So scared of carbs! HELP!

Options

Replies

• k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    Why? Carbs (in moderation) are good for you.... Just make better choices and find ways that you won't binge. I try to get most of my carbs from fruits and vegetables instead of my more favorite cookies and pasta... and then treat myself with dark chocolate so I don't feel deprived of the sweets and it curbs my binges on other sweets...
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    Carbs are usually full of sugar and sugar causes your body to crave more sugar, which is why you can't stop eating them.

Sure, if you like wonder bread and twinkies. If you eat a diet moderate in HEALTHY, slow digesting carbs that aren't full of added sugars, you won't get an insulin spike making you crave more crap carbs.

Problem solved.
  • shanander
    shanander Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Carbs are usually full of sugar and sugar causes your body to crave more sugar, which is why you can't stop eating them.

Sure, if you like wonder bread and twinkies. If you eat a diet moderate in HEALTHY, slow digesting carbs that aren't full of added sugars, you won't get an insulin spike making you crave more crap carbs.

Problem solved.
    Which is why the following paragraph mentioned eating good carbs.
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    Thanks. My typical routine is high protein, low carbs, and then I binge, gain weight from the carb binge, and start over again and again each week. I also eat under 1200 calories (which is bad I know!) and then I'm starving at the end of the day and end up binging, beating myself up and watching the scale slowly go up. I think I'll check out Tosca Reno's eat clean diet and go from there. So sick of beating myself up over this carb thing. :explode: :grumble: :cry:

Soooo...it's actually not carbs that is wrong - it's the way you are doing it......And you know it:sad: So why keep on with it?

You don't have to cut carbs that low to lose weight....You should not eat so little that you feel the need to binge...Not sure what to tell you, because you already know what the problem is - and only you can fix it....
  • shanander
    shanander Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Everytime I binge (which is always carbs!) I gain like crazy. I'd love to just be able to eat normal and only worry about calories but for some reason I am scared to death of carbs and weight gain! If I eat "good" carbs and limit calories I'm sure I'll start losing again but I can't wrap my head around this concept.

Please tell me carbs are not the scary evil monster that my brain is making them out to be!:sad:

A simple answer that probably isn't very debatable is that carbs are not necessarily an evil monster. Sugar, however, is. I don't know anyone that can defend having sugar as a part of your diet.
  • Bonnieelizabeth
    Bonnieelizabeth Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    There is nothing to be scared of carbs. The key to loosing weight is to have complex carbs. I eat food that has carbs I just don't go over a certain level. I weigh my food and eat a snack in between breakfast and lunch one in between lunch and dinner and one before bedtime. This helps keep the metabolism up. Almonds are good for you and are healthy and make a great snack. Hope this helps.
  • aelunyu
    aelunyu Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    Carbs don't make you fat. Fat doesn't make you fat. Excess calories make you fat.

It sounds like you're binging because you feel deprived from going low carb. Have you tried a moderate carb plan? It doesn't have to be all or nothing.

^^^THIS^^^ I have been on a plan that is lower in carb, not "low carb" and it has proved very beneficial to me---my body fat has gone from 50% to 32% in two years, and I hope to be at 25% in a year or so--but I will be patient and it will take the amount of time that it takes. One of the things that I found out about myself was that sugar caused me to binge, so I eliminated it--same with wheat. BUT I eat everything else, including one or two pieces of 100% rye bread every day (two pieces on my heavy exercise days). I keep my carb intake to 100-200 grams per day (with the higher amounts on my more intense exercise days) to control my blood sugar spikes without doing damage to my muscles from too low an intake of carbohydrates.

One thing that men on these forums don't always take into account is that women have slightly different bio-chemistry from men because of the influence of the much higher levels of estrogen that women have (yes, men have estrogen too but a tiny amount in comparison to women and estrogen raises blood sugar---for reasons of gestation). As such, most women need to restrict their carbohydrate intake a bit more than men, who, by virtue of their greater muscle mass, can burn off carbohydrates faster than women. Increasing your muscle mass will also help you a great deal.
    Biochemistry in hormones yes, but utilization of macronutrients is the same by both genders (unless of course there is hormonal disruption ie Thyroid). It basically comes down to calories.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

By this you can only mean that the substrates are metabolized through identical pathways after digestion. we can paint a very clear and precise picture of what a gram of glucose is supposed to do from mouth to stomach and beyond, but that's not really useful.

