as if they were coming into my office every afternoon, one at a time, and farting and then leaving. live through that and you'll understand.

i think most of the people thinking this isn't a big deal never had a cubicle or office next to a break room. mine wasn't that close, but the air recirculation system piped that break room air directly into my office since i had a corner office.

Cool story bro. Still is nowhere even remotely close to the same planet as someone coming around and farting in your cube all the time.
  • Cindym82
    Cindym82 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    I'm allergic to a lot of fish, and shell fish and the smell of warmed fish actually makes my throat start to close.....so YES you should be mindful of reheating it
  • halobender
    halobender Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    yes, it is.
    It's still nothing like that, as they were heating food which they were going to eat. They weren't simply heating it just to have it heated and then leave it.

There's really no comparison to blowing *kitten* in someone's office/cubicle.
  • moosegt35
    Options

This is nothing to laugh at. I have a friend that can't even smell peanuts or her throat swells. They have a no food, no perfume, no air freshener policy in thier office. Allergies can be life threatening.

I wasn't laughing, but it's still stupid logic. I work with 500 people, if no one could bring stuff that 1 other person was allergic to we would all be drinking water and eating peas.
  • SteveJWatson
    SteveJWatson Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options

No cubicle, but I did used to have to empty said barrels of old fishguts into a muckspreader every month or so......

You were allowed to go home and have a wash if it was your turn to do that. :laugh:

Once, one of the lids got stuck and somehow my boss fell into the (half-full) spreader...

How we all laughed (apart from him) - I think the smell clung to him for a week...
  • moosegt35
    Options
    Lots of people do it here so I don't really worry about it. You can microwave some water with lemon after to help clear the smell from the room and microwave though, I do try to keep the microwave in good condition after I use it.

Now when we had the lady here who burned her popcorn EVERY DAY...that was a problem for people, hahaha!!

Someone in my office does that everyday too and I wonder how anyone can be so stupid to burn popcorn every single day and not figure it out.
  • SteveJWatson
    SteveJWatson Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options

I wasn't laughing, but it's still stupid logic. I work with 500 people, if no one could bring stuff that 1 other person was allergic to we would all be drinking water and eating peas.

Its not stupid logic - its no logic.

If you have someone with a nut allergy does nobody bring anything with nuts in? Thought not.