The distinction must be made that although nutrients are digested the same way in all of us, they are not metabolized and partitioned in the same way at all. One individual operating within a set caloric intake may respond much more favorably to low carb than another, using the same exact caloric limit. A sedentary individual probably has terrible insulin response, coupled with almost non existent levels of protein synthesis, thereby having poor glycogen uptake. Poor glycogen uptake then induces the body to favor lipogenesis (fat storage). This is a reason why exercise is important. It is also hindered by stress hormones, which act antagonistically to growth factors.

Bottom line is this: your body can be a lean mean carb burning machine. if you train it through exercise to be. your muscles will be a sponge for those carbs, and you will not store them as fat, if they are needed for energy (exercise). If you go long periods not exercising, your muscles lose the ability to utilize carbs efficiently, or to store carbs within the muscles (decreased insulin sensitivity), and therefore it will bypass glycogen uptake and go to the fat storage route. The extreme of this scenario is then the body's inability to be sensitive to insulin at all (diabetes).
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    One thing that men on these forums don't always take into account is that women have slightly different bio-chemistry from men because of the influence of the much higher levels of estrogen that women have (yes, men have estrogen too but a tiny amount in comparison to women and estrogen raises blood sugar---for reasons of gestation). As such, most women need to restrict their carbohydrate intake a bit more than men, who, by virtue of their greater muscle mass, can burn off carbohydrates faster than women. Increasing your muscle mass will also help you a great deal.

oOeBO81.gif

FTW!

and...uh.... whoever wrote this nonsense above, please get your own Dr. Bro MD.

No reason to attempt to be insulting---everything I wrote is absolutely true. Estrogen DOES raise blood sugar and it also slows the utilization of thyroid hormone. Adequate blood sugar levels are essential for the brain development of a fetus. Ever heard of gestational diabetes? There is evidence that those women who have gestational diabetes give birth to infants that have higher levels of intelligence when measured in long-term studies. Look it up if you don't believe me.

Are you confusing estrogen with human placental lactogen?

Mayhap so.
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    also, this article indicates that women who have gone through menopause and receive estrogen replacement have better blood sugar than women who don't receive estrogen replacement.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/28686-estrogen-replacement-effect-blood-sugar/

This is what happens when people tell me to look things up.

My point is and will always be that fear mongering over estrogen and carbs is leading people down the wrong path. If someone has some extreme hormone issue that really causes an issue, or some medical issue, like diabetes, that plays a role, of course that needs to be taken into account. But there is no reason why women should eat less carbs than men.
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    Carbs don't make you fat. Fat doesn't make you fat. Excess calories make you fat.

It sounds like you're binging because you feel deprived from going low carb. Have you tried a moderate carb plan? It doesn't have to be all or nothing.

^^^THIS^^^ I have been on a plan that is lower in carb, not "low carb" and it has proved very beneficial to me---my body fat has gone from 50% to 32% in two years, and I hope to be at 25% in a year or so--but I will be patient and it will take the amount of time that it takes. One of the things that I found out about myself was that sugar caused me to binge, so I eliminated it--same with wheat. BUT I eat everything else, including one or two pieces of 100% rye bread every day (two pieces on my heavy exercise days). I keep my carb intake to 100-200 grams per day (with the higher amounts on my more intense exercise days) to control my blood sugar spikes without doing damage to my muscles from too low an intake of carbohydrates.

Biochemistry in hormones yes, but utilization of macronutrients is the same by both genders (unless of course there is hormonal disruption ie Thyroid). It basically comes down to calories.

IDEA Fitness member
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

By this you can only mean that the substrates are metabolized through identical pathways after digestion. we can paint a very clear and precise picture of what a gram of glucose is supposed to do from mouth to stomach and beyond, but that's not really useful.

The distinction must be made that although nutrients are digested the same way in all of us, they are not metabolized and partitioned in the same way at all. One individual operating within a set caloric intake may respond much more favorably to low carb than another, using the same exact caloric limit. A sedentary individual probably has terrible insulin response, coupled with almost non existent levels of protein synthesis, thereby having poor glycogen uptake. Poor glycogen uptake then induces the body to favor lipogenesis (fat storage). This is a reason why exercise is important. It is also hindered by stress hormones, which act antagonistically to growth factors.

Bottom line is this: your body can be a lean mean carb burning machine. if you train it through exercise to be. your muscles will be a sponge for those carbs, and you will not store them as fat, if they are needed for energy (exercise). If you go long periods not exercising, your muscles lose the ability to utilize carbs efficiently, or to store carbs within the muscles (decreased insulin sensitivity), and therefore it will bypass glycogen uptake and go to the fat storage route. The extreme of this scenario is then the body's inability to be sensitive to insulin at all (diabetes).

Excellent--thanks! :flowerforyou:
  • SanteMulberry
    Options
    also, this article indicates that women who have gone through menopause and receive estrogen replacement have better blood sugar than women who don't receive estrogen replacement.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/28686-estrogen-replacement-effect-blood-sugar/

This is what happens when people tell me to look things up.

My point is and will always be that fear mongering over estrogen and carbs is leading people down the wrong path. If someone has some extreme hormone issue that really causes an issue, or some medical issue, like diabetes, that plays a role, of course that needs to be taken into account. But there is no reason why women should eat less carbs than men.

How do you know that it wasn't the progesterone supplementation that they received at the same time? That would actually make sense, as a woman's own natural progesterone supply diminishes in advance of the diminution of her estrogen supply (because of the loss of ovulation). Progesterone enhances the utilization of thyroid hormone.

Everyone who is obese has "hormone issues" especially those who are morbidly obese. It isn't hopeless of course--people can and do radically change their health status--sounds like you have and I know I have. A number of diabetes researchers are now thinking that obesity and Type II diabetes is essentially the same disease and have referred to it as "diabesity".
  • SanteMulberry
    Options

oOeBO81.gif

FTW!

and...uh.... whoever wrote this nonsense above, please get your own Dr. Bro MD.

No reason to attempt to be insulting---everything I wrote is absolutely true. Estrogen DOES raise blood sugar and it also slows the utilization of thyroid hormone. Adequate blood sugar levels are essential for the brain development of a fetus. Ever heard of gestational diabetes? There is evidence that those women who have gestational diabetes give birth to infants that have higher levels of intelligence when measured in long-term studies. Look it up if you don't believe me.

Are you confusing estrogen with human placental lactogen?

Mayhap so.

No. They are not sure that HPL is responsible for gestational diabetes. It could be estrogen itself, as gestational diabetes is is a risk factor for the development of Type II diabetes without further pregnancy.
  • andyisandy
    andyisandy Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Carbs have gotten a bad rap.

Carbs are good for you. Over eating anything is what causes weight gain.

Simply watch your calories and ensure you get plenty of protein. You'll be fine.
    /thread
  • SoViLicious
    SoViLicious Posts: 2,633 Member
    Options
    I just don't know what to say.
  • RobynMWilson
    RobynMWilson Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    No they're not! Look at my diary! I eat about 40% of my cals in carbs. Mainly whole grains, natural sugars (although I do eat the fruit on the bottom Chobani lol) and i'm in the best shape of my life! I even have the occasional white roll with my dad's homemade soups. I haven't spontaneously combusted yet!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,709 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

But don't forget the effect that estrogen has on the utilization of thyroid hormone.
    Normal function of estrogen wouldn't have a bad effect. Unless someone is unbalanced hormonally like I stated, this is a non issue.

IDEA Fitness member
  • SanteMulberry
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

But don't forget the effect that estrogen has on the utilization of thyroid hormone.
    Normal function of estrogen wouldn't have a bad effect. Unless someone is unbalanced hormonally like I stated, this is a non issue.

IDEA Fitness member

Most obese women I have ever known have hormonal balance problems--even if they don't talk about it much to others. It's pretty embarrassing to admit.
  • SanteMulberry
    Options

Problem solved.

I agree---that is why I finally figured out that I had to stop eating anything with added sugar in it. I also figured out that eating wheat wasn't a very good idea either as I got blood sugar spikes from it too. (Interestingly, I don't seem to get blood sugar spikes from eating 100% rye bread.) I eat plenty of healthy carbs--but still only average about 40% of calories.
  • serenapitala
    serenapitala Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    If I eat "good" carbs and limit calories I'm sure I'll start losing again but I can't wrap my head around this concept.

You just wrapped your head around it. You're right and you know you are.
    The other thing is that you cannot completely deny yourself bad carbs. The denial leads to the binge.
    Last point, you could eat a crappy diet and still lose the weight. I did it for months. I'm just getting better about what I eat. I was losing weight for eight months and fifty pounds before I really tried to change WHAT I eat. So, I suspect that your problem is that your binges are taking you way over on calories, not that you're eating too many carbs.I'm not saying those carbs are good, but they aren't likely to be causing weight gain. Calories cause weight gain. Carbs have their own health problems.
  • serenapitala
    serenapitala Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    There are no good or bad foods. You've hit the nail on the head there yourself which is binge eating of them. If you were binge eating any other food, it would also make you gain. Eat and drink within your macros and move your body more and don't be afraid of food. You should remember that whilst it sometimes feels otherwise, you are in charge of the food, not the other way round.

Well put